Referees you expect to see in CanPL

I have a friend who’s a FIFA level ref who says they will be assigned in conjunction with the CSA. So take any ref who’s reffing the highest level from that region and that’s likely who CanPL will get. Anyone doing international matches, MLS, former NASL games, USL, etc. I suspect it will be something that a lot of L1O refs would want to jump to. 

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Interesting that soccerway is showing two American referees last night.  However when I check their profile they have only refereed in Canada.

Referee:
J. Marquez   American
Assistants:
E. Cho   American
J. Parr   Canadian

They're wrong, Juan Marquez and Erina Cho are both Canadian. They've both refereed in the American leagues, so Soccerway likely just assumed they were American when their profiles were created.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=4129&t=profile&

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?pid=4489&t=profile&

The officials for tomorrow's matches have been announced:

• Marie-Soleil Beaudoin will officiate Wanderers v. Forge
  • Drew Fischer will officiate Cavalry v. York 9
  • Pierre-Luc Lauzière will officiate Valour v. Edmonton

Forge vs Wanderers on May 4th has Marie-Soleil Beaudoin as referee. I have not seen her referee before, but am happy to see a female ref a men's game. The only odd thing to me is her full-time job is as a prof at Dalhousie. Meaning the location, not the job!

8 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I saw her reffing in the women's game a while back and her name has stuck with me as positively one of the worst referees I have ever seen. CPL needs to do a lot better than this.

Stand by for phantom penalties, blatant penalties not given, lots of controversy, and the ref trying to insert herself as the star of the show.

I've seen Chenard pretty good sometimes and pretty bad sometimes. She's definitely inconsistent. But a let-'em-play league might suit her.

5 hours ago, Lofty said:

I saw her reffing in the women's game a while back and her name has stuck with me as positively one of the worst referees I have ever seen. CPL needs to do a lot better than this.

Stand by for phantom penalties, blatant penalties not given, lots of controversy, and the ref trying to insert herself as the star of the show.

We have seen that and worse from the men so far, and you did not say a thing, now why is that?

The first game missed a violent misconduct, the Valour win at Pacific had a clearly offside goal. Some posters here say the ref at the last game for Cavalry ruined the first half for him. We have already had lots of controversy, but it was men reffing (and the one we did see a women was handled correctly).

Apart from the fact that you are being dishonest. "In the women's game a while back" is obviously a euphemism for I don't know what I saw but I am going to chirp and see if it flies. 

In any case, it is so ridiculous to anticipate blatant penalties, in plural, for a game that hasn't been played yet.

Really, grow the fuck up and don't be such an ass. Let her ref, see if she has a good game or not, the lineswomen too, judge if the decisions were right or not. Afterwards.

On 5/11/2019 at 2:03 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Apart from the fact that you are being dishonest. "In the women's game a while back" is obviously a euphemism for I don't know what I saw but I am going to chirp and see if it flies. 

Thats harsh. You have no idea whether that poster has watched her ref or not.

I do recall Chenard reffing the Whitecaps in Division 2, and I was not impressed. Yesterday did nothing to change my mind. She missed a blatant second yellow for a Cavalry defender in the second half, then they go on to win the match. Who knows how that game changes if she calls that incident correctly.

Lets be clear, I am not commenting on the gender of the official, I am commenting on the competence of the official. 

In general there have been the odd brainless decision which obviously everyone would like to see cut out. You watch the EPL and see the same though. 

Ganter has lived up to his online reputation. I thought the officials were fine for the most point during the Calgary/Forge game. Granted they did miss the second yellow. I also did dislike the pitch invasion at the end and consequent time wasted. One of the Calgary subs stayed on the pitch showing players the video he just took on his phone ffs. I thought it was a bit mickey mouse. a) its just a bloody early league game, b) they shouldn't be on the pitch. That stuff should be stamped down on. That said I am also in favour of giving players instant yellows for backtalk to the officials and second yellows straight away if they dispute it. So don't take too much stock in my nonsense. It would pretty instantly cut out backtalk, crowding and influencing though. 

There has been a bit of a lack of control in some games which has seen the games spiral close to out of control. The opener, Calgary/Valour and both games yesterday had its moments as did the others. I know the honest no diving, tough hitting rhetoric that has been pushed hasn't helped. 

I guess whats most important is just like the players, giving the officials exposure, chances to learn and grow. It's a good environment and I hope like the on field product officiating improves. 

2 hours ago, masster said:

Thats harsh. You have no idea whether that poster has watched her ref or not.

I do recall Chenard reffing the Whitecaps in Division 2, and I was not impressed. Yesterday did nothing to change my mind. She missed a blatant second yellow for a Cavalry defender in the second half, then they go on to win the match. Who knows how that game changes if she calls that incident correctly.

Lets be clear, I am not commenting on the gender of the official, I am commenting on the competence of the official. 

I think if you look at his comments, they were a priori slagging of her without citing any basis to do so. None of what he predicted came true, and then, like a kid throwing rocks, he's run off an hidden instead of admitting it was by no means the train wreck he'd predicted.

For me it was obvious misogyny, and gratuitous at that.

The broadcast crew praised her and the lineswomen, saying they had mostly gotten everything right. 

You are not saying that Cavalry won because they got to play a few extra minutes undeservedly with 11 are you (second yellows should always be judiciously given)? 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I thought she had a decent match yesterday and got most things right, the Cavalry player should have had a second yellow, I have no doubt about that and who knows how the match ends with them on the road and down to 10, the 1st 2 goals were very tight, I think they got them right and the header leading up to the winner I thought was ok!

The fact that Gantar was better yesterday than the first day, well that is a good sign. It is also a way of growing our refs, it means more work for them, some unknown on the lines or doing 4th official, are getting experience. I think this is excellent. 

I also think that women reffing is very positive, and I have no illusions about the reality of things. I have seen women's football enough to be able to say that overall, the reffing is worse than for the men. I just saw Barça-Bayern in the women's Champions semifinal, and the ref, a Swiss, was really pretty poor and managed some things atrociously. They missed shocking stuff you would never seen in the men's game (a shot on goal is deflected off and not one of them sees it). This is because for men, around the world, you have to be promoted through a tiered system and it is hard and arduous, and of course all based on reffing committees giving you good reports.

If men's refs don't seem better than women in elite games, I believe it is because things are way close to the limit for the men, it is wilder and the edge is way sharper. And the players are more volatile and push way harder, and are way moutier as well. So reffing competitive men is hard and that makes it seem men's reffing is not so great at times. 

Reffing controversy is fun for a league, and bad blood about errors, and guys getting reds, like Smyrniotis after virulently complaining about the placement of a free kick leading to the winner (he was nervous, but it was silly). In two weeks we have come a huge way.

1 minute ago, Lofty said:

The match I am thinking of was an international in Montreal, I think. Might have been Canada vs. Colombia/Brazil, maybe 4-5 years ago. I have no idea why he thinks I would criticize a referee I have never seen. Why would anyone do that?!

Jeffrey seems to be trolling me these days because I keep noticing that he has posted right after me. Luckily I have him on mute so I don't see his post unless someone quotes it.

We have crossed swords a few times in the past so perhaps he feels I have bested him in those exchanges (I have 😉😁) and is now trying to get his "own back" with his rather childish and nonsensical retorts.

Just waiting for you to admit you were wrong about Chenard instead of hiding in the woodshed after shooting off your mouth, in a clearly sexist post. But that won't happen, will it? You'd have to have character to do that.