FC Edmonton launch/2019 offseason thread

Ansem

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loyal Company of the River Valley episode 149 part 2 with Jay Ball

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-149

-“Clarke Stadium is nothing more than a band aid solution to a long term problem.  It’s a community recreation facility.  In no ways or means does it represent a professional sports environment or venue.”

-Club needs to “check off boxes”, “Once you redesign the venue or choose a new venue, you change the vision” and that’s the biggest one FCE still needs to do

-Changing the venue is a message and they aren’t there yet

-They don’t want to displace football for soccer, while being quiet it’s in respect to the process with the city put forward to resolve the issues.

-Brought up Remax field and DC comments on it.  Ball says Prospects (baseball team) have a long term contract there and they’re doing well.  Ball can see it as a venue if there is no other tenant, many other local soccer groups in need a full pitch to play on.  But has not been discussed.

-Looking for a 2-3 year lease with the city for Clarke and go from there.

-First time in club history that someone from the team has went to the city and asked “what’s possible”

-“Clarke for 2019 and beyond isn’t the only option and we’re working through other ideas”  They have to think outside the box and be creative and they have a couple of other ideas.

-Other than filling the venue and making it a fortress, the venue itself is the “biggest nut to crack”

-Now working on how to design Clarke in the short term as well as the infrastructure upgrades to the stadium that are needed

-Announcements are coming (kit/coach/etc) but time frame is 6 months  

-Talked the crest and the work behind it.  Also the preps for the launch and working with Oilers game day staff who assisted.

-Talk of how to keep the community working together to keep the momentum going into the first CPL season

-Sold out of merch at the launch. Reordered stuff.  Working with the league to get an online presence for sales.

-League is working with the teams to provide the merch, finding suppliers at the best possible cost.  Ball said it’s a big help to the teams, one less thing they have to focus on

-Believes that there is a greater benefit (strength/buying power) for the league to market all teams to one opportunity for sponsors (in regards to kits)

-“This league is going to be successful.  It already has been successful on a number of fronts.  It’s the right time for this league.  Now it’s time to blow it up together and shock and make a statement.

-Getting emails every day from companies looking to get in and he’s referring them to head office for cross country exposure.  Lots of national companies based in Edmonton and it’s important for the league to have access to them.

-Night and day in the response from corporations from last year.  Thinking on a bigger level.

-Biggest differences from CPL to NASL access to the league.  Rarely called NASL for advice but is in contact with CPL every day or two.  Put over PB’s experience again and the rest of the staff there as well as the various ownership groups.  “No one is alone”

-Talked about the need for supporters groups to help each other, work together and grow the newer communities without the history some have (like FCE).  On the pitch hate and yell and scream together but off the pitch groups can do a lot of good together.

-Reiterated the 5-10 years pro/rel hope of PB

-Talked about the Free Footie group in Edmonton as something they need to support and raise awareness of the good work they do.

-Predicted an FCE 2019 championship lol

Wow, thanks for that breakdown. To me, some of the stuff he talked about was like "well, duh" for me but I guess I'm a little close to the situation and sometimes lose focus on how juicy all this info is.

My biggest takeaway from this whole conversation was Jay just being blunt above how the club sees Clarke. I think it's very telling what kind of renos/improvements that stadium will get.

1 hour ago, ahuber said:

My biggest takeaway from this whole conversation was Jay just being blunt above how the club sees Clarke. I think it's very telling what kind of renos/improvements that stadium will get.

Moving the awkwardly placed corner grandstands to the endzones and more seating to the left or right of the old grandstand which doesn't run the full sideline like big blue would be the easiest route to fix things for year 1 and raise seating to at least 5K. Problem has been the city doesn't want to put large grandstands on the endzone from what I've heard as it would have to be easily removable for pointy ball.

Removable large grandstands that don't damage the turf can be used though and have been for other stadiums with a similar situation with pointy ball so they may just have to invest in that type of seating that can be rolled in and out as needed. One large grandstand in one endzone of this type would work.

3 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think it's him. Jeff Paulus looks to be as bald as a cue ball, whereas the person in the ominous photo from FC Edmonton clearly has a full mop. Unless they got the photo wrong, it looks like it'd have to be someone else.

https://twitter.com/jeff_paulus

Could be that they are using Paulus' quote to throw people off.. Or someone else's picture to throw people off

6 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think it's him. Jeff Paulus looks to be as bald as a cue ball, whereas the person in the ominous photo from FC Edmonton clearly has a full mop. Unless they got the photo wrong, it looks like it'd have to be someone else.

https://twitter.com/jeff_paulus

Isn't that the same profile image that appeared in the HFX tweet about their coach? It is awfully similar, except what looks like a hat. Maybe they have a few images of the same person, variations.

Makes me think it is a generic image or similar the teams will be using across the board.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Xavier said:

What are you guys looking for in your kits? I am going to make a concept for each team and would love your opinion.

I would love to see a Croatia style blue and black (blue and white?) checkerboard. The ESG uses to fly a black and blue checkered flag and I always thought it would make for a unique and stylish kit. 

46 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

I would love to see a Croatia style blue and black (blue and white?) checkerboard. The ESG uses to fly a black and blue checkered flag and I always thought it would make for a unique and stylish kit. 

That is an interesting idea.. It would have to be navy blue, white, and light blue. The team's actual colors.

However, I think FC Edmonton is gonna go back the the diagonal split thing on their jerseys. They have it on the crest, and they seems to be really pushing their history. I would like that type of Jersey. They didn't do it all that well when FC Edmonton tried it. But I'm sure Xavier could make it look really good.

Archived