Valour FC Season Thread 2019

I

15 hours ago, Lofty said:

I doubt whether they will end up opening extra sections but it is possible. Still some decent pairs of seats available but not many.

I haven't noticed that they have released the block of seats that they normally hold back, so we will probably see more seats available in the 'regular' seating area later in the week.  That doesn't bode well for opening up a sections across the way, but who knows?  Maybe walk up sales will be strong on Canada Day, and they will decide to open it.

2 hours ago, MrsC said:

I

I haven't noticed that they have released the block of seats that they normally hold back, so we will probably see more seats available in the 'regular' seating area later in the week.  That doesn't bode well for opening up a sections across the way, but who knows?  Maybe walk up sales will be strong on Canada Day, and they will decide to open it.

Thanks all - I'm probably going to get them changed this afternoon. 

Also, IGF for Canada Day is doing $5 beer and $3 hot dogs so I expect a pretty rowdy crowd!

Valour is the team I would expect to see the most improvement from in the second half of the season. Idk how preseason went, but it seemed that Gale didn't know what they had to work with coming into the season and have slowly learned that players like Garcia and Ohin can be real contributors. The addition of Bustos also makes a big difference. If this team stays healthy, I would expect them to be a top 3 squad in the league. 

Edited by Pottsy3

^ Yes, at the beginning of the season it seemed like the team on the field was well ahead of the combination of marketing efforts, ticket sales and profile locally, but I think those positions are close to becoming reversed.

Sales for the July 1st match are looking like the biggest crowd since the opener, and I wouldn't be surprised if they open up a few more sections for this one.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Still more blue dots available than that last comment might suggest, in my opinion. Anything north of 6000 actual with no freebies involved is very good and it looks like that is definitely happening.

Fewer blue dots than 3 days in advance of the other home matches to date. We'll see.

8 hours ago, jonovision said:

^ Yes, at the beginning of the season it seemed like the team on the field was well ahead of the combination of marketing efforts, ticket sales and profile locally, but I think those positions are close to becoming reversed.

Sales for the July 1st match are looking like the biggest crowd since the opener, and I wouldn't be surprised if they open up a few more sections for this one.

$5 Beers!...Nuff said

On 6/28/2019 at 8:12 AM, jonovision said:

Actually, it turns out their marketing dept was missing a person or two when Valour was launching so they couldn't get as much advertising out there.

(Disclosure - the company I work for were working with WFC on some cross-promotion work and I get along well with our head of marketing).

Hoyle released.

He looked great for his first 50 minutes in a Valour uniform but was ineffective since. It seems like a niggling injury or general lack of fitness were an issue, but this is still surprising for someone who was their first (or one of?) signing.

Also suggests to me more moves are coming as they now have an extra roster spot.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-release-forward-stephen-hoyle

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

It is hard to tell what went wrong. Why did Hoyle play so rarely? Released after what, 4 starts or so?

Looks as though Tyler Attardo will be seeing lots of game time going forward, although Valour now definitely need to sign another striker.

There was a lot of speculation that he was battling an injury. But his price tag & being passed by Petrasso & Attadro on the depth chart probably sealed his fate.

Moving forward I would guess that we would look for a Golubar replacement.

27 minutes ago, Lofty said:

We only have 2 out and out strikers! And one of them is Calum Ferguson, with an astonishing 2 goals in over 40 professional apps! We need two more strikers!

My bad - I didn't look at the position listing. Attardo is a LW and Petrasso is a RW. That being said, Musse is also listed as a CF like Hoyle & Ferguson. 

I will stand by what I said with a Golubar replacement - perhaps Kianz Froese: https://www.transfermarkt.com/kianz-froese/profil/spieler/294701

"Stevie, we really got to get you running onto some of these through balls.  Penetrate that back line."

"I've run more this last 2 months than all of 2018.  I'm a target forward."

"Yeah I know but we really need some more direct puncturing up top there.  BLAM!  You know?  So we're going to work on your acceleration going forward so here you go, just get you to hold these car batteries and trott up and down the grandstand for the rest of the week and we'll see how things are come Friday."

"????.  Bob, do you even know what you're talking about?  I'm a target forward.  I play with my back to goal.  Other people run off of me."

"Shut up you're fat."

There you go.  Mutual agreement.

8 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Fair enough but I'm not sure those position listings are accurate.

I know Musse has been played as a CF a few times but he played right wing/midfield in the training sessions I watched and I have read that that is where he likes to play. And his (lack of) output as a CF seems to back this up. One goal in (I'm guessing) 6 matches? Not even close to being good enough for a striker.

Attardo has been played wide sometimes but where have his two goals come from? Centre forward's headers! It is pretty clear to me that he is primarily a CF. He also adds some badly needed height to the attack. Ferguson is a hobbit.

I agree with Petrasso as RW/RM but his finishing is not great. Witness his one goal was a pen. Of course he has been injured a lot so it is hard to do a fair assessment.

We were counting on Hoyle for goals. Attardo has stepped up but he needs help. We have lots of options at attacking midfield and winger, but we definitely need more poachers.

Edit: Aha! This CPL article about Musse calls him a winger: https://canpl.ca/article/ali-the-moose-valour-fc-winger-musse-aims-for-breakout-season

I was using transfermarkt's listings although with all the various permutations of tactics the positions might not be.

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Hoyle released.

He looked great for his first 50 minutes in a Valour uniform but was ineffective since. It seems like a niggling injury or general lack of fitness were an issue, but this is still surprising for someone who was their first (or one of?) signing.

Also suggests to me more moves are coming as they now have an extra roster spot.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-release-forward-stephen-hoyle

Finally come to terms with Forlan?

Edited by toontownman

Can't all be blamed on Hoyle, looking at him play (like someone mentioned earlier) he was primarily looking for through balls whic CLEARLY is not his best attribute. I would also always see him running everywhere on the pitch like a midfield. I'm not confident with Gale's tactics at all but hopefully we can find a striker that fits are style of play. Fergusson is another one who I find doesn't fit, we are good at bringing it up the field with pace and then once we get to the attacking third we freeze. I think we need to push the pace with our wing players. 

I would like to see Mark Anthony Gonzalez get a shot, he was with SKC's USL team and with Reno last year but didn't stick. I think he could fit our style of play a little better. 

I remember early on in the season, in one of Gale's press conferences, he made a comment about certain players sitting out if they weren't going to play in the system they were being asked to play.  I can't remember if he specifically said it was Hoyle, or if I just assumed it was, but Hoyle definitely sat out that week, and that comment stuck with me as Hoyle continued to see limited playing time.  If there wasn't a good fit, it's best we moved on.

I was skeptical at the time these sorts of signings were being announced that players like Hoyle and Ferguson would have anything to offer that would be a big step up from what the best local PDL and MMSL players in Winnipeg could do if given the opportunity. There is plenty of reasonably high quality amateur soccer in Canada that gets treated as "beer league" by most people when it's really something a lot better than that.