Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, T_Bison said:

6000 would be great, although they are forecasting rain - which will suck.

Two things on my mind:

1) Valour has a habit of shooting themselves in the foot late in games. In the six games they have lost this year, they gave up goals in the last ten minutes of four of them. I think it's probably the mental thing that's holding Valour back the most.

Most of the goals Valour have conceded this season have been in the last 5 minutes of a half. A truly shocking record.

Pacific (a): 1 - Equalizer and Haber hit the post when shooting at an open goal.

Edmonton (h): 1 - Winner scored just before HT.

Cavalry (a): 1 - Winner just before the end.

HFX (a): 2 - Both goals, including the winner, just before HT.

HFX (h): I'm not going to count the empty net goal.

Forge (a): 2 - Both goals, including the winner, just before the end.

So, that is 7/11 goals and 4/6 winners conceded in the 6 mins before the end of a half (again, not counting the empty netter).

Again, that is 4 winners out of 6 losses (note that the winner is obviously the goal that puts you ahead to stay).

Valour have a fundamental problem that needs to be fixed.

Edited by Lofty

3 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

FYI  -  Valour are practicing at Glenlawn Collegiate, Tuesday & Friday this week, 10:30-12:00.

I have Friday off and there are no World Cup games, so maybe I'll pop by 😉

17 hours ago, T_Bison said:

6000 would be great, although they are forecasting rain - which will suck.

Looks to me like ticket sales are just sub 5500 right now, so if the weather is good, walk up sales would easily take us over 6000, but if the rain forecast holds up, probably not.  Fingers crossed we get good weather 🤞

2 hours ago, MrsC said:

Looks to me like ticket sales are just sub 5500 right now, so if the weather is good, walk up sales would easily take us over 6000, but if the rain forecast holds up, probably not.  Fingers crossed we get good weather 🤞

Environment Canada (the only weather source I trust) has no rain in the forecast for Thursday. Hope it holds.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:56 AM, MrsC said:

For some reason I always take comfort in how the alcohol free "Family Zone" is usually the last section to see significant ticket sales.

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

For some reason I always take comfort in how the alcohol free "Family Zone" is usually the last section to see significant ticket sales.

drunk.jpg

The game was pretty packed - and a *TON* of kids. If this is what the summer is during the weekdays it'll be a blast

2 hours ago, T_Bison said:

The game was pretty packed - and a *TON* of kids. If this is what the summer is during the weekdays it'll be a blast

Fans of the future. Brilliant.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/soccer/frustration-boils-over-after-another-valour-loss

Slamming doors, F-bombs from the coach’s room and plenty of shouting behind closed doors – it seems Valour FC has hit a season low...

Oh the humanity! Have to wonder if journalists who would write something like that have ever actually played the game. You would have a reason to be more worried if a team gets beaten and there isn't complete bedlam with lots of swear words afterwards.

^ His credibility as a soccer writer takes a hit when he refers to time added as "extra time", he's not alone, many newbies do that, it's a real pet peeve of mine!

Re-watched the match this AM, wasn't BG's best match to be sure and maybe its a happy accident that he's suspended for the away match against Wanderers because the rest will do him good though to be fair most of the team looked done by the 80th.

I'm sure it would feel a little less frustrating if the goals where coming, even if they were still lossing.  But they aren't, so giving up cheap goals feels that must the worse. 

Valour website home page currently showing next home match as June 20 vs. Pacific. Um, we played that one three days ago guys.

Anyway, the usual caveats aside, attendance for Canada Day vs. York9 is looking good and the scattered single blue dots seem to imply that we can assume that most of the grey dots represent sold seats (except for a couple of sections). Looks like another 6k+ to me.

^ Blows my mind the opportunities this team misses.  By that I mean (amongst other things) advancing kickoff from 5PM (perfect to my mind) to noon.   

It's a Monday long weekend for fu'k sakes.  There are going to be a tonne of people who're going to book off Friday before and extend their weekend.  For those heading out of town a noon kickoff isn't going to be part of the Canada Day festivities they're coming home for.  Five o'clock?  Sure.  Certainly doable but next to no one is packing it in to be back in Winnipeg and making a noon kick off.  This is costing them money.

Shake my head.  Seriously hope I'm being overly negative but somehow I dont' think so.  Doesn't matter what crowd makes it out, they aren't meeting their potential. 

Hey - I need some advice. I'm a STH but I want to take my son with me and I need to get another seat. Would anyone guess if they'll be opening up more seats across the pitch for Canada Day like they did for the home opener? Ticketmaster is looking pretty sparse ATM for the game and I'm wondering if I get the seats swapped now or wait a bit and see if I can get the ones across the way.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Looks like they did that for One Soccer?

I would think so - way better to get a full day of soccer programming without spreading eyeballs (and overloading servers).

5 hours ago, T_Bison said:
Hey - I need some advice. I'm a STH but I want to take my son with me and I need to get another seat. Would anyone guess if they'll be opening up more seats across the pitch for Canada Day like they did for the home opener? Ticketmaster is looking pretty sparse ATM for the game and I'm wondering if I get the seats swapped now or wait a bit and see if I can get the ones across the way.

I doubt whether they will end up opening extra sections but it is possible. Still some decent pairs of seats available but not many.

6 hours ago, T_Bison said:

Drop me a line, I can help