Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Ryan Brandt is still peddling the David Edgar thing:

It is certainly news to me that there are no plans for him to re-sign with the club. I doubt that Newcastle or Sunderland are beating down his door and Hartlepool are National League, which is roughly where I would put CPL. It will probably come down to $$$. Has any CPL club reserved enough cap space to land him?

19 hours ago, Lofty said:

It is certainly news to me that there are no plans for him to re-sign with the club. I doubt that Newcastle or Sunderland are beating down his door and Hartlepool are National League, which is roughly where I would put CPL. It will probably come down to $$$. Has any CPL club reserved enough cap space to land him?

We don't really know the cap money yet so that would be hard to say. But Cavalry, York & Halifax are all at the 23-person roster limit. Of those, Valour & FCE probably would be downgrading taking him on, especially when their needs are up-front. Forge is loaded at centre-back. Pacific is probably the only one that could use him with de Jong on the shelf but I'm not sure he is a good fit, especially for a small market team that is probably pinching the pennies a bit.

TBH I could see him landing outside of the CanPL

I know looking at the blue dots in Ticketmaster isn't the most healthy obsession, but it's interesting to compare the sales for tomorrow compared with the June 20th match. June 20th looks to be nearly sold out, apart from the expensive sections.

Regarding tomorrow, do we have anything on the injury status of Mitter, Thomas, and Gutierrez?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

We don't really know the cap money yet so that would be hard to say. But Cavalry, York & Halifax are all at the 23-person roster limit. Of those, Valour & FCE probably would be downgrading taking him on, especially when their needs are up-front. Forge is loaded at centre-back. Pacific is probably the only one that could use him with de Jong on the shelf but I'm not sure he is a good fit, especially for a small market team that is probably pinching the pennies a bit.

TBH I could see him landing outside of the CanPL

Yes, that was a rhetorical question for precisely the reason you mention.

I think Valour would benefit greatly from adding another CB who can also play midfield. Three CBs is not enough regardless as injury/suspension is likely to leave us short handed at some point, but adding a 4th would also greatly increase competition for places there which, frankly, looks as though it is needed right now.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I know looking at the blue dots in Ticketmaster isn't the most healthy obsession, but it's interesting to compare the sales for tomorrow compared with the June 20th match. June 20th looks to be nearly sold out, apart from the expensive sections.

Regarding tomorrow, do we have anything on the injury status of Mitter, Thomas, and Gutierrez?

Mitter has had plenty of time to recover now and should be available.

Thomas's tweaked hamstring is likely to need a bit more time, so it is very convenient to have Mitter returning.

Gutierrez's injury did not look to be serious but my guess is that we won't see him, particularly with Sacramento continuing to play well and an 8 day break coming up.

Edit: Just remembered we play Forge away on the 15th so there is no 8 day break! Maybe we will see Gutierrez tomorrow after all.

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Next thursday does look very promisin! I'm hoping these sections are actually sold and not just withheld by ticketmaster but there are some individual tickets in the sections that make me think they could acutally all be sold! 

Won 2 tickets to the game tomorrow Via Manitoba Soccer -(will be my first valour game). 

I'm familiar with a few of the players (bustos, hoyle, petrasso) Anyone in particular I should be keeping an eye on?   Any nice surprise players so far this season?

7 minutes ago, damaaster said:

Won 2 tickets to the game tomorrow Via Manitoba Soccer -(will be my first valour game). 

I'm familiar with a few of the players (bustos, hoyle, petrasso) Anyone in particular I should be keeping an eye on?   Any nice surprise players so far this season?

Beland-Goyette (#5) is a defensive midfielder who has really grown into the role. Arguinarena (#6, left back) is a veteran South American player who often shows his class. I really enjoy what Gutierrez (#8) brings to the midfield but he may still be carrying an injury from the last match. I know Lofty seems to be a big fan of Dylan Sacramento (#7), another midfielder.

3 hours ago, damaaster said:

Most importantly if you want to have a good time find a spot in 144 😉

17 hours ago, Ngravs said:

Most importantly if you want to have a good time find a spot in 144 😉

haha..I believe the seats I won are section 107.

How was the attendance been so far? Definitely looking forward to the game tonight/checking out the atmosphere.

Okay, here are my initial thoughts on my first ever attended CPL/Valour game.  A little background first; I've played soccer my whole life, and attended some pretty big matches (5 World cup games in Brazil, Women's world Cup Games, World Cup Qualifying in England, Chlesea vs Newcastle, Canada WCQ, Pan Am Games)  So I am new to the CPL, but definitely not the sport.  I had no idea what to expect going in, but I was excited.  I won 2 tickets from Manitoba Soccer and was sitting right at centre field.

The Atmosphere:

Fun, relaxed, but people were still into the game.  The "trench" was amazing, and next time I'll definitely venture down to that section.  Loved the fact it wasn't TOO crowded like a bomber game - didn't feel like you had to rush to get a beer and could actually breath in the concourse.  My seats allowed access to the Pinnacle lounge, (my first time in there) which was pretty nice, and offered free popcorn).  Only downside to the atmosphere for night was the TWELVE dollar price tag for a can of beer.  Paying NHL prices for beer seems a little excessive, but oh well.

The Game:

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect as far as quality goes, aside from my own games, I've never really watched non top tier soccer. The quality was actually MUCH better than I thought it would be.  Going into the game, I didn't know any players on Halifax, and only knew of: Bustos, Goyette, Petrasso and Hoyle on Valour.  Even though I'd never seen a minute of a CPL game, and had no emotional attachment to Valour, I got right into the game as soon as they kicked off. (I think the songs coming from the Trench helped).  After 5 minutes, I genuinely felt like I "cared" and really wanted them to win.  I'll be back soon for sure (actually going to buy my dad tickets for Fathers day!).  The result wasn't great, but I think we outplayed them, definitely had the majority of possession- just had no finish, and Halifax was really good on the counter.

The players: (my completely uneducated opinion after a 1 game sample...haha)

Bustos: By far the best player on the pitch (for either team).  Have to think if he was taller he'd be playing up a tier or two. 

Ohin: Thought he played well, had never heard of him before, and he stood out, made some nice plays and linked up with Petrasso a lot in the first half.

Petrasso: Had a strong half before he got injured. The majority of the play was down his wing - and we carried almost all the possession first half.

Hoyle: Just seems too slow.  I know I'm only basing this on one game, but didn't seem to have any impact, and can't help but feel with all our possession, if we had someone quicker we could have connected early on for a goal.

Gutierrez: Looked pretty solid as well

From Halifax, the one player that stood out was Kodai Lida (#9).

Final Thoughts:

I'll be back,  - may even consider getting season tickets next year.  I  think I'll be subscribing to ONEsoccer too. Looking forward to my next game. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:18 AM, damaaster said:

haha..I believe the seats I won are section 107.

How was the attendance been so far? Definitely looking forward to the game tonight/checking out the atmosphere.

So just out of curiousity...you are a big fan of soccer...did you not know about the CPL?  Assuming you are in WPG, did no advertising etc get to you about the Valour or CPL?  You seem to be someone that the Valour should have gotten to in the preseason if they had worked at all at reaching out to soccer fans.  Its  kind of maddening and kind of hopeful to see that big soccer fans are out there that might buy season tickets and are still only getting exposed to the Valour half way through the summer.  Maddening that bombers havnt done their job but hopeful for even better attendance in the future as there is obviously still more hardcore fans out there.  

No, I definitely was aware of the league, and the team - and have *slightly* been following them.

I have 2 small kids (3 years and 2 years old), I live in the North West part of the city, I coach my daughters soccer on Tues/Thurs,.  and making it to games is never going to be easy.  I was also a Jet's season ticket holder...and spend a bit of time in the summers at the cabin..so wasn't sure if Season ticket's would be right for me.  Thought I'd go to a couple games this year and see how I liked it before deciding.  I was planning on buying tickets soon - and just happened to win tickets to last nights game, so it worked out well.  I also took my friend who had a great time and also said he wants to start coming to more games too.

2 hours ago, damaaster said:

No, I definitely was aware of the league, and the team - and have *slightly* been following them.

I have 2 small kids (3 years and 2 years old), I live in the North West part of the city, I coach my daughters soccer on Tues/Thurs,.  and making it to games is never going to be easy.  I was also a Jet's season ticket holder...and spend a bit of time in the summers at the cabin..so wasn't sure if Season ticket's would be right for me.  Thought I'd go to a couple games this year and see how I liked it before deciding.  I was planning on buying tickets soon - and just happened to win tickets to last nights game, so it worked out well.  I also took my friend who had a great time and also said he wants to start coming to more games too.

And this is exactly how you build your fan base. It takes time. That is why all these CSB deals are so important: they buy that time.

And I have finally worked out the "Valour Identity" we have heard so much about. I nominate it as the club motto:

"More Possession, Fewer Goals".

And as an alternative, I nominate:

"Never Shoot When You Can Pass".

Edited by Lofty

^ LOL.  Funny 'cause it's true.  Here's hoping they stop looking for the next pass and start seeing the immediate opportunity.

Sooo...anyone else wondering if they're going to work on set plays at all during the Spring Season or just wait until after Canada Day to start?

On 6/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, jonovision said:

A bunch of extra blue dots have shown up for 20th June. Sigh. Still looks pretty good though. I can see our "normal" attendance settling in at around the 5,000 mark, which I think would constitute success.

21 hours ago, Lofty said:

A bunch of extra blue dots have shown up for 20th June. Sigh. Still looks pretty good though. I can see our "normal" attendance settling in at around the 5,000 mark, which I think would constitute success.

I think it's a good sign the extra blue dots have already shown up.  They usually don't release them until the day of, and this might be a sign that tickets are selling better for this game than for recent games.  I think what we see right now is a true reflection of what is sold/available and it looks like around 1200 left.  I expect Thursday to be over 6000 

6000 would be great, although they are forecasting rain - which will suck.

Two things on my mind:

1) Valour has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot late in games. In the six games they have lost this year, they gave up goals in the last ten minutes of four of them. I think it's probably the mental thing that's holding Valour back the most.

2) I'm interested to see how attendance changes over the summer months - with a lot of games on school nights Valour games have been mostly adults. Over summer I can see a lot more kids coming - it's way cheaper than the Jets, more action than the Goldeyes & a lot more kids are playing soccer over American-style football (which is a problem for the Bombers). I know I'm looking forward to taking my son to a game over the next couple of months.