TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

alright here we go..match comments in this one tonight..vanney vanney vanney..why in the world are you playing a high line against this team that is good at combining and playing through balls..ciman at cb come on..westberg saved the team with that pk save for now

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

Boy how good is Brian Schmetzer..getting the team in high form at playoff time and they are going to their third mls cup in four years

Well now gotta say..boy how good is Greg Vanney getting Toronto to their third mls cup in four years

Nice to see all of the Canadian TFC players posing as a group with the Eastern Championship Cup after the game, including the ones not dressed for the match (ie. Morgan, Fraser, Chapman - though I didn't see Shaffelburg).

Toronto vs. Seattle for 3 times in four years.......off the top of my head can only compare that to NY Yankees vs. LA Dodgers in the World Series 3 times in 5 years from 1977-1981 in terms of the major NA sports

14 minutes ago, Lofty said:

You must be a TFC fan! 😉

From a more neutral perspective (although still cheering hard for TFC), they wuz all over ya!

They had more pressure, but very few clear cut chances in the end. Basically their goal and their PK which everyone outside of Atlanta not named Kristian Jack agrees wasn't a PK, and other than that not much for all their pressure.

Bradley had a horrid first half.  Even though the PK call was extremely soft, TFC was fortunate not to be out of the game after 10 minutes. 

The Westburg PK save was huge but surprisingly there wasn't the PK save reaction from him or the defenders immediately after the save.  That showed early on that they were focused and weren't letting emotions play into the game.

Laryea was outstanding on the field last night, he was exactly what they needed.  Getting fouled at the right time, winning possession at critical times, excellent.

Deleon is the hero after that cracker but how was Atlanta so relaxed in defense with three players around him.  I thought he would be dispossessed immediately after receiving the ball with the player coming in behind him.  Deleon has been unfairly criticized at time this year but he's always been a solid MLS caliber player that will do whatever he is told, that is why Vanney brought him in.  

How did Atlanta not try to change anything up until after they were behind with 10 minutes left?  I thought Gressel was a candidate to be taken off any time in the second half.  

TFC need to work on moving the back line forward and back as a unit.  The number of times that Ciman or Bradley kept Martinez onside was unbelievable.  The were very fortunate Martinez didn't make them pay for that.  

12 hours ago, Big_M said:

gosh how badly has cimans level dropped

Funny was thinking the same, but he's been making those missed slide tackles for several years, including when he was in Montreal.  The MLS guys were really positive about the defence tonight, but also suggested that Ciman wouldn't start the final.  Either way, he was an astute signing for TFC.  Will he re-sign for Impact since his family is here in Montreal anyways?

This is a Vanney win - Lareya, Ciman, DeLeon - all signings to fill roles and all were needed tonight and in the playoffs.  Can't say enough about Lareya - this kid stood up on defence in the second half and also made the run and pass over to Leon.  He's the difference maker for me coming off the bench in these playoffs. 

40 minutes ago, Ruud said:

This is a Vanney win - Lareya, Ciman, DeLeon - all signings to fill roles and all were needed tonight and in the playoffs.  Can't say enough about Lareya - this kid stood up on defence in the second half and also made the run and pass over to Leon.  He's the difference maker for me coming off the bench in these playoffs. 

Laryea made the run to get them deep into Atlanta territory but he passed the ball to Pozuelo first and he actually made the pass to Leon.