Valour FC Season Thread 2019

10 hours ago, jonovision said:

Like bicycle? There and back?

bicycle, but just one way.  It's 85 km and I usually try to ride 60-80 km on a Saturday, or ride 30-40 km and run 10 km.  The Valour Saturday games over the last couple of weeks have gotten in the way of my Saturday workout, so I'm looking forward to combining Valour and my workout 

2 minutes ago, MrsC said:

bicycle, but just one way.  It's 85 km and I usually try to ride 60-80 km on a Saturday, or ride 30-40 km and run 10 km.  The Valour Saturday games over the last couple of weeks have gotten in the way of my Saturday workout, so I'm looking forward to combining Valour and my workout 

Nice. I too try to fit in a long ride on the weekends at a few shorter ones during the week. I also have ridden to most events I've attended at the stadium and hopefully will do a few times this year, but it's not the nicest nor most intense riding.

Make sure to check the wind forecast! If you've never ridden out that way, Hwy 26 (through St Francis Xavier) adds about 10km compared to the #1 but is much less stressful.

1 hour ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

Golubar out for season with torn ACL

Expected news, but still bad. Valour's midfield looks even smaller (stature-wise) now, and this is a problem in a league that permits a lot of physical play.

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

I've watched every game and I do not agree that he has been "easily one of their most impressive players". He lost the ball a fair bit more than I expected, was around 50/50 in winning tackles, and was more of a link up midfielder than a playmaker. Link up midfielders are much easier to replace than playmaking midfielders. Which is not to say that he was not solid -- he was -- but overall I'd give him a "B": not exactly my idea of "impressive".

Players who have been "impressive" are Sacramento and Arguiñarena (A), Petrasso (A-), and to some extent also Guitiérrez Zuñiga, Musse, and Bustos (B+).

So, overall, certainly a loss that weakens the team, but hardly a devastating one.

I'd have Sacramento in the Bs, but still good. I really like what I've seen from Gutierrez.

With Golubar, there were flashes where it was clear he had more ability than anyone else on the park but wasn't always active enough to make a big impact on the game. Maybe not surprising when this seemed like his retirement gig from the Slovenian second division.

20 hours ago, Lofty said:

Has anybody else noticed that when you go to the Valour website and choose Schedule --> 2019 Club Schedule, the VCup matches do not show up?

There are a pair of related drop downs above and you have to change the top one to see the VCup matches. How many casual fans are going to miss that and think that the next home match is June 20th?

Could we please just have a listing of ALL matches, whatever competition, by default?

It must be that way for all CPL teams. The same happens on the Pacific site. Was very annoying.

Looks like the Valour FC home game on August 22nd will have to be re-scheduled to accommodate the NFL preseason game being hosted in Winnipeg between Green Bay and Oakland.

This may be a blessing in disguise because as currently scheduled, Valour would have matches on Thursday and Saturday (Aug 22 and 24), the only such 2 games in 3 days scenario on the schedule.

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Bringing it forward to Tue (ideally) or Wed would make sense. It is really not good enough to schedule two games in less than 48 hours when the second one is such a long way away. The schedule has done Valour no favours this season.

Welp this is what is in our ticket manager accounts so.... they pretty much rescheduled on the worst possible date.image.png.01dbff7d91007ad21aa69f8cc8e1cafe.png

40 minutes ago, MrsC said:

Welp this is what is in our ticket manager accounts so.... they pretty much rescheduled on the worst possible date.image.png.01dbff7d91007ad21aa69f8cc8e1cafe.png

It's better for the players than it was before, but still bad. I'm guessing the NFL/Bombers are requesting control of the stadium for at least 48 hours in advance of the Packers-Raiders game.

Real slap in the face by the Bombers to to move a regular season game for a meaningless pre-season game from another league. I won't be surprised if they fold the team sooner than later.  Non- Soccer people running a team is always a bad idea. The message is awful, sorry we have something better that night.  The league should step in and do something. I can't imagine a European club saying we will cancel our regular game because we found a way to make more money with the stadium. This league will fold if it accepts being treated as second class.

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

As someone who has certainly not baulked at criticising the way Valour is being run when I feel it is deserved, I don't mind this. An NFL game in Winnipeg is pretty huge, even a pre-season one. There are lots of Packer fans here. It will definitely be sold out and enjoyed by many. I think it would have been nuts to say "sorry, can't do it, Valour play their 4th CPL match against FCE that day". I really don't see this as treating Valour as second class, but more of a sensible compromise that benefits many and harms no one. In fact, as pointed out above, it is actually better for Valour, from a playing standpoint anyway.

I think if we started trying to protect our turf instead of working with other pro sports teams, it would end badly.

It's pure second class. The Bombers apparently wouldn't allow the game on the 23rd because the Bombers were on TV yet move a regular scheduled game because it's only soccer. I love the NFL but not over my team. I hope they issues refunds for those who can't make the rescheduled game.

Edited by sting

14 minutes ago, Lofty said:

That makes perfect sense as Bomber fans are exactly the demographic who would go to the NFL game!

Games in England get moved all the time at the behest of the Sky TV Overlords, often at extremely short notice (sometimes as short as 2 weeks!) and often after many fans have bought advance train tickets which are then useless.

Moving this one game for a very good reason is no big deal for this Valour STH.

It is to this one. If the league allows this stuff to start it will keep snowballing to other things. Bumping TV games for bowling events etc. It doesn't take much for things to start derailing quickly. Making this league look professional right off the bat is important.

Edited by sting

You can justify it any way you want.  A tenant's previously scheduled fixture was moved to accomodiate a revenue generating exhibition.  It's quite clear who are the 2nd class citizens here.   Two home fixtures in 48 hours is light years past stupid.

So very professional.  No? 

Oh, I fully expect the quality of play during that 2nd home match to be worth every single cent I paid for my season passes.  No doubt  about it.  It'll do wonders to promote this product we call the CPL to the ticket buying public into 2020 after this NFL one-off has moved on to whatever other B list city it can flog its worthless pre-season exhibitions to.    

Would there be a team in Winnipeg without Miller and the Bomber's?  Don't know.  I suspect likely not, but that doesn't absolve them of criticism for improper actions. 

Now, if the Valour BoD agreed to accept monetary compentiation to reschedule the fixture that's a different matter.  That's a decision they are going to wear.  But as it stands now, this is on the Bombers.    

The gate revenue from the NFL game will almost certainly exceed the revenue from the entire Valour season. There will be costs as well, but undoubtedly this will be a windfall for a heavily indebted sports ownership group that includes Valour. Allowing the NFL game to bump the Valour match is a no-brainer and any of the other CPL groups would have done the same given the opportunity. The rescheduling wasn't ideal, but we don't know how much flexibility there was between Edmonton, the league, and the stadium operations side of things. And it's worth remembering that for the team and players, two home games in 48 hours is better than a home game followed by a game in Victoria less than 48 hours later.

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

I don't think there is a separate Valour BoD. Winnipeg Football Club has one BoD that runs both Valour and the Bombers, although the Board members are surely all or mostly CFL people.

By the way, for many years the EPL used to schedule two matches in 48 hours over both Christmas and Easter Sat/Mon. So it is hardly unprecedented and the second match was never any less competitive. Of course BOTH teams had that short turn around.

I really don't get all the angst.

The Xmas-New Years schedule has been loved/hated for years now.  Love all the football during the Holiday Season, hate the battle fatigue.  And no CPL team carrys anything resembling the quality or the depth of an EPL roster.

If the CPL allows a team to play matches in anything less than a 72 hour window, then they're wrong, and it needs to change.  But as importantly the question needs to be asked.  What is the league minimum time frame between competitive fixtures?

If IG Field cannot accomodate Valour FC and a change of venue is required I can live with that being a necessary evil.  Just to be a good partner and so long as Valour are financially compensated.  

The 48 hour, sorry, 50 hour window between kickoffs I cannot accept.