CONCACAF U-20 Championship (November 2018)

Lou

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

USA qualifies for the U20 World Cup in Poland clobbering Costa Rica 4-0. I still think Canada with a better coach and the inclusion of Davies and at least another of the four missing players would have done a lot better.

Goes without saying :)

On 11/17/2018 at 1:18 PM, Obinna said:

Goes without saying :)

[Revised] Canada's A-team of U20's is superior to the US, but there isn't enough depth after that. Since most clubs don't want to release players for youth tournaments and players already good enough for the senior team have no need for this, Canada wasn't able to get their 1st choice squad. So the CPL academies hopefully will develop depth so a B-team can do well in the U20's and U17's in the future.

Edited by PhillyJawn-guy

USA winners of the tournament as they beated Mexico tonight by 2-0 in the Final

Cant say I’m not Happy to admit this but here it goes; They fully deserved to be champions

With the amount of resources, scouting and the 18 month period how many times they had micro cycles to bring in and test all players at their disposal - Europe, MLS and NCAA 

They were fully prepared as How many camps and friendlies they held

Ayo Akinola made the right choice to stick with the US for this one as they’ve qualified for the World Cup once again 

He finished tied for 3rd scoring (7) and 2nd for the yanks behind Mendez and tied with Llanez

so superb performance by him ??  

I’m confident we will see this kid post Poland 2019 ?? 

He said publicly in an interview in late July, early August that he was considering a move this year but ultimately decided not to just yet

Im sure he’ll turn back to the Canadian flag and for all you who are about to say “Let’s not talk about a guy who doesn’t want to represent us” Canucks Abroad have followed every prospect eligible for the CanMNT until they no longer are 

I do hope he does this for love for our country and not his own personal reasons of “having a better chance with us at senior level” Even though he’d still have to pass handful of other Forwards 

Edited by Thomas

• 3 weeks later...

To address better preparation concerns for these U20 and U17 Championships, would it be unreasonable or too expensive for Soccer Canada to run in Canada a one-week 4 team / 3 game tourney about 6-8 weeks before the associated Concacaf tournament?  Has it been tried?

Could be set up in new CPL region (say Calgary and Edmonton or Hamilton and York) and play a double header on Saturday (Canada vs Team 1, 2 vs 3), on Wednesday (Canada vs 2, 1 vs 3) and on Sunday (Canada vs 3, 1 vs 2), hand out a trophy to winner.   Canada gets in meaningful games while rotating players to prepare for upcoming Concacaf, a week should not be too expensive and at the same time, building up some domestic exposure for the team, working practices and schemes throughout the week.  

It seems like our competitors are getting in more meaningful pre-matches and scheduling the odd friendly does not seem to be working nor does attending the Toulon and like tournaments 4-6 months prior.    This is not to discount going to the Toulon tourney, but to be adding to it.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, A Different Perspective said:

To address better preparation concerns for these U20 and U17 Championships, would it be unreasonable or too expensive for Soccer Canada to run in Canada a one-week 4 team / 3 game tourney about 6-8 weeks before the associated Concacaf tournament?  Has it been tried?

Could be set up in new CPL region (say Calgary and Edmonton or Hamilton and York) and play a double header on Saturday (Canada vs Team 1, 2 vs 3), on Wednesday (Canada vs 2, 1 vs 3) and on Sunday (Canada vs 3, 1 vs 2), hand out a trophy to winner.   Canada gets in meaningful games while rotating players to prepare for upcoming Concacaf, a week should not be too expensive and at the same time, building up some domestic exposure for the team, working practices and schemes throughout the week.  

It seems like our competitors are getting in more meaningful pre-matches and scheduling the odd friendly does not seem to be working nor does attending the Toulon and like tournaments 4-6 months prior.    This is not to discount going to the Toulon tourney, but to be adding to it.

Thoughts?

I've asked this very question of the CSA before. They give a long winded non-answer about how they need to make the most of their budget.

To be fair, neither Mexico or the US ever pays in full for their youth tournaments, but they have earned that right. Teams will pay to come play Mexican youth teams and American youth tournaments are paid for by Nike, Audi and other sponsors. Recently Costa Rica paid for the US u17s to fly down for a series of matches. But if you aren't in demand (and we aren't), you need to pay to play. The CSA isn't willing to spend the funds for a fully fledged youth tournament. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 11:08 PM, Grandbloke said:

I live in Quebec City and I saw Le Bourhis play this past winter in a friendly between the Impact U19 team and the Laval Rouge et Or. Le Bourhis is physically imposing, good on the ball and quick. He was one of 2 players who I thought stood out the most for the Impact in that game. The other was Mathieu Choinière.

I have just found out that the player I thought was Le Bourhis was actually Louis Béland-Goyette, who was coming back from an injury and played in that friendly to get some playing time. Le Bourhis wears number 25 for the U19 academy team, and Béland-Goyette wore number 25 in that game, the same number he wore for the senior team.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/03/28/beland-goyette-sest-derouille

Edited by Grandbloke

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

FT Norway 12-0 Honduras !! :D a new record as the biggest win in a FIFA U20 Championship ! 

I remember Canada was eliminated by Panama 2-1 . Canada never faced that Honduran team.

Shocking results.  Mexico also did not win a game.  US and Panama should advance.  To the bolded, no Tabla, Davies, Millar and David.

Watching these games on TV makes me uber sad that we aren't there.  I know the reasoning why we didn't send our strongest U20'team, but damn it could be cool to see them competing right now.  With Davies getting few first team minutes, Tabla not playing much, etc., this would have been a great experience.  

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I haven't watched any of the Honduras matches but that seems so much like a fix or a player revolt against the coaching staff/federation.

They did get two men sent off, but by the time the first Honduran was sent off early in the 2nd half it was already 7-0, while the 2nd wasn't sent off until after all of the scoring had been completed!

22 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

So someone remind me why we didn’t send our best players to the last U20 qualifying tournament? Is it because we are such a soccer powerhouse that making or not making an U20 World Cup really makes no difference to  soccer in Canada? 

Because we couldn't send them. It's not during a FIFA date, so the club has to approve it. 

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

So someone remind me why we didn’t send our best players to the last U20 qualifying tournament? Is it because we are such a soccer powerhouse that making or not making an U20 World Cup really makes no difference to  soccer in Canada? 

49 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Because we couldn't send them. It's not during a FIFA date, so the club has to approve it. 

I thought it was more that we had CONCACAF Nations League qualifiers at the same time as the U20 qualifiers, and some people argued that it is standard practice to not try and call up players that had already the senior squad.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I haven't watched any of the Honduras matches but that seems so much like a fix or a player revolt against the coaching staff/federation.

I was thinking the exact same thing ... there has to be an investigation into that result!  Did anyone plunk down a bunch of money on a 10+ goal win for Norway?!?

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, Gian-Luca said:

They did get two men sent off, but by the time the first Honduran was sent off early in the 2nd half it was already 7-0, while the 2nd wasn't sent off until after all of the scoring had been completed!

Just out of curiosity:  did the Honduran captain get interviewed at halftime and mention "damage control?"