CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I hate playing CONCACAF. Can we just play UEFA?. It's not like we will qualify for any less tournaments. At least it won't be so frustrating to watch.

Or we could actually take things seriously?  Maybe hire a real manager or play a friendly?  

Just now, SthMelbRed said:

It's not much that our players aren't very good, it's that they also seem to be ridiculously stupid on the pitch. 

Preach.. honestly it’s same old same old.  You can tell most players have gotten by on their size/speed and now that they’re matched they don’t know what to do.  

- work the ball around aimlessly 

- ball over the top down the wing

- full back matches for pace

- turn to the touch line and play a back pass

- repeat

Hope these boys come out and kill their next match because right now their legacy is trashed. 

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's not much that our players aren't very good, it's that they also seem to be ridiculously stupid on the pitch. 

Case in point, with time running out a heavy touch by the SKN attacker gifts possession back to us at midfield. What does the fucking moron CB do? Only leather the ball 60 yards for a goal kick...game over. Embarassing.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

York 9 select defeats Juventus ✔️

Atlantic Selects defeats Fortuna Dusseldorf ✔️

Youth teams getting beat year after year since the MLS era and with MLS heavy roster 

Hopefully CPL changes things and we stop our blind reliance on MLS Academies because...it ain't working. 

If MLS academies were the problem the Americans would be struggling. 

Perhaps we under rate SKN?

Beating Canada 2-1 in u20...

5th in LON qualifying with +11 GD ...

We should have sent Davies down and forced Liverpool, Gent and Barca to get the other boys in for help. That way we can revel in the glory of beating a "minnow". 

Never mind the upcoming senior match, clearly we don't need our beat squad for that one!

I think one of the most shocking things about our style of play throughout the whole tournament so far is the lack of quick passing. It looks like our guys have never been taught how to do a 1-2. It isn’t an incredibly difficult thing to master, but it is so effective. Quick little passes with runs behind can break down a defence. I have seen more of that type of passing from teams like St. Kits than Canada. It seems like the coach was just telling them to get it wide and hammer it into the box.

I don’t know if it was the coaching of the U-20 team or the academies where these players are playing at, but they really couldn’t establish a good style of play. Slow, innacurate passing, with no creative running did us in. The only guys that showed they could pass was Baldisimo and Choiniere. Too much physicality and not enough smarts. 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Ansem that's my way of pointing out there is no fundamental difference in MLS academies on our side of the boarder. 

Find something else to blame. It ain't the MLS acadamies.

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Ansem that's my way of pointing out there is no fundamental difference in MLS academies on our side of the boarder. 

How about developing starting players for your own team regardless of the nationality. Think about it for a minute....if you were the CEO of a company that was spending mega dollars on developing new products but none were good enough to bring to market (Starters), what would you do? There has to be payback for your investment no?

Edited by Kadenge

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have issue with our over reliance on them. Some will say David was a fluke or Larin was a fluke... I have yet to see an MLS academy fluke.

I don't argue with numbers and results... This is our worse youth era which happens to be during the MLS era...somehow, we aren't looking as hard outside those 3 as we used to do.

Status quo doesn't work, why defend it?

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I have issue with our over reliance on them. Some will say David was a fluke or Larin was a fluke... I have yet to see an MLS academy fluke.

I don't argue with numbers and results... This is our worse youth era which happens to be during the MLS era...somehow, we aren't looking as hard outside those 3 as we used to do.

This. You can't argue with data. 

I am not going to point fingers at the U20 coach who I don't know enough about or the CSA other than perhaps not casting a wide enough net for the selection process ( perhaps budget issues?); at the end of the day players need to execute on the field. Players are developed by their clubs not the CSA so who do you blame? When you see players not able to make a simple pass to a wide open player while under minimal pressure or moving like they are  in wet concrete you have to question what's going on at the academies. The level of intensity and concentration just does not seem to be there for many in this squad and that is developed at the club level. I hope that we are not deluding ourselves that just because we have 4 super teens that all is well with our youth development 

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I am not defending the status quo. I am pointing out your faulty logic:

- Canada has MLS heavy squad

- Canada performs badly

- MLS squad = bad performance 

Other potential factors:

- team unity

- game preparation 

- in game tactics

- player psychology 

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Your assertion that Cdn MLS academies are the primary problem because we are playing badly in this tournament is ludicrous. Could they be the part of the problem? Sure, but I would look at the factors listed above first. 

You know, the ones more relevant to this specific teams performance?

Look at players 92 birth year and younger in our pool and let’s see where they came from to settle the MLS academy debate.

Non-MLS academy: David, Larin, Piette, Osorio, Cavallini, James, Cornelius, Akindele, Millar

MLS Academy: Henry, Teibert, Davies, Tabla, Crepeau, Adekugbe, Godinho, Kaye

So it doesn’t look like there is a big disparity in terms of development but that looks like a 50/50 split and that isn’t reflected in squad selection.. so maybe that’s the issue here.  

As we’ve learned in the case of Millar, TFC is based a lot on the provincial team so the favouritism isn’t confined to any one spot. We need to evaluate talent better across all levels.  It’s absolutely unforgivable for instance that Cornelius is a starter on our MNT but never got a u20 call.. 

look at other guys in MLS too like Wright, Awuah and Laryea all largely ignored by the youth teams but not by MLS scouts?  Clear favouritism or incompetence.

Edited by Keegan

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I am not going to point fingers at the U20 coach who I don't know enough about or the CSA other than perhaps not casting a wide enough net for the selection process ( perhaps budget issues?); at the end of the day players need to execute on the field. Players are developed by their clubs not the CSA so who do you blame? When you see players not able to make a simple pass to a wide open player while under minimal pressure or moving like they are  in wet concrete you have to question what's going on at the academies. The level of intensity and concentration just does not seem to be there for many in this squad and that is developed at the club level. I hope that we are not deluding ourselves that just because we have 4 super teens that all is well with our youth development 

This is kinda funny when you think if it.

All NT coaches should get a pass! 

Why?

Because the clubs developed their players lol 

9 minutes ago, admin said:

I don't think it's so much a sense of attacking the academies per se. It's the sense that the players coming out of our top academies in a pro structure should just on an individual basis, case by case, play by play, pass by pass ect.... be simply better.

Acadamies aren't magical factories where every good player becomes great.

They are places were elite players can play with other elite players and get elite training, instead of playing with a local amateur club, where they are surrounded by less talented players.

The elite players who never had academies to play in before were still elite players, and they were selected for youth national teams.

Academy training polishes them, but any individual polishing counts for little compared to the other factors I listed, which any team needs to get results, such as team tactics, cohesion, belief, playing style, familiarity.

Getting results in a tournament is different than a skills competition.

Edited by Obinna