TFC 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

46 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Laryea made the run to get them deep into Atlanta territory but he passed the ball to Pozuelo first and he actually made the pass to Leon.

yeah yeah - that's what i meant!  : )  it eventually got to DeLeon

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some credit in this game to Delgado, as this was the sort of game which I think played to his strengths of covering a lot of ground defensively

Delgado has also won me over this year.  I think a lot of the negative feeling towards him is based on previous seasons.  He has improved over time, and is now dependable and effective, even in attack.  He still isn't great at shooting on goal, but that's the only knock I have left against him.

DeLeon's shot was a scorcher, but I have no idea what Atlanta was doing on that play.  If you watch the replay, there is one player that just stands there and watches him move away with the ball.  After it goes in, the standing player, finding some new found energy, then runs to the ref and complains about something that happened earlier up the field.

They are complaining about Darlington Nagbe being down injured in the other half after a fairly robust tackle at the start of the move. There are some complaints on Reddit from Atlanta fans about TFC not kicking the ball out so he could be treated for the supposed injury but if there's a strong suspicion that somebody is faking there is no need to do that. The defenders stood off and gave DeLeon all the time and space he needed because they seemed to think he wouldn't score from there. Doing that at the top of the box is not sensible even if it was a couple of pub teams playing.

19 hours ago, Lofty said:

I just heard that TFC have been arrested for Grand Larceny. 😅

Seriously though, resilience counts. Well done TFC. Cracking winner. Fabulous penalty save. Stick it to the Seahawks in the final. 😁

I was thinking along those lines.  We have watched many matches involving TFC (such as the 2016 final) where we see an opponent do very little thats positive and just sit back and wait to pounce.  TFC lost some of these big matches and maybe thats just seeing things from TFC’s side of things.    This is the first significant game that i can think of where i felt TFC stole one.   It was fair assessment IMO of the game commentary,  that TFC gutted this one out and did nothing special technically or tactically.  But we will take it. 

But, at the same time, it must be said that i cant think of another venue in MLS where refs seem to be influenced by the size of the crowd than in Atlanta.    In a previous post, last year, i had counted all the PK’s that were awarded in MLS and which team had benefited most from PK.    Everything looked normal or within a margin or error except for Atlanta.  Atlanta had something like double the number of PK awarded than the team that had the second most. 

You could see it last night, Atlanta could press and be far more aggressive on the fifty fifty balls but TFC couldnt and would lose those fifty fifty balls knowing that they would get whistled for them.   Last year, Some of the worst calls i have seen in mls games not involving TFC, were in atlanta and benefitted Atlanta.  

Edited by Free kick

9 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

To make it this far with basically one DP ( I dont consider Bradley a DP at this point anymore) is incredible. Hopefully they win it all and Bradley can cash his 6.5 million dollar option. If they win it all without Jozy its probably time to move him. 

TFC! 

The thing with using DP money on domestics slot, is that its humongous benefit in league with quotas.   In the CFL they call these guys ratio busters.   By securing competitive or elite domestics players, you can be more selective and have a larger margin of error with your TAM signings.  You have less holes in your lineup and you have a ton of flexibility in roster construction.   I believe that this has been a key to TFC’s success.  

This is more important given that IMHO the top end of US international talent has slipped in recent years.   They are not IMHO where they were when they had Donovan, Dempsey etc.  We are at the point now,  judging from the recent concacaf matches, where our top end (top 2-3 players) might be on par or better.  Sorry but,  in the games i saw in recent years,  i am yet to see what the fuss is about Pulisich is.   Or even Morris.   I dont think you will see, in the future, US domestic talent coming back to MLS having the same impact than Bradley and Altidore.  I get and can see that Bradley has slipped a little.  And i can see the argument that he’s not worth the money.   But if you try to replace him straight up with a domestic,  your taking risks.   Fraser can look good,  but is he really ready at his age, to take on that load?   If not Fraser,  then who else is there? 

7 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

DeLeon's shot was a scorcher, but I have no idea what Atlanta was doing on that play.  If you watch the replay, there is one player that just stands there and watches him move away with the ball.  After it goes in, the standing player, finding some new found energy, then runs to the ref and complains about something that happened earlier up the field.

Yeah.  I noticed that as well. :)  what the **** was he complaining about?  Very poor effort there.  For anyone who plans to watch the replay of that goal again, keep an eye on number 24 (Gressel) throughout that play.  

Edited by Free kick

23 hours ago, Big_M said:

alright here we go..match comments in this one tonight..vanney vanney vanney..why in the world are you playing a high line against this team that is good at combining and playing through balls..ciman at cb come on..westberg saved the team with that pk save for now

If there is a good thing about the outcome of that game,  its that TFC managed to win and yet played poorly enough for any coach to conclude that that kind of performance wont suffice in the final.   So he will have to shuffle things a bit.  

I dont believe that Ciman has two good games in him at playing defense.   Yes, he plays the ball at his feet really well, but his marking and defensive play makes me nervous.  

Endoh has scored some goals down the stretch so the coach has to reward him.  But at the same time,  you would see brain cramps, sub par play or invisibility at other points of the game.   I only see minor improvement in his game since going down and coming up. He works hard, but i am not sure he should ever be starter in this league if you want to be a good team. 

Deleon scores but through out the year, i often found myself wondering why they saw in him when they decided to sign him. 

Goal scoring is like the blind squirrel finding the nuts every now and then.  You get playing time, odds are better that you will get a goal every now and then.  But if you are a blind squirrel, you are still a blind squirrel. 

On 10/31/2019 at 9:09 AM, rkomar said:

Delgado has also won me over this year.  I think a lot of the negative feeling towards him is based on previous seasons.  He has improved over time, and is now dependable and effective, even in attack.  He still isn't great at shooting on goal, but that's the only knock I have left against him.

I thought Delgado was the best of the midfield trio on the night.  

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Ya a guy who basically  has always taking his little shots at soccer all his career but once again there he is in Seattle covering TFC in the MLS Cup. He seems to cover soccer and TFC whenever they are in big games . He was also in Atlanta in the Eastern Conference Final and wrote about TFC in their MLS Cups in 2016 2017. But has had to admit that he was wrong about TFC , he stated that an MLS team would never work in Toronto . Remember the old Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL was working unfortunately the NASL folded leaving the Blizzard without a league to play in, its not like the Blizzard ever really folded because it wasn’t working in Toronto. This is why when TFC was started the history was already there of pro soccer working in Toronto at the high level North American League , so it really should never have been a surprise to a guy like Simmons and other’s in the mainstream Toronto media .

...that's why they feared it basically, because they knew it would be bigger than their beloved Argos. The worst of the lot was Dave Perkins of the Toronto Star when it came to actively campaigning against the 2007 U-20 World Cup stadium. Hope he is very much choking on his own bile if things go the right way later on today.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Interesting side note - TFC just played in the Championship game and not one person commented on it. Is Canadian MLS popularity fading after the start of the CPL?

Most TFC fans have moved to other forums years ago. 

Plus other social media has kind of sapped posters from traditional forums as well. 

I do think CPL does have a small affect on MLS. At least for now. It will only get bigger as the league does.  

17 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Interesting side note - TFC just played in the Championship game and not one person commented on it. Is Canadian MLS popularity fading after the start of the CPL?

I figured if I did, most of the words would get censored anyway. ;)

I suspect there would be more people posting if the team had won.

should have started jozy..then he comes on 10 min after the opener..deleon laryea very good in playoffs and benched..typical mls coach overthinking..just start your best in big games..but strong end of regular season+playoffs..good job..will be interesting to see if they go with many changes or few

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I was going to post last night, and saw no one else did......laughed my ass off and didnt bother. Good run, strong gritty performances in the playoffs (love those playoffs) but just couldnt win with no forward.  Maybe if they had a back up for Jozy instead of all the wingers Vanney was crying for...who knows??? Lareya was the spark plug for the team of the bench. Sometime you have to figure out if he is so good at 65min, why shouldnt he be in from the start??  Tough break but making this run with the road wins says alot about the heart of the team.  This run probably saved Vanney's job and the front office will prob reward Bradley with another bloated contract.  So as a TFC fan from day one (but from outside Ontario) this makes me happy but most of my attention is with the CPL now.  

Very tough game to sit through.  We have dominated Seattle for 3 championships and lost 2.  It was a great playoff run and what I thought would have happened last year if we/Vanney had not destroyed our regular season.

Vanney has moments of brilliance but can be infuriating at times.  Why sign Gallardo?   Why not put Laryea and Jozy in earlier?  Total control for 60 minutes then take off Benezet who had taken our best chance and thenOsorio who Caldwell was calling the best player on the pitch.  In the postgame Vanney made some specific comments about guys not doing what he wanted and I hope that doesn’t bode poorly for Oso next year.

Silver lining too that Bradley will not make 6.5 million next year.  He has been tremendous but that DP spot needs to go to someone with offensive capabilities that is capable of playing a full season.  If Bradley refuses to play for TAM money then Fraser it is and get a first class attacker.

When they didn’t finish in the 1st half I thought it would bite them.  

Vanney played it perfectly to have all that control up to 54 Minutes. But just didn’t have enough firepower without Jozy 

taking Osorio off seemed odd. Lareya also didn’t seem as potent tonight. pozuelo trying to do too much. 

Seattle were good defensively 

And buried their chances