Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Man I had no idea it was winner of group and not every top 2 team, that's crazy, but I guess with it being classified a friendly tournament makes sense.

Maybe it has been the years following the program but I saw the group and was like..... well I hope we get a result in one of the 3 matches.

Now we control our own faith, pretty cool, and agree with most on here the mentality needs to be, play to win. 

Not getting ahead of myself here as Turkey did have a few chances and could have scored, although the last 15-20 we were the better team, but we could very well be at 2 points right now.  Much respect to the squad pushing for the win this time compared to Portugal, when the HUGE 3 points were there for the taking.  In my opinion it was Turkey down the final 15-20 that would have been okay with a tie, it cost them.

Exciting match for us ahead, and winning the group is there for us and what we now need to play for. Keep it up fellas!

original post ^, sorry long day + excitement.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, spitfire said:

What a game even better in person!!!  How Liam didn’t score when it came back off the post omg. And just for the record Liam was trying a harry Kane he says he touched it.. have too see the replay!!! No matter what a great win!!!!!!!

Thank you for all the update over the last few months. 

You’re obviously very close to Liam, please tell him we’re all very proud of all that he has accomplished so far and we look forward to following him wherever he goes on his footballing journey!

17 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Yes we were. This is a very good result. Let's hope the boys can avoid the typical Canadian letdown next game.

edit: Turkey have a number of 97's with Super Lig experience, it is not a U20 team as Soccerway states.

Re-watching the game again today I noticed that the commentator mentioned more than once that the Canadian team was significantly younger than the Turkish team.

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Watching it in person they definitely looked older. The wiki squad list doesn't have ages for the Turkish players but several had full beard lol.

Where did you watch the game again? Can't seem to find it here at all... 

Subscribed to DAZN for me.  Even if it is for a month or two, totally worth it to see these games.

When have we even had such a choice before....

17 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Watching it in person they definitely looked older. The wiki squad list doesn't have ages for the Turkish players but several had full beard lol.

Where did you watch the game again? Can't seem to find it here at all... 

People from that region sometimes seem to be able to grow full beards starting at age 10

22 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Does anyone know if these games will be archived anywhere? I haven't been able to watch any live yet (friggin kids...) but would love to check them out sometime. 

DAZN has the games archived and you can watch on demand.

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

People from that region sometimes seem to be able to grow full beards starting at age 10

I think half of that Turkish team left in mini-vans with their wives and kids instead of on the team bus. They might have snuck a few through the passport check!

Just watch the turkey match on DAZN. Really impressed with the team as a whole. Very few people stood out either positively or negatively, but a couple people impressed me:

I think both our center backs were very impressive, especially Cornelius. However, I think his tackles can be a little mistimed. Not quite ready for the full team, but really shows potential.

Busti also shows a lot of confidence and he controls his area like a pro. Very impressive for a 17 year old. Didn’t really have the oportunity to stand out at any point, other than his great time wasting.

overall I think the whole team is very talented. Very impressive given some of our top guys aren’t there like Davies. The coaching from both Biello and Herdman was spot on as well. I think them together make a great team. Herdman is good at getting a team to come together, Bond, and commit to the game plan. Biello is a smart tactical coach. I think we are in good hands, both the coaches and players.

11 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Busti also shows a lot of confidence and he controls his area like a pro. Very impressive for a 17 year old. Didn’t really have the oportunity to stand out at any point, other than his great time wasting.

I agree Busti is showing great leadership and command of the box. But I do have reservations - he doesn't have the normal goalkeeper physique/appears quite short, and not that athletic. At the pro level, one of those things can be overcome but not both. It's a small sample size, of course, and maybe the tv skews it a bit.

I don't want to sound pessimistic at this time, but will temper my own expectations of him in the future. Will be very happy to be proven wrong.

44 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

England has basically locked up the best second place team with 7 points and +5 goal difference.

So basically have to finish top of the group now.

From what I can see scenarios to finish top of the group:

1. Win

2. A draw and a Turkey loss or draw

6 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I agree Busti is showing great leadership and command of the box. But I do have reservations - he doesn't have the normal goalkeeper physique/appears quite short, and not that athletic. At the pro level, one of those things can be overcome but not both. It's a small sample size, of course, and maybe the tv skews it a bit.

I don't want to sound pessimistic at this time, but will temper my own expectations of him in the future. Will be very happy to be proven wrong.

From the some of the video footage he's only about an inch or so shorter than Pantemis and seems a bit thicker. To be fair as well the match v Turkey didn't really present many / any opportunities to display any high level athleticism.

Scotland top Group B and will play England in the second SF. If we win our group we'll face Mexico in the other SF. 

If we finish 2nd in the group we'll face France in the 5th place match. If we finish 3rd in the group we'll play Togo for 7th place. We cannot finish last in our group - yay, we got lucky ?

Archived