Toulon Tournament (2018)

Lou

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Geez.  I have admitted my ignorance of our youth prospects, but there have been like 5 or 6 comments lamenting the absence of player X, y, or z.  That can't be good...

it's all relative opinions though....

2 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Hate to disagree about Shaan but he looks less and less impressive each time I’ve seen him play. Scores goals now and then but that’s about it IMO. No other real dimensions to his game yet.  Hasn’t developed along the trajectory he was projected to I don’t think. Maybe this will be a good wake up for him if he’s not an automatic call up?

For me it's the fact that he started his pro career at 16-17  and has played over 50+ professional games against men, while scoring 14 goals is very impressive and not to be understated. 

As a striker your job is to score goals, where ever you go, whoever you play against , however you do it - and I have found he has done just that. That alone is a testament of his movement and his ability to put himself in places to do his job.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

So  starting lineup ? 

—————————David———————

——Millar ———————————Twardek——

——————Shome——Norman——————

—————————Okello——————————

Kinumbe—Cornelius—Sadiki——Legault

————————Pantemis—————————

I  just took a guess on the fullbacks 

IMO Verhoeven, Daniels and Choiniere are all ahead of Norman. 

Isn't Choiniere out for 4-6 months with a major leg injury?

7 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Great to see Verhoeven coming over.

Meh...just because he was with the USA? Some of these guys doesn't make sense to me. Should've called up Akinola then too since he recently got snubbed.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

So  starting lineup ? 

—————————David———————

——Millar ———————————Twardek——

——————Shome——Norman——————

—————————Okello——————————

Kinumbe—Cornelius—Sadiki——Legault

————————Pantemis—————————

I  just took a guess on the fullbacks 

Shome is another questionable/unwarranted call up imo......like when was the last time the kid played a game?

19 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Meh...just because he was with the USA? Some of these guys doesn't make sense to me. Should've called up Akinola then too since he recently got snubbed.

Verhoeven has been a regular starter with USL Fresno all season and has been one of their best players. If he wasn't in the Whitecaps system, he might be a fringe MLS starter already. Very good, creative midfielder.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In  November 1963 he assassinated Lee Harvey Oswald live on television and died about 6 years later from an illness while he was still in prison.

Which makes it a bit of a surprise call up - not the fact that he's been dead for nearly 50 years, but the fact that I didn't think he was eligible to play for Canada given that he's an American.

This is the single best reply I've seen on this board in years. 

30 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Verhoeven is probably the best attaking mid on this team. He's a difference maker for Frenso, basically their Davies in that he is their only chance at having any offence most of the time ?. He will be very important to our offence now that Borges is not going. It is a shame we didn't get Adonijah Reid from Ottawa. A front 3 of Millar, David, Reid with Verhoeven behind them would be tasty.

This is just my opinion but this tournament is going to really show how far we are from the pack,  are we far back as people think we are or  are we going to surprise some people?  Also it's gonna be a huge test for the MLS  academies and their players.  Our  European  bass players have played against the players that we will be playing against in this tournament or same calibre but the MLS academy guys it's going to be interesting. 

Up  Front we are solid , Our midfield to me  is our Achilles  heel or our biggest question mark.  Our CBs are solid but God knows what we have with our fullbacks. 

I really hope this is best squad  available,  because the soccer world will be watching us,  if We can't compete its going to push our program back a lot but if we go out there and kick some ass is going to open some doors for a lot of Canadian players. 

Ya  this is a friendly tournament but at this tournament means a lot !  Specially for first timers. I hope herdman got it right.  Concacaf  U17 and U20 tournament failures are still fresh in my mind. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Geez.  I have admitted my ignorance of our youth prospects, but there have been like 5 or 6 comments lamenting the absence of player X, y, or z.  That can't be good...

Well I think it's a good thing we're giving new, fresh, younger players a look. Deepen the pool. The fact I have barely  heard of Emile Legault is a great thing - unless it's the famous one raised from the ashes -- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émile_Legault

A lot of us constantly moan that only those from certain academies, parts of certain provinces and good old favourites get called up, and now I see a lot moan when fresh faces arrive too.

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Damn, got my Liams mixed up.  It’s kind of nice to have so many guys involved with first teams that they can’t make it. 

I wonder what’s happened to Nicolás Galvis.

I know Galvis has been injured for the whole season and hasn't got any action this year. I believe he had surgery in the offseason and something messed up and he had to have surgery again about 3 months ago. Sounds like he got a screw put in his knee.

12 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Well I think it's a good thing we're giving new, fresh, younger players a look. Deepen the pool. The fact I have barely  heard of Emile Legault is a great thing - unless it's the famous one raised from the ashes -- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Émile_Legault

A lot of us constantly moan that only those from certain academies, parts of certain provinces and good old favourites get called up, and now I see a lot moan when fresh faces arrive too.

I'm all for new faces,  but this is where I question is this the right time/right tournament to bring in unknowns? This tournament is huge and very important.  There's a huge difference between playing against Honduras  El Salvador  Saint kitts and playing against  France England Portugal Japan.  This tournament is all about showcasing canada is best talent and sorry to say it's not there.  We need to play More Friendlies, play in more tournaments and more camps.  That's where you can experiment that's where you can actually see the talent pool. But hey I got be wrong. 

4 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Shome is another questionable/unwarranted call up imo......like when was the last time the kid played a game?

Strange that you say that as there are a lot of youth players selected. Being on an MLS roster beats all of those guys. I'm sure he would have played a lot if he hadn't been recalled from Ottawa. 

Where is Brault-Guillard? He was just saying and he was hoping for a call and signed for Lyon’s first team.. injured?

yea it’s not our best squad possible but none of our opponents will be full strength either. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Where is Brault-Guillard? He was just saying and he was hoping for a call and signed for Lyon’s first team.. injured?

yea it’s not our best squad possible but none of our opponents will be full strength either. 

Yes, apparently slightly injured and not released.

Archived