FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

8 hours ago, ESG Shawn said:

I bought during the original YEG4CPL phase and wasn't prompted to do anything to convert. I'm still looking for some communication from the club.

Maybe the early access friends and family code could have wound up in your spam folder? Looks like it opens to the public today, so it will be interesting to see how fast sales go after that:

5 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

It is funny how the edmontonians like the new crest and how everyone else doesn’t.

With the exception of the inexplicable choice of rabbit tracks over an actual rabbit, I dont have a problem with the crest in principle. What I cant understand is why they would make the central feature (the FCE) lopsided and off-centre. Its jarring to the eye and you dont usually see that in professionally-designed crests or logos. 

9 minutes ago, dmont said:

With the exception of the inexplicable choice of rabbit tracks over an actual rabbit, I dont have a problem with the crest in principle. What I cant understand is why they would make the central feature (the FCE) lopsided and off-centre. Its jarring to the eye and you dont usually see that in professionally-designed crests or logos. 

To be honest it definitely seems more natural the way they did it then the adjusted version posted to the board.... maybe I just don’t have a good eye, but the adjusted one is the one that looks weird to me.

I like the crest, it's very modern with an aggressive look, I like that it calls back on our history and subtly features the rabbit, which will obviously be part of other branding material. I like that it juxtaposes Calgary's "vintage" look, adding another element to the differences between the two cities. The colour scheme is fantastic. 

Honestly tho, I don't care what most think at the moment. The biggest determination of a crest's success is time. If people in Edmonton can embrace the weak ass crest the Oilers have, then getting people on board should be no problem.

I'm still going to wear the fuck out of it. It's MY TEAM's crest. 

Edited by ThatDaveCh

Jay Ball and Jeff Paulus on TSN 1260 (starts about 7 min in)

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/audio/sports-night-june-14-hour-1-1.1113338

-Ball goes over the rebirth

-Paulus talks about types of players, stressed having local players

-Ball looking into head coaches now

-Ball discussed the stadium, couldn’t go into specific details for Clarke with but admitted it was a “band-aid” solution and there is a need for a 5-10k seat stadium long term.  Asked how much more money would council be asking a private citizen to invest into a community multi-purpose facility.

-In the process of figuring out the seating configuration for Clarke next year.  Outselling all previous years for season seat sales and if continues this way expects to be at 4-5k total.

-Paulus admits there will be a growing period for quality of the league but believes that level can be equal to the NASL at launch

-FC Edmonton academy and the club culture that’s developed over the past give them a leg up on the new clubs

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

I like the badge. The rabbit would be a nice touch tho.

Haven't really looked to see if it was mentioned here, but Tom Fath did mention that the rabbit will be back on the kit similar to how it was done in 2014-2017 (on the back of the neck) at the after-party of the launch. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, masster said:

The fact that 808 members is far far better than anything they have done in the past is not a good sign. 

Well... That's not quite the entire story... There was some issues in reconciling the previous membership sale with how the league does things post-launch. When the club did the launch in Feb, there was the ability to mention how many season tickets you would commit to. So there's a ton more than this in terms of season ticket commitments, but individuals is a much lower number. The 2017 season tickets were well over 1000, closer to 1200-1300. Based on when Jay mentioned that number, and some of the stuff that's happened since them (Jay talking about a "bump" in sales when Calgary was announced for example) I would wager that the number of season tickets that people have stated they want is closer to 2000 rather than 800. 
Its messy. But considering that they just went ahead and started collecting back in Feb, I'm not surprised that there's issues with it. For what its worth, those who have already bought in will find out their number later this summer (as per a club email that came out yesterday). 

On 6/10/2018 at 4:07 PM, ThatDaveCh said:

I like the crest, it's very modern with an aggressive look, I like that it calls back on our history and subtly features the rabbit, which will obviously be part of other branding material. I like that it juxtaposes Calgary's "vintage" look, adding another element to the differences between the two cities. The colour scheme is fantastic. 

Honestly tho, I don't care what most think at the moment. The biggest determination of a crest's success is time. If people in Edmonton can embrace the weak ass crest the Oilers have, then getting people on board should be no problem.

I'm still going to wear the fuck out of it. It's MY TEAM's crest. 

The only way I would like it more is if they literally used the one I designed.  It's great, really represents what Edmonton has become as opposed to what it used to be/what people who aren't from there think it is.

Can't wait til i pay for this wedding/credit card debt and can afford a bit more swag haha

Honestly, I just can't see Clarke being changed into a 20,000 person venue. That's a LOT of people into a space that currently holds 1/5 of that. Its not very big at all. I could see RE/MAX field being used as a stadium venue for it (currently is around 9,000 and I can def see it being doubled if you put people on the field), or use what Folk Fest use... A few giant screens at the bottom of a hill in the river valley, first come first serve for spots and go from there. It would be a SUPER Edmonton-esque event if they did that.

Also: yes Rexall is still up, but is not in use. Currently being debated what the city wants to do on that site I believe. However, another possibility could be Northlands. Plenty of room in there as well, with a lot of parking.  

EDIT: I think the last line in the article would be the biggest hurdle for Edmonton... A "world class" practise shielded from the public. Clarke COULD be used... But seeing as how Edmonton is currently one stadium short... I think there's potential for something else. 

Edited by jedinathan

7 hours ago, RS said:

World Cup fan fests aren't held in stadiums or arenas. They're held in outdoor public spaces.

There's no need for a 20,000 seat stadium.

I not only agree, but thought that putting such a criteria up as essential is simply ridiculous. It can't even be in the top 20 of important things a WC venue has to worry about. 

The only reason they may be considering closed or limited access spaces is for security, which we have to appreciate in the case of Las Vegas considering the hell they went through. But that could also be a hockey arena, and an outdoor space can also be controlled access in fact.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Loyal Company of the River Valley ep 148 with Jay Ball FC Edmonton GM (part 1)

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-148

-General talk about the six months of shuttering of the team to the rebirth.  Lots of local insight from supporter side and management

-They talked about the logo and how there are critics but locally it means something to them

-First time Ball met PB was at the Valencia/Cosmos game in Regina last summer.

-Funny story, went to a park to talk and FCE supporters just happened to walk by and saw them

-Ball figures Al Classico attendance was the turning point for the Faths to go forward

-Ball says he was enthusiastic, positive and Faths were clinical and patient waiting to see

-Talked about the importance of the March events, building momentum.  The importance of building a community, continue to engage everyone and build the fan base going forward

-Talked CPL front office has lots of experience and guidance to pass along but lots of autonomy for the clubs to plan events and he details what they added to the FCE launch (supporters march, them debuting the logo, etc)

-Part 2 will address the future of the team

44 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Loyal Company of the River Valley ep 148 with Jay Ball FC Edmonton GM (part 1)

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-148

-General talk about the six months of shuttering of the team to the rebirth.  Lots of local insight from supporter side and management

-They talked about the logo and how there are critics but locally it means something to them

-First time Ball met PB was at the Valencia/Cosmos game in Regina last summer.

-Funny story, went to a park to talk and FCE supporters just happened to walk by and saw them

-Ball figures Al Classico attendance was the turning point for the Faths to go forward

-Ball says he was enthusiastic, positive and Faths were clinical and patient waiting to see

-Talked about the importance of the March events, building momentum.  The importance of building a community, continue to engage everyone and build the fan base going forward

-Talked CPL front office has lots of experience and guidance to pass along but lots of autonomy for the clubs to plan events and he details what they added to the FCE launch (supporters march, them debuting the logo, etc)

-Part 2 will address the future of the team

Thanks for the post! I have to say, I think Part 2 is even more informative. Lost track of what we talked about when while recording, but I think next week has a bunch of things for the next 6-10 months for FCEd and the CPL in general. 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:11 PM, BradMack said:

Ha! After all the bashing in the council meeting that the Eskimos did, they allow an ad on their sideline! Jay Ball is a winner, this is hilarious.

FCEd has now officially done 100% more advertising in Edmonton sports than they did in 2017. I'm very  glad to see ads like this. 

Edited by jedinathan