Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/2019/04/oliver-minatel-cavalry-fc-canadian-premier-league/

... How did you end up signing for Cavalry FC?

“I started talking to Tommy (Wheeldon Jr., Cavalry FC head coach) and Martin (Nash, Cavalry FC assistant coach) in late last year,” said Minatel. “I was finishing up my season in Australia, at the time. So, we spoke a lot. The project was very interesting. I was excited. And I really wanted to come over. By the end of the year we had everything sorted. And I’m happy to be here working.” ...

Martin Nash was the Fury's assistant coach when Oliver Minatel was there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Minatel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Nash_(soccer)

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I saw that Cavalry U-20 is going to have a team in the Alberta Major Soccer League this season. FC Edmonton will enter a U-20 team as well. This will bring the AMSL up to 10 teams.

It will be interesting to see who plays on that team and how they do in the league.

I assume neither would participate at Nationals if they win.

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think that's the first example of going past 20 without a U-Sports signing being involved.

Saw it mentioned in an article, forget where, that three spots are designated for U21 players. So I don't USports signings gives extra roster spots at all

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's a developmental contract, will go back to school for his Junior year (3rd) at Carleton in order to remain his eligibility and plans to finish his studies before turning pro 

Would have been very strange to not have seen the #1 pick at U-Sports not signed, glad that's been settled now, scored 17 goals in 2018, Cavalry have themselves quite the player 

6 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I was looking at Ticketmaster and ticket sales for Cavalry look really weak, not to mention, really expensive.  Anyone from Calgary have a view on this?

What does the ticketmaster seating map look like now? Let's have an update for the first game vs York (May 4th) 

It's easy to check:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/cavalry-fc-vs-york9-fc/event/110056656EFB1ADF

The expensive ticket prices definitely appears to be an issue, but looks like they should get at least 3000 or so at a minimum and probably significantly more, so it's not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination. There is a smattering of cheap tickets still available behind the goal in the supporters section, which is somewhat surprising if most would be fans are balking at the prices in most of the new grandstand.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Chris Serban out for the season. Tough loss as he figured to play heavy minutes. No mention of what type of injury but he has had knee problems in the past.

Also of note, Spruce Meadows is apparently going to be named ATCO Field?! They've already begun installing the seats with "Spruce Meadows" written out so I imagine it will be ATCO Field at Spruce Meadows.

http://northerntribune.ca/chris-serban-injury/

Edited by BuzzAndSting

21 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's easy to check:

https://www.ticketmaster.com/cavalry-fc-vs-york9-fc/event/110056656EFB1ADF

The expensive ticket prices definitely appears to be an issue, but looks like they should get at least 3000 or so at a minimum and probably significantly more, so it's not disastrous by any stretch of the imagination. There is a smattering of cheap tickets still available behind the goal in the supporters section, which is somewhat surprising if most would be fans are balking at the prices in most of the new grandstand.

I think only 3000 for a home opener is a disaster.  I wonder if the location is an issue.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but the stadium does t seem to be in a very central or convenient location.

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I think only 3000 for a home opener is a disaster.  

+1

3,000 fans for your home opener is a disaster! Cavalry front office don't know what they're doing in terms of ticket prices. They've sold 2,000+ season tickets but only to the members of their "rich country club equestrian exclusive group" The majority of people don't agree or simply don't have the money to pay $80-100 for a main grandstand central seat and $50 for a side seat. Very few sections where it's $35 and below for single game tickets. Hope attendance gives them a re evaluation of their ways.

Maybe they're trying to recuperate some money on the million dollar plus expansion fee and what it costed to built the stadium 

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I wonder if the location is an issue.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but the stadium does t seem to be in a very central or convenient location.

No you're completely right, the location is a big issue, it's 30-40 minutes from Downtown Calgary, outside of the city practically - Foothills County, AB.

8 hours ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

I think only 3000 for a home opener is a disaster.  I wonder if the location is an issue.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but the stadium does t seem to be in a very central or convenient location.

I'd imagine that the week between the inaugural game this weekend and Cavalry's first game a week later, will be a big time for marketing. Especially considering the exposure that the league should gain by the CBC broadcast. Although its 3,000 now, you'd have to hope for 4-5000 by match day. Heck we were all scared about Pacific' s home opener just a week or so ago and now it's sold out.

Let's not just cry out disaster before it even happens.

Edited by Pottsy3

Perhaps not the right thread, but, wouldn't it make sense for Foothills to share the Spruce Meadows location with Cavalry?

Think about it, Spruce Meadows gets more use, revenue, exposure and Foothills get out of the Compsite H.S facility in Okotoks, which is even further from the city centre.

As a general rule I don't like clubs sharing the same venue, but in this case there may be some benefit by making Spruce Meadows de facto Soccer Central in Calgary. 

Edited by Obinna