Valour FC Season Thread 2019

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

I think we see more guys in USL heading north after this season. Understandably, lots of them wanted to see what CPL looked like before making a move.

CPL makes more sense than USL at this rate

I wonder if part of the reason for the switch occurring later in the season was so that Bustos could collect a few paycheques from OKC before signing with Valour so that his personal season is a bit longer than the CPL season.  Think the same thing might have occurred with Didic and Edmonton.  Makes sense from a players perspective.

He wasn't starting regularly:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marco-bustos/leistungsdaten/spieler/294685/saison/2018/plus/1#USL

so looks like a parting of the ways by mutual consent sort of scenario. Also possible if certain rumoured big name signings aren't happening that the Valour are now in a position to offer him better terms than was the case a few months ago.

Either way he is a big pick up even if it is an already stacked midfield. 

He will be great foil for hoyle. Not just for rhyming purposes. 

The worry is when hoyle potentially gets injured. Can Ferguson step up. Bustos wont offer a physical presence up front. Calgary were on point with their pick ups upfront. Might well pay off.

I got to my first game on saturday against halifax.  The new stadium is impressive, any negatives from a smallish crowd in the big stadium were offset by the excellent set up.  Parking, concessions, seating, sound system etc etc.  no temporary bleachers and port-a potties.  It was loud enough my 4year old was covering his ears when we scored and MrsC and the RRR kept up the singing until the end.  A pretty good crowd for a day that had threats of rain.  If we can draw between 5-7g a game the owners should be pleased.  Ali Musse stood out for me along with Bustos (although i expected him to be a cut above).  Overall a good game, decent level of play and a great experience for my family.  

Did anyone else notice Bustos climb into the stands and take a bunch of pics with what I assumed were family members at games end??  Very nice to see.  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I got to my first game on saturday against halifax.  The new stadium is impressive, any negatives from a smallish crowd in the big stadium were offset by the excellent set up.  Parking, concessions, seating, sound system etc etc.  no temporary bleachers and port-a potties.  It was loud enough my 4year old was covering his ears when we scored and MrsC and the RRR kept up the singing until the end.  A pretty good crowd for a day that had threats of rain.  If we can draw between 5-7g a game the owners should be pleased.  Ali Musse stood out for me along with Bustos (although i expected him to be a cut above).  Overall a good game, decent level of play and a great experience for my family.  

Did anyone else notice Bustos climb into the stands and take a bunch of pics with what I assumed were family members at games end??  Very nice to see.  

That's one of the nice things with having WFC own Valour - they know how to put on a game day at IGF. They can handle 33000+ people at that facility. Even 10K would be a cake walk.

39 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

That's one of the nice things with having WFC own Valour - they know how to put on a game day at IGF. They can handle 33000+ people at that facility. Even 10K would be a cake walk.

I hope if they get another crowd close to 10k, like the opener, they adequately staff the concessions. The lines and the concourses at halftime of Valour-Edmonton were more congested than for a Bomber game when there are often nearly twice as many people in the lower bowl.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

I hope if they get another crowd close to 10k, like the opener, they adequately staff the concessions. The lines and the concourses at halftime of Valour-Edmonton were more congested than for a Bomber game when there are often nearly twice as many people in the lower bowl.

I missed the home opener but I think they will learn from it (I assume). Hopefully if Valour is in the hunt for the CPL Championship at year end we'll be getting some big crowds

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

Good News (for me especially, I had 3 kids with events)! WYSA has postponed all practices and games for Develpmental and Premier squads this Thursday so there will be no conflicts with the Valour game. 

@Winnipeg Fury does this mean your conflict is resolved too? 

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

@Winnipeg Fury does this mean your conflict is resolved too? 

I had requested weeks ago to have my Rec league game that is scheduled tomorrow moved, as a number of us are season ticket holders.  I was denied.

I have e-mailed the bastards, to find out why our game is still scheduled.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Good News (for me especially, I had 3 kids with events)! WYSA has postponed all practices and games for Develpmental and Premier squads this Thursday so there will be no conflicts with the Valour game. 

We've all been there, struggling for field time but I can't help but wonder why this is even a problem. 

And maybe it's not a problem.  Maybe most of Valour's fixtures don't conflict with youth amateur dates but somehow I doubt it.  This year anyway.  Maybe in 2010 and beyond off nights will be Valour nights.  We'll see.  But they should be.  

13 hours ago, Lofty said:

Nova Scotia have agreed to schedule around Wanderers' fixtures. Manitoba, when asked about doing the same for Valour, said that scheduling is hard. Maybe so, compared to, say, making a cuppa, but even so it ain't exactly splitting the atom. And why it should be harder in Manitoba than it is in Nova Scotia remains a mystery.

Maybe the late release of the CPL fixture list was an issue but if you love the sport then just suck it up and make the necessary changes.

I remember reading that They wouldn't be able to do it for Valour. Great to see they were able to pull it off for this one. At the very least it shows they will be trying moving forward. 

3 hours ago, johnyb said:

I remember reading that They wouldn't be able to do it for Valour. Great to see they were able to pull it off for this one. At the very least it shows they will be trying moving forward. 

Well they have NOT pulled it off for all the rec teams/league.  I was told weeks ago that my club's conflict with Valour was "not an exceptional circumstance and no different than conflicting with a Bomber, Goldeye or any other professional sporting game."

I e-mailed WYSA today and have not received an answer.  My team kicks off in less than 3 hours.  

BASTARDS

WYSA just called.  They apologized and said they were afraid if I got it, there would be tons of other teams requesting it, and they would not be able to accommodate.  They have agreed to reschedule my club game on June 20, which conflicts with Valour.  Not much they can do about tonight.

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

29 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Tough game. Muenkat was a bright spot on offence, other than that it wasn't pretty..

When I'm feeling less aggrieved I'm going to have to watch the broadcast because I thought the man was a complete waste.

That being said, bloody effing Hell.  8 of the 11 out there tonight were rubbish so it doesn't matter what 9,10 or 11 brings to the pitch if they're hopelessy surrounded by crack heads.  

And no disrespect to Forge but Valour were THAT BAD.   Unforced errors, how many wayward passes!, isolated movements, confused movements, was all just a shambles.  Or it felt that way from my section.  I know the lads are exhausted, it's showing, but GAWD DAMIT.

Only positive was I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd, mid 4K I'd guess, and increasingly involved with each passing match.  That's grand, even if they're heading for the exits with 10 minutes to play.

P.S.  Triston Henry is a twat.  Great for a laugh like many other clowns, he had the whole north side of the grandstand giggling there towards the end, but a twat all the same.   

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

Muenkat #11 grew into the match and made a good contribution in the last half hour.

In all my years of watching football, that is the first time I have ever seen a match stopped for a goalkeeper break dance. He had some nice moves!

I had a good chat with him in one of the meet the Forge events and he seemed such a quiet, shy guy, he had lots to say though about Canadian soccer vs US soccer, I never would have thought he'd be into all of these theatrics! 

Tough one to watch for sure. Seems like Gale is going out of his way to be a players coach. With Pena's inclusion last night that means every player has spent time on the pitch. Tough to build chemistry amoung the players when they never use the same lineup. Pretty much lost the CONCACAF League opportunity already. Good attendance and crowd, be nice to be able to give them more to cheer for. I hope its a case of 1 step Back for 2 forward.

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not so worried.  Gale doesnt even know what he has yet... 

He should, if he's doing his job properly. By the end of the long preseason that they had all of  the teams should have been almost fully up to speed. Agree with the second rationale you came up with though given its not just about the crowded schedule but the grueling travel compared to what happens in most countries. Some teams' answer on that will be to try to rotate a lot. In Europe, teams that play a European game on a Wednesday or Thursday evening often struggle compared to their usual form the following weekend in domestic competition. The air travel and timezone changes for a CanPL team are a lot worse than a couple of hours on a luxury bus on a motorway for a lower division English club.

17 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not so worried.  Gale doesnt even know what he has yet.  Better get every player out there and see what sticks.  Plus its too crowded a schedule to get hung up on one lineup, there is going to be big time rotation.  

I think this has to be the philosophy for all the coaches, at Pacific it is similar: see what you have, let everyone get involved, build the depth a bit, and then start to press and push and define a starting core. Many teams are still rotating keepers even. I am all for it. At least for the Spring season.

When a team owner begins to say we are doing poorly at the gate because of results, the coaches will get the message and start to more clearly define their "best" team.