Gold Cup 2019

21 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Maybe the CSA should arrange a friendly with the USA before the Gold Cup or in march. Would help us figure out where we are right now as a team.

Or even better have a January Camp and Game vs The US and then a friendly in march to compliment the FG - CNLQ 

June 3-11 is a International window where we can organize two Friendliest leading up to the GC, I’m sure it will be used for training 

Edited by Thomas

I personally would rather not. With nation league, gold cup and qualifying i think we'll get our fill of concacaf teams. If we have a friendly in January i would rather play a team like Bolivia. I kinda want to sneak up on people in the Gold Cup and give our guys a little more time to develop

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Maybe the CSA should arrange a friendly with the USA before the Gold Cup or in march. Would help us figure out where we are right now as a team.

In March? Won't happen.

9 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Or even better have a January Camp and Game vs The US and then a friendly in march to compliment the FG - CNLQ 

June 3-11 is a International window where we can organize two Friendliest leading up to the GC, I’m sure it will be used for training 

In January, this COULD happen. We could have a Camp Poutine game.

The USA announced friendlies vs a TBD opponent in January and vs Costa Rica in February. We could play either Costa Rica or the USA in California in late January.

42 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I personally would rather not. With nation league, gold cup and qualifying i think we'll get our fill of concacaf teams. If we have a friendly in January i would rather play a team like Bolivia. I kinda want to sneak up on people in the Gold Cup and give our guys a little more time to develop

Let's not get too picky with our friendlies.  They need games together.  As many as they can get.  I'm not saying a CONCACAF team is ideal, but I'd take it over no game.

And really, that's actually the big advantage the US has over Canada right now - their guys actually get to play together on a regular basis.  We can debate the talent levels of both teams, but playing together regularly can help overcome some talent issues.

You Canadians should be thanking the heavens that starting next year you're liberated from MLS ruining the national team ever again. A lot of American fans will envy the CPL for being a proper league and focused on properly developing players while we here in the US continues to have a non-competitive single entity league take up the D1 level.

Canada can do much better than MLS, which is below League Two quality for the most part.

17 hours ago, RS said:

The US is better than Canada until Canada can prove otherwise. End of story.

QFT

I hope we get to play the USA in the next Gold Cup, and I'm curious to see how we would do. But I'm not prepared to say we have leap frogged them when we haven't beaten them in 18 tries since our last win against them in 1985.

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I don’t know why we can’t have a “border battle” or some corny slogan haha. Have a game in Vancouver then 3 days later in Seattle. Or Toronto and Detroit. 

Kanader:  Yo how about you trade two of your internationals a year to play us?

USSF: Who sir would you like us drop? France? Brazil? England? Holland? Columbia? Croatia? Mexico? or.....

Kanader: True, we may need to play Dominica again.

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

QFT

I hope we get to play the USA in the next Gold Cup, and I'm curious to see how we would do. But I'm not prepared to say we have leap frogged them when we haven't beaten them in 18 tries since our last win against them in 1985.

We actually beat them in 1990 but they don't like to count that match. But yes, until we actually beat them at the senior level, we can't claim any form of superiority to them. Heck it would be nice if we could even start scoring against them regularly - I think Hume is the only national team player that has scored against them since 1990 (well, Atiba did fair and square as well in the same game but unfortunately they didn't count that one.......)

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

We actually beat them in 1990 but they don't like to count that match. But yes, until we actually beat them at the senior level, we can't claim any form of superiority to them. Heck it would be nice if we could even start scoring against them regularly - I think Hume is the only national team player that has scored against them since 1990 (well, Atiba did fair and square as well in the same game but unfortunately they didn't count that one.......)

John Catliff and Steven MacDonald scored against USA in 1993 in a 2-2 tie. https://www.canadasoccer.com/?gid=363&t=game_summary_soccer_new

I have now found the 1990 game you are referring to. For some reason that game against "USA-B" on the Canada Soccer site is listed as a 0-0 draw, but then in the "timeline and statistics" tab it shows that Catliff was the only goal scorer.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?gid=310&t=game_summary_soccer_new

So if we don't count that game the streak is actually only 17 matches since the last win in 1985. If we DO count that game it's 15 matches since 1990.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Kusch to the Corner said:

Venues for next year's Gold cup announced. Any ideas on what "non-US venue TBD" likely becomes?

https://www.goldcup.org/en/article/concacaf-announces-venues-and-dates-for-the-2019-gold-cup-seeded-nations

If the Central American tabloids are correct, the final two venues will indeed be Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica in San José

and the infamous Estadio Olímpico Metropolitano in San Pedro Sula

Press conference by Concacaf on Monday to make it all official:

http://www.diarioextra.com/Noticia/detalle/375860/copa-oro-viene-al-nacional

20 hours ago, Kent said:

John Catliff and Steven MacDonald scored against USA in 1993 in a 2-2 tie. https://www.canadasoccer.com/?gid=363&t=game_summary_soccer_new

I have now found the 1990 game you are referring to. For some reason that game against "USA-B" on the Canada Soccer site is listed as a 0-0 draw, but then in the "timeline and statistics" tab it shows that Catliff was the only goal scorer.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/?gid=310&t=game_summary_soccer_new

So if we don't count that game the streak is actually only 17 matches since the last win in 1985. If we DO count that game it's 15 matches since 1990.

Great catch.

I let Canada Soccer know about the error.

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If the Central American tabloids are correct, the final two venues will indeed be Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica in San José

Since we’re all complaining that we’re playing minnows only and we don’t have a tough test to see how good this team is, then I suggest we look no further than a date at Honduras in the gold cup. Let’s put out a mid field of Davies, Hutchinson, Arfield, hoilett and Osorio and finally put this baby to bed. 

I'll take a Gold Cup match in San Pedro Sula since it would mean avoiding Mexico in the elimination rounds. Mexico and Costa Rica are on one side of the bracket for the quarters/semis, with Honduras and the US on the other.

Suppose we get Group C with Honduras. Depending on how they decide the order of the matches within the group stage, we might not even be the opponent that Honduras plays at home, we might be the 2nd match. If Honduras has a say in who they play at home for that opening match of the group stage, I'm sure they would want it to be against who they see as their toughest opponent, which may or may not be us depending on who else is in the group.

On 11/20/2018 at 9:17 PM, Obinna said:

Altidore and Wood I think are on par with Larin and Cavallini talent wise, but Altidore and Wood have so much more experience. Still though, I think we give the Americans problems with Cavallini, and Larin will find the net again, some day.

Altidore and Wood on par with Larin  and Wood ? I could see Larin and Cavallini becoming on par with these two players but not yet, Larin and Cavallini how many World Cups have they played in? How many Hex have they played in? They both have great potential but I’m sorry they have not reached the stage where there are on par yet , they have the potential to get to a level where they are on par or get to a level where they are even better but they have not done enough yet to be considered on par but one day they can and could be even better but not yet.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Altidore and Wood on par with Larin  and Wood ? I could see Larin and Cavallini becoming on par with these two players but not yet, Larin and Cavallini how many World Cups have they played in? How many Hex have they played in? They both have great potential but I’m sorry they have not reached the stage where there are on par yet , they have the potential to get to a level where they are on par or get to a level where they are even better but they have not done enough yet to be considered on par but one day they can and could be even better but not yet.

I meant purely from a talent perspective. For sure if you factor in the experience those 2 Americans have, they'd be more valuable.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...and the gossip was right once again,

http://www.goldcup.org/en/video/historic-announcement-from-concacaf-and-fedefutbol-costa-rica

"historic announcement" at 1pm Eastern from Costa Rica.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

...and the gossip was right once again,

http://www.goldcup.org/en/video/historic-announcement-from-concacaf-and-fedefutbol-costa-rica

"historic announcement" at 1pm Eastern from Costa Rica.

So Costa Rica will host their group:

http://www.fedefutbol.com/2018/11/26/costa-rica-abrira-la-copa-oro-en-casa/

However:

"15 zonas de los Estados Unidos y una sede en el Caribe, aún por anunciarse, darán la bienvenida a la edición 2019 de esta competencia."

So San Pedro Sula will not be hosting?

Jamaica or T&T then?

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

However, back in June, Jamaica made it clear that they wanted to host a game:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/jamaica-declares-intention-to-launch-bid-to-host-historic-gold-cup-match_137737

Since Jamaica has expressed interest in hosting, and there seems to be intent from CONCACAF to have GC matches in Central America and the Caribbean, maybe that's what the plan is and they're just waiting to make sure Jamaica is in the top 10 after CNLQ so that they can make that announcement. Even though T&T is guaranteed to be in the GC, I'm guessing they won't be the Caribbean host since that could have been announced months ago and wasn't.

Edited by jtpc