Gold Cup 2019

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

That probably speaks a lot to Chile's decline. Vidal is not playing much at Barca. Sanchez is not playing much at United. Bravo (is he still their number 1?) Is the back up at City. They failed to make the WC. Etc.

Bravo wasn't on the team, Jhonny Herrera played who's 37 and I'm pretty sure killed a man..?

Either way Costa Rica is weird, there squad is getting older but they have a number of players who are good enough to get the job done for now. We'll see how they progress during the next cycle.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

I feel like their key players are all still there.  They just weren’t a Cinderella story this time around but it happens.. they still played well and in qualifying were their usual selves.  They beat the USA 2-0 on the road in a must win and just beat Chile, haven’t regressed IMO.

Their best players have definitely lost a step

1 hour ago, shorty said:

Hold on there, chicken.  Don't think it's official yet.  Highly likely, but not mathematically certain.

Some of the teams with 6 points are going to play each other still in the final round, so not both can jump ahead of us.

I ran through quickly and I thought that the worst we could finish was about 11th or 12th. But some seem to think we are in, and perhaps a more precise calculation would put as at worst finishing 10th. Probably easier to do once the final games are played for this round.

What I find most surprising is how Montserrat could be at the Gold Cup. Currently sitting in 13th (could drop 1 or 2 more spots with the remaining matchday 3 games), I assume they will beat Cayman Islands in their last game with the results they've had so far. With that and a few draws between other evenly matched clubs on matchday 4, a team that ranked 205 in the FIFA rankings before this tournament, could qualify for the Gold Cup.

Edited by tyler453

20 minutes ago, tyler453 said:

What I find most surprising is how Montserrat could be at the Gold Cup. Currently sitting in 13th (could drop 1 or 2 more spots with the remaining matchday 3 games), I assume they will beat Cayman Islands in their last game with the results they've gotten so far. With that and a few draws between other evenly matched clubs on matchday 4, a team that ranked 205 in the FIFA rankings before this tournament, could qualify for the Gold Cup.

If they did qualify does anyone know how much cash they would receive? 

18 hours ago, nfitz said:

Some of the teams with 6 points are going to play each other still in the final round, so not both can jump ahead of us.

I ran through quickly and I thought that the worst we could finish was about 11th or 12th. But some seem to think we are in, and perhaps a more precise calculation would put as at worst finishing 10th. Probably easier to do once the final games are played for this round.

I started looking into this earlier today, but also decided to wait until this round is over because there are still a lot of possible permutations still. I just did a quick check now and I'm pretty sure your 12th estimation is probably correct.

As Blackdude pointed out, finishing 12th is an unrealistic scenario. But yeah, we have "virtually" qualified for the Gold Cup. Not "officially".

22 hours ago, Alex said:

If they did qualify does anyone know how much cash they would receive? 

Probably enough to guarantee they don't have to withdraw from the next Nations League.

Crazy enough, there is still a chance Dominca could qualify for the Gold Cup as well.  They play Sint Maarten (they of the -25 goal differential through 2 games) tonight and in February they play Bahamas (who should be the lowest ranked team in the world by that point).  If those pacy wingers, that were looking somewhat threatening in the 2nd half last month in Toronto, can create some havoc in the offensive end they might surprise us all.  They -5 GD they took against us may be their anchorweight though.  Although it may also explain their parking the bus in the 2nd half.

Dominica only beats Sint Maarten 2-0 (at Sint Maarten) (game was this afternoon) - they move up to 4 points and are mathematically alive but have a  -3 goal differential after 3 games  and have to hope a crap load of teams on 6 points all lose (and Bermuda & Dominican Republic can't both lose as they play each other - and a tie will keep both teams at a much higher goal differential than Dominica unless they beat the Bahamas something like 13-0.

Im trying to take off my Canadian colour glasses but if we add either Ferreira or Estaquio and if you project out our lineups 7 months from now. I dont really know how someone woyldnt consider our lineup on par with the US. I actually think we're better but at least it must be considered a toss up game. A young team with potential but the US seems really underwhelming to me

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Im trying to take off my Canadian colour glasses but if we add either Ferreira or Estaquio and if you project out our lineups 7 months from now. I dont really know how someone woyldnt consider our lineup on par with the US. I actually think we're better but at least it must be considered a toss up game. A young team with potential but the US seems really underwhelming to me

I don’t see that. We would be starting players that wouldn’t even be called to the US squad. If you’re just comparing the top-end quality between both sides I think there’s an argument, but there would still be a huge gap after those first 6 or 7 guys IMO.

15 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t see that. We would be starting players that wouldn’t even be called to the US squad. If you’re just comparing the top-end quality between both sides I think there’s an argument, but there would still be a huge gap after those first 6 or 7 guys IMO.

Hutchinson, Arfield, Davies, Cavallini, Borjan, Piette, Hoilett wouldn't be called?

When I look at their roster, defense is what they have on us right now. I don't even give them the midfield, let alone attack

Edited by Ansem

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Agree, sorry to say. I don't think any of our defenders make the US roster. Borjan is our only keeper in their top 10. And they beat us handily in depth. People like Tesho, Petrasso, and the like wouldn't even be in their conversation (Jan camp call up several years ago notwithstanding).

Not saying we can't beat them, just that on paper they have the stronger side.

Edited by BCM