Gold Cup 2019

I'm surprised how many on here think that if we had played England or Italy we would have done better. We've just had a shaky performance vs SKN and now all of a sudden we think we're better than the US because they lost to italy and england. I understand that we have some great young talent right now and our team is coming together but I don't think we can just say we're on par with the US. If we get a friendly with even a moderately decent team and we play well or win I'll change my mind.

3 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I'm surprised how many on here think that if we had played England or Italy we would have done better. We've just had a shaky performance vs SKN and now all of a sudden we think we're better than the US because they lost to italy and england. I understand that we have some great young talent right now and our team is coming together but I don't think we can just say we're on par with the US. If we get a friendly with even a moderately decent team and we play well or win I'll change my mind.

Canada's attacking players are much much better than the US. At least Canada isn't having 25% possession every game no matter who the opponent is.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Another stinker by the Americans. They got completely domanited by Italy B team. Everything's wrong on that team...

I think we beat them next Gold Cup

This is what having a non-competitive MLS does to player development. Glad Canada finally figured it out. If Canada played the US, it wouldn't even be a close game. I see a 3-0 win for Canada easily and just watch Davies run circles around the US midfield.

28 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Hutchinson, Arfield, Davies, Cavallini, Borjan, Piette, Hoilett wouldn't be called?

Lol. That’s what you took from my post ?

i mean all those guys (excluding Piette) would be called. It’s Cornelius, Henry, James, Adekugbe, etc that wouldn’t be called.

Minus Pulisic.. i would take Hoilet, Arfield, Davies, Atiba, Cavallini over anyonein their team

Today they had Marky Delgado starting in their midfield. Marky Delgado. Against England, Will Trapp. Will Trapp

Im looking at their lineup from today. Aaron Long. Who is that? Shaq Moore. Who is that?

What am i missing here? These are total nobodies 

Edited by SpursFlu

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Minus Pulisic.. i would take Hoilet, Arfield, Davies, Atiba, Cavallini over anyonein their team

Today they had Marky Delgado starting in their midfield. Marky Delgado. Against England, Will Trapp. Will Trapp

Im looking at their lineup from today. Aaron Long. Who is that? Shaq Moore. Who is that?

Well clearly not the A team called by US side.

no McKennie, Nagbe, Weah,  Bradley, Miazga, Brooks etc 

And thats the A team? Dude really.. Bradley is done. Ill take Atiba any day of the week anyways

Nagbe.. overated playing the bench in Atlanta. Mckennie.. ok just serviceable . Weah.. lots of hype i havent since much yet. Ill call him and Tabla a push. Miazga Brooks, pedestrian at best

Here is a legit question. Similar standing in their team it seems, similar age, similar players. Who do you take?

Piette, MAK or Trapp, Delgado? I know my answer in a heartbeat

Edited by SpursFlu

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

And thats the A team? Dude really.. Bradley is done. Ill take Atiba any day of the week anyways

Nagbe.. overated playing the bench in Atlanta. Mckennie.. ok just serviceable . Weah.. lots of hype i havent since much yet. Ill call him and Tabla a push. Miazga Brooks, pedestrian at best

Here is a legit question. Similar standing in their team it seems, similar age, similar players. Who do you take?

Piette, MAK or Trapp, Delgado? I know my answer in a heartbeat

Bradley at 31 is done but Atiba at 38 is still a game changer really I think I’ll take the younger Bradley and thanks. Bradley took the money the 6 mill American a year and came back to the MLS I’m sure he could have continued in Serie A if he wanted to or even an equivalent level league , I’m sure his kids will thank him in the future for taking the money and coming back to the MLS and I don’t think he is done just yet . Moreover,  Trap and Delgado vs Piette and Mak pretty close but to say in a heartbeat you will take Piette and Mak of course you will just for the fact they are Canadians and nothing else really.

Edited by 1996

15 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Moreover,  Trap and Delgado vs Piette and Mak pretty close but to say in a heartbeat you will take Piette and Mak of course you will just for the fact they are Canadians and nothing else really.

You can take longer than a heartbeat but you can answer. Your starting a team tomorrow. Who would you take?

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Lol. That’s what you took from my post ?

i mean all those guys (excluding Piette) would be called. It’s Cornelius, Henry, James, Adekugbe, etc that wouldn’t be called.

I posted this 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

When I look at their roster, defense is what they have on us right now. 

Borjan is better than what they have, our midfield is better with a healthy Arfield of course, our attack has more punch

Edited by Ansem

Mak had one good partial season in his first MLS season because of injury so we don’t really know if he is the real deal yet. Piette has played one and half seasons in the MLS before that was in what 3rd division type leagues in Europe. Trap and Delgado have a lot more MLS seasons under their belt , Trap making an MLS Cup Final and Delgado winning an MLS Cup and being a key factor in winning it. So just based on that I’ll go for Trap and Delgado being Canadian I want to say Piette and Mak but they just don’t have the experience that the two Americans have , I need to see more of them the two Canadians in league play before I would pick the two over Trap and Delgado.

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We would have done better, doesn't mean we would have won. Those 2 games we're just horrible to watch.

The US play with that chip on their shoulder where they still believe they're a top team when clearly aren't. They couldn't (in both games) keep possession or create anything to save their lives. They have no identity right now... they try to play polished fancy football against England and Italy and got destroyed.

I think our young guys makes it a fun game at least due to little to no expectations and realistic awareness of where they are on the food chain. They play their style and try to create something. Don't know if you watch both games but it was horrendous... 
Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Delgado was horrible... He can't play at that level. Kept losing possession and gave it away non stop. He's too used to have that extra time in MLS that there's no way he'd get internationally 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Aaron Long would be an easy starter on our back line. Shaq Moore would be challenging for a starting spot.

Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they don't have quality.

7 minutes ago, RS said:

Aaron Long would be an easy starter on our back line. Shaq Moore would be challenging for a starting spot.

Just because you don't know who they are doesn't mean they don't have quality.

Agree on Aaron Long, but I don't get what anyone sees in Shaq Moore. He's nowhere near as good as ZBG or Godinho. He is relatively uncoordinated and is not as polished as either from what I have seen of him. I wouldn't even trade him for Petrasso, who's older and really isn't much of a RB if we are being honest.

He is loaned out from a very average Spanish club (are they even in La Liga?), and is playing in the lower levels of Spain. I wouldn't take him on Toronto FC even.

So no, Shaq Moore would be lucky to get on our bench. Very lucky.

Edited by Obinna

This chest-thumping about the Americans is dumb. The US is clearly at a low point but anyone who seriously thinks we've surpassed them based on their results against England and Italy (with an interim coach) needs to put down the pipe.

I like our chances against them right now, and much of our starting XI would farewell against theirs, but the US has proven over the past couple of decades that they are a league above. The US is better than Canada until Canada can prove otherwise. End of story.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity about how only Pulisic is better than any Canadian player in the respective national team pools. ?

55 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Bradley at 31 is done but Atiba at 38 is still a game changer really I think I’ll take the younger Bradley and thanks.

Bradley has done shit in the last WCQ. Even USMNT fans wants no part of him...yet Hutchinson still makes a difference at 35...

Bradley took the money the 6 mill American a year and came back to the MLS I’m sure he could have continued in Serie A if he wanted to or even an equivalent level league , I’m sure his kids will thank him in the future for taking the money and coming back to the MLS and I don’t think he is done just yet . 

Wow..  you're reaching here... Maybe... We'll never know because he bailed from Serie A for a comfortable spot with millions in MLS. When the US we're eliminated, US analyst criticized heavily players good enough to play in Europe and being challenged for choosing the money and comfort of MLS. Last WCQ saw a very "soft group" bitching and moaning about wet pitch in CONCACAF while having the arrogance to dare "Eurosnobs" to play in this region. They (including Bradley) got owned by Trinidad B TEAM.

Good for his kid and I will never argue a man doing what's best for his family, but it had some impact down the road. 

Moreover,  Trap and Delgado vs Piette and Mak pretty close but to say in a heartbeat you will take Piette and Mak of course you will just for the fact they are Canadians and nothing else really.

I haven't seen MAK play enough internationally but Piette is above them and next in line to Hutchinson. Remi Garde said many times that Piette should be a starter in Europe, no arguing in my mind that Piette is a better and smarter player than Trapp and Delgado

Edited by Ansem

1 minute ago, RS said:

This chest-thumping about the Americans is dumb. The US is clearly at a low point but anyone who seriously thinks we've surpassed them based on their results against England and Italy (with an interim coach) needs to put down the pipe.

I like our chances against them right now, and much of our starting XI would farewell against theirs, but the US has proven over the past couple of decades that they are a league above. The US is better than Canada until Canada can prove otherwise. End of story.

Don't even get me started on the stupidity about how only Pulisic is better than any Canadian player in the respective national team pools. ?

We're not comparing records and past records. Just the rosters as of today and seriously, it's not looking good for them.

They can always get a manager who can bring it together and get the best out of that squad, which quite frankly has been on of the US biggest strength. They better not be wrong about the next coach...otherwise...it will be terrible for them.

On name alone, I don't see that invincible team that we witnessed in recent years.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Agree on Aaron Long, but I don't get what anyone sees in Shaq Moore. He's nowhere near as good as ZBG or Godinho. He is relatively uncoordinated and is not as polished as either from what I have seen of him. I wouldn't even trade him for Petrasso, who's older and really isn't much of a RB if we are being honest.

He is loaned out from a very average Spanish club (are they even in La Liga?), and is playing in the lower levels of Spain. I wouldn't take him on Toronto FC even.

So no, Shaq Moore would be lucky to get on our bench. Very lucky.

We're less than a year removed from Michael Petrasso and Fraser Aird being our top two right backs despite neither actually being a right back. A younger RB with experience in La Liga (albeit limited) would absolutely be in the discussion, IMO.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Wow..  you're reaching here... Maybe... We'll never know because he bailed from Serie A for a comfortable spot with millions in MLS. When the US we're eliminated, US analyst criticized heavily players good enough to play in Europe and being challenged for choosing the money and comfort of MLS. Last WCQ saw a very "soft group" bitching and moaning about wet pitch in CONCACAF while having the arrogance to dare "Eurosnobs" to play in this region. They (including Bradley) got owned by Trinidad B TEAM.

And how exactly have we done against any serious A or B team lately?