Valour FC Season Thread 2019

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

What is Valour's best line up? You may choose any formation and assume everyone other than Golubar is healthy. I'm going with a 4-2-3-1.

------------------------  Janssens  -----------------------
Gutierrez   Thomas   Mitter   Arguiñarena
------------  Ohin  -----------  Beland-Goyette  ---
Petrasso ------  Sacramento  --------  Bustos
-------------------------  Attardo  -------------------------

I know I've left out Musse. Some may prefer him to Attardo up front but I think we need Attardo's aerial ability in the box.

I also know this is a somewhat defensive formation. For a more attacking look I'm afraid Ohin must drop to the bench to accommodate a 4-4-2 with Musse joining Attardo up front, but  I see the 4-2-3-1 as being better. 4-3-3 is also a thought provoking option.

Close call between Farago and Janssens but I think the youngster has been slightly better.

@Ngravs, @T_Bison, @Bison44, @johnyb, @jonovision, @MrsC, @Winnipeg Fury (and everyone else) let's see what you've got!

I'm not great with tactics, so I don't have much to add.  I like your line up, but I'd swap out Janssens and put Farago in.  I just think he has a better ability to command the back line.  

19 hours ago, Lofty said:

What is Valour's best line up? You may choose any formation and assume everyone other than Golubar is healthy. I'm going with a 4-2-3-1.

------------------------  Janssens  -----------------------
Gutierrez   Thomas   Mitter   Arguiñarena
------------  Ohin  -----------  Beland-Goyette  ---
Petrasso ------  Sacramento  --------  Bustos
-------------------------  Attardo  -------------------------

I know I've left out Musse. Some may prefer him to Attardo up front but I think we need Attardo's aerial ability in the box.

I also know this is a somewhat defensive formation. For a more attacking look I'm afraid Ohin must drop to the bench to accommodate a 4-4-2 with Musse joining Attardo up front, but  I see the 4-2-3-1 as being better. 4-3-3 is also a thought provoking option.

Close call between Farago and Janssens but I think the youngster has been slightly better.

@Ngravs, @T_Bison, @Bison44, @johnyb, @jonovision, @MrsC, @Winnipeg Fury (and everyone else) let's see what you've got!

I've always preferred a 4-4-2 but considering the amount of Midfielders we have and a lack of Forwards this seems to play to our strengths. I use the term strengths loosely. Tough choice in goal but I'm leaning towards Farago.

It feels like so long since their last game (and 5 days still until their next!) that I had to look up the roster to make sure I haven't forgotten anyone.

I like the 3-5-2 for what it allows the team to do with Gutierrez who, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, I still believe is a really good player. The unfortunate side of the 3-5-2 is I think that means Murrell has to play.

Attardo-Bustos (in a withdrawn/free role)

Arguinarena-Sacramento-LBG-Gutierrez-Petrasso

Murrell-Mitter-Thomas

Janssens

Toughest calls for me are in goal, and who sits between the Ohin and Sacramento, and since they play different roles, that messes with the midfield configuration a bit. Sacramento and Gutierrez playing in a more advanced role than Beland-Goyette. Kind of crazy that we've all conceded that our best striker for now is a kid who just finished high school, but it is what it is.

I do suspect, @Lofty, that Gale's lineup will more closely resemble yours than mine, although he seems less favourably disposed to Sacramento than you are.

Can this lineup score more than 1 goal over 90 minutes?

Goals per game and rating per game according to FotMob for the 10 games in the spring season. (Great app Btw)

Farago: York 3 (4.9) HFX 2 (5.2) Forge. 2 (4.9) Cavalry 1 (5.9) Edmonton 2 (5.7) Pacific 1 (7.1) 

AVG GA: 1.83 

AVG Rating: 5.62

Janssens: Pacific 2 (5.7) Forge 2 (5.5)

Edmonton 0 (7.4) HFX 0 (7.5) 

AVG GA: 1 

AVG Rating: 6.53

I know this would be virtually impossible because of logistics but I think it would be neat to host one Valour game at Shaw Park. I think it’s genuinely a cool looking park and although the seating not being ideal for a soccer game the capacity (7 461) is almost perfect. I also think the location would be perfect not far from downtown pubs and central to everyone. I just think it would be an cool experiment if the owners of the two clubs could agree on a single game some time in September. 

I looked and the length would be no problem but I’m sure the width would be an issue as it is for NYCFC.  

Seems like a Josip Golubar replacement. I wouldn't have thought midfield is the most pressing need for Valour, but Ryan Brandt says he's an attacking central midfielder which, if he's the type that can create chances, has been sorely lacking since Golubar's injury.

His resume doesn't really impress, but we'll see.

Edited by jonovision

I hope this transfer proves me wrong but he doesn't have the best resume for a 33 year old. What caliber is the 2nd tier Saudi league, Im hoping its not the same as the CPL.. However I love seeing more names and transfers roll in from overseas it still feels surreal. 

I dont particularly have any confidence in players who regularly changes teams and countries and reading his bio on Wiki that is exactly his career. 

Edited by Ngravs

Well, 33 years young and still chasing the dream.  Have to wonder who scouted this guy, how they scouted this guy and what exactly he's expected to bring that will improve the current roster.  We do seem to have a lot of what I'd suspect are opportunity signings when maybe we should be more focused on a specific type of player/role/function. 

Speaking of 33... I forget, have we started talking about the number of injuries Valour have endured this maiden season and the playing surface at IG Field yet?

28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Well, 33 years young and still chasing the dream.  Have to wonder who scouted this guy, how they scouted this guy and what exactly he's expected to bring that will improve the current roster.  We do seem to have a lot of what I'd suspect are opportunity signings when maybe we should be more focused on a specific type of player/role/function. 

Speaking of 33... I forget, have we started talking about the number of injuries Valour have endured this maiden season and the playing surface at IG Field yet?

Similar journeyman profile to our other veteran internationals, Mitter and Golubar. 

As for the injuries, the two biggest injuries (Golubar's ACL, Petrasso's lingering hamstring issue) are courtesy of Spruce Meadows and repeated scythings down by the Cavalry players. Mitter's shoulder injury probably didn't have much to do with the pitch either.

Edited by jonovision

47 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I dont particularly have any confidence in players who regularly changes teams and countries and reading his bio on Wiki that is exactly his career. 

Not many more teams than Mitter in nearly twice as much time, but Adam's been OK. 

I suspect that what we'll find in the first few years in this league is that veteran internationals have something to add to most teams, even if their talent level isn't the highest. Just think of Valour's roster where half the guys are in their first season as actual professionals.

Edited by jonovision

Gale/Galan presser, when asked why they are signing a midfielder when goal scoring is a clear need, Gale responded rather confidently: "Watch this space".

As for Galan, seems pretty clear that Golubar was a massive part of how Gale imagined his team playing, both in terms of offering some professional experience to a team with very little, and also his particular positional talents. It remains to be seen if Galan is up to the task, but it's obvious this is the role he is being asked to fill. It doesn't speak particularly well of Gale that he couldn't find another way to play and be successful, or to replace at least part of Golubar's production internally, but so it is. Given Mitter's possibly-even-worse professional resume and the fact he hasn't been a total disaster, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until we've seen Galan play, and especially if an attacking signing is on the way.

(I don't particularly expect any new defenders as they've probably already blown much of the salary budget on Murrell and Thomas).

Edited by jonovision

55 minutes ago, Lofty said:

José Galán:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Galán

https://www.galanjp10.com/info

https://us.soccerway.com/players/jose-antonio-galan-pedrosa/335264/

Unsurprisingly hard to find much on him. In the intro, Galey calls him a holding mid.

This looks to me like a desperation signing. It is the most depressed I have been this season. We need DEFENDERS! We need STRIKERS! And we are signing more midfielders. It is the first moment my confidence in the manager has been shaken. In England, the fans would sing "you don't know what you're doing".

Now resigned to finishing last -- again.

In my mind this is someone who can help out the D more. Not a ton of goals but OK minutes wherever he's played. 

If I heard correctly, he mentioned that he knew Adam Mitter from having crossed paths in Asia. I found this a bit curious because, as far as I can tell, they haven't played in any of the same countries (which is kind of amazing considering how many countries each have played in). Maybe there's a support group for guys who don't last more than 6 months at any team.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

José Galán:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Galán

https://www.galanjp10.com/info

https://us.soccerway.com/players/jose-antonio-galan-pedrosa/335264/

Unsurprisingly hard to find much on him. In the intro, Galey calls him a holding mid.

This looks to me like a desperation signing. It is the most depressed I have been this season. We need DEFENDERS! We need STRIKERS! And we are signing more midfielders. It is the first moment my confidence in the manager has been shaken. In England, the fans would sing "you don't know what you're doing".

Now resigned to finishing last -- again.

I got word that next week we will be signing a "BIG" striker as well as a holding mid/defender.. News to come pretty soon! 

16 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

With Galan and more players rumoured to be signed (?), it will be interesting to see who Valour chop in the new future.

Fingers crossed.

I believe we had 3 open roster spots heading into this window, so we could sign 2 more without losing anyone.  It's my understanding that Golubar doesn't count toward our roster spots since he is out for the season.

Edited by MrsC
typos

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Right.

But do we get salary cap relief for Golubar's wages while he is injured? I was under the impression we don't. Which would make us fine on quantity but limited on quality. Doh!

I'm pretty sure we don't get salary relief