FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

4 hours ago, dmont said:

Ugh, agreed. The white Korean-looking character in the middle looks off-center. It also looks too small in the middle of the shield. What is the point of the rabbit tracks? Is subtlety what we're going for? Pretty awful...

… still think Calgary's is the worst though. I hope Calgary goes with it's alternate.

Thank you, it was driving me crazy.  I knew I'd seen that before somewhere...on the window of the Korean restaurant up the street.  

I'm trying to think of something about this crest that I don't hate, but I'm not having any success.

1.  Straight, bland "FC Edmonton" under a curvy top of the crest.

2.  Standard post-2000 cornball slanty split between colours.

3.  Why break up "2010" with ...those are rabbit tracks?  Could they not get the rabbit to pose long enough to add him to the crest?

Overall crappiness:  100%

Edited by SuperCanuck

2 hours ago, dmont said:

The lack of balance was torturing my OCD. 

FC_Edmonton%20copy_zpsoongaxsr.jpg

I thought the Faths sat at a table with supporters, furrowed their brows and listened attentively.  Perhaps you could send this off to them and tell them there's been some sort of mistake.

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

What I expected in this thread: "Holy shit FCE is back and playing in CPL next year!"

What i see: "I don't like the new logo"

Jesus, kids these days.

We all knew FCE was coming back so to act surprised now is naive, you know they posted a vid a few days/pages ago right?

46 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

We all knew FCE was coming back so to act surprised now is naive, you know they posted a vid a few days/pages ago right?

Oh yeah i got all the emails too. It's just funny that there hasn't been a single positive comment about the fact this is the 5th franchise announced for this league or any sense of relief that the club is back. But a bunch of opinions on the colours and logo as if any of that eye candy crap actually matters.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Oh yeah i got all the emails too. It's just funny that there hasn't been a single positive comment about the fact this is the 5th franchise announced for this league or any sense of relief that the club is back...

I guess some of them are too young to remember the Aviators and the Brickmen and why doing a Lazarus act isn't the way this story would normally end. If the league is going to operate initially in a way that makes a team sustainable in a less than stellar not quite 5000 seat stadium, we might not be seeing a repeat of the usual script.

13 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Funny, I think Calgary’s is probably my favourite.

This. Taste is subjective clearly.

Also, I don’t understand the disdain over the Edmonton logo. Other than the E having a squiggly middle blue line to represent a river, the logo is fine to me, definately better than the clip-art placeholder NASL one they had previously.

Edited by Macksam

Couple of notes from the articles.  First definitely read Sandor's article for a more personal take on FCE's return

From June of 86 (really recommended, whole lot more than what I've put here)

• Ball wouldn’t reveal how many $40 memberships were purchased during the membership drive, but it made a significant impression.

“Memberships to date — and this is before the launch on Friday — have far, far exceeded the number of season seats that we sold in the last couple of years,” said Ball, whose team set an attendance record of 3,408 in the 2017 NASL season. “The reason we did it was to gauge fan support. Ownership was adamant that we wanted to see if the fans were going to be there. And they were.”

• “It’s literally night-and-day,” Ball said. “I spent two years running FC Edmonton within the NASL and having worked with the CPL, it is night-and-day. I can count on one hand the number of times I called the NASL head office for advice or guidance. But the CPL, their entire front office, that headquarters if full of people with deep experience in sports, communications and marketing. And in the soccer world as well. (CPL president) Paul Beirne has a body of work that is unmatched in the world of soccer in Canada from a front office perspective. He’s a huge resource to all of us who are launching across the country.”

• “The reality is that Clarke is our home,”  Ball said. “Clarke has been our home for four years. We don’t talk publicly about transactions with the City or any of our vendors. I can tell you that we are at the table with stakeholders following the stakeholder engagement process that the City has put in place. We’re going to continue along that process until we create a win-win situation.”

Does this imply that people on the #YEG4CPL list have had to actively do something to convert their previous pledge into a membership? That might explain the apparent discrepancies with previous statements. The YEG4CPL list may have been inflated by interested fans from elsewhere given people like Anthony Totera were urging participation to help them get past 1000 when it was mistakenly believed by some that was all that was needed to bring FCE back.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Does this imply that people on the #YEG4CPL list have had to actively do something to convert their previous pledge into a membership? That might explain the apparent discrepancies with previous statements. The YEG4CPL list may have been inflated by interested fans from elsewhere given people like Anthony Totera were urging participation to help them get past 1000 when it was mistakenly believed by some that was all that was needed to bring FCE back.

I bought during the original YEG4CPL phase and wasn't prompted to do anything to convert. I'm still looking for some communication from the club.

23 hours ago, dmont said:

The lack of balance was torturing my OCD. 

FC_Edmonton%20copy_zpsoongaxsr.jpg

I like it. The rabbit tracks are a clever touch. Most importantly, it is WORLDS better than the old one, which always looked like the shield of a third rate prep school to me.

9 hours ago, IAmPappy said:

Love it. 

Suggestion: Move the rabbit underneath the “F” so that 2010 is not split in half.