Cavalry FC launch/2019 off season thread

There are plenty of examples of coaches signing and selecting their sons over the years including at the most extreme a 12 year old (?) in a top tier professional game in Bolivia, but it's probably better not to get into anything that looks like nepotism unless the player involved is clearly good enough because its a recipe for resentment over team selection both in the locker room and the stadium.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Looks bad on the whole league to be honest.  It would be one thing if he was in his early 20s but the guy is 30 and has never played pro.  

He probably won’t even play but I’m thinking Cavalry is going to be my pick for the basement.

Edited by Keegan

I understand why they signed him simply from the viewpoint that he's probably cheap (he has an alternative income running the academy) and understands the system Wheeldon Jr. wants to establish. Having older experienced players who understand the system is key to providing guidance for the younger players. 

1 minute ago, Senorpopps said:

I understand why they signed him simply from the viewpoint that he's probably cheap (he has an alternative income running the academy) and understands the system Wheeldon Jr. wants to establish. Having older experienced players who understand the system is key to providing guidance for the younger players. 

What's wrong with assistant coach / consultant?

Nothing, could go either way. I'm just not as totally against this as other people despite the huge stigma against nepotism. What I will have a problem with is if he gets playing time over more deserving players. Moreover, there is the potential that Cavalry were having difficulties finding players that fit into their salary cap, hence why he was signed so late in the window. But then again, I'm just speculating.

A backup the past 3 years in the second tiers of spain switzerland greece..would be interesting to know what his issue was..injuries, fitness, work ethic..because he showed he could do well as he was a starter in serie b 12-13 with 9 goals

On 3/14/2019 at 1:01 AM, Ansem said:

I don't like it one bit. Still maintaining Cavalry finishes last this season

Some of their signings have been, um, peculiar to say the least. Still annoyed at using an international slot on a defender from the English 7th tier.

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/2019/03/cavalry-fc-pre-season-competitive-canadian-premier-league/

...Cavalry FC will play a match against Vancouver Whitecaps FC U23 Tuesday, March 19 at the Calgary Foothills Field House. Cavalry FC will then host CPL rivals FC Edmonton for a pre-season match Saturday, March 30..."Bringing in the Whitecaps U23 side, they’ll be a good footballing side. They’ll be young, fit. They’re farther along in their game season than we are, though we anticipate a good run out. It’s nice to bring in a quality club like that.” ... Following the match against FC Edmonton at the end of the month, Cavalry FC will travel to Dominican Republic with every CPL team April 4 for 10 days worth of warm-weather training...

Decent. Like the siege mentality thats being formed according to Tommy as they are hearing it's being said they are the weakest squad and are happy to be dark horses. 

Edit: 

Not a hugely weak U23 team either. Not sure how the Cavs lined up but they did have a couple missing. 

Whitecaps FC Development Squad
Thomas Hasal*; Georges Mukumbilwa, Brendan McDonough*, Connor Guilherme, Gabriel Escobar; Damiano Pecile, David Norman Jr.*, Chance Carter; Nicholas Fussell, Theo Bair*, Kamron Habibullah

Substitutes
Chituru Odunze, Jalen Watson+, Keenan Foley+, Thomas Raimbault+, Vasco Fry+, Emiliano Brienza

*MLS roster
+Academy call-up

Edited by toontownman