Zambrano out!

gator

Just now, king1010 said:

I take issue with the way he did it. Going behind the players backs and the way they found out. He could have been transparent with at least sinclair

There are two sides to that. The first being it was leaked and there was no time. The second is they have no say in what this guy does and you can't consult a room full of people with twitter accounts about what you might do before the deal is made.  You just can't do that. 

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Chad_Impact said:

Yes, and those players were called up because they were young and had potential, or had not been seen yet. Listing the fact that Edmonton and the Deltas were mad that they didn't get interest in their players is a joke. Ouimette, Tissot, etc, are all known commodities. 

Bingo.  Kaye was the only player who saw the pitch and looks like a nice addition to the pool.  

As for unattached call ups.. the only one I recall is James Pantemis?  And that seemed more to do with convenience as a 3rd keeper and now he's signed to Montreal.  

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I take issue with the way he did it. Going behind the players backs and the way they found out. He could have been transparent with at least sinclair

Maybe the story got outed before he had a chance to tell them, didn't we read that here somewhere.  I know if I'm trying for a new job I'm not telling anybody anything lest something screws up.

Just now, Chad_Impact said:

Yes, and those players were called up because they were young and had potential, or had not been seen yet. Listing the fact that Edmonton and the Deltas were mad that they didn't get interest in their players is a joke. Ouimette, Tissot, etc, are all known commodities. 

No one said FCE or SFD were mad, but it’s telling that the MNT coach doesn’t even take the time to call Marc Dos Santos and inquire about any players. They weren’t known commodities to OZ, he never saw them play.

4 minutes ago, king1010 said:

He was, it's mentioned that he spoke to her before it came out down near the bottom of this article

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john-herdman-octavio-zambrano-canada-soccer-mens-team-womens-team/

1 minute ago, admin said:

There are two sides to that. The first being it was leaked and there was no time. The second is they have no say in what this guy does and you can't consult a room full of people with twitter accounts about what you might do before the deal is made.  You just can't do that.

We seem to be seeing this much the same way, sorry you're somewhat aligned with me :)

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt Floro get a entire cycle with the same complaints about him not talking to FCE, Ottawa etc.  Ignoring some players, calling some from low levels (Piette etc which worked out fine) having other favorites.  That seems like desperately trying to come up with some rational reason Oz got fired.  

Doesn't mean that Reed has to put up with it like Montagliani did. 

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Not needlessly. He was out the door with the women either way. This has been reported, and he had the England offer on the table.

So offer him more cash or let him go. Players and fans would probably be more ready to accept getting outbid by England, now they've put both programs at risk, have a lot of work to rebuild trust with fans and players of both teams, and everyone including Herman come out tainted and diminished.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

He was, it's mentioned that he spoke to her before it came out down near the bottom of this article

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/john-herdman-octavio-zambrano-canada-soccer-mens-team-womens-team/

That was bedore the news was officially announced by the CSA but after it was reported in the media. Hence reaction on twitter. 

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Not needlessly. He was out the door with the women either way. This has been reported, and he had the England offer on the table.

Did he really want to deal with the tire fire in the England FA right now?

2 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

One last thing: The players might be as shocked as we are that Zambrano is gone, but they are not dipshits. They'll give Herdman a real chance. And he'll earn their trust. He is damned good at player relationships and motivation, as many of you've pointed out.  It is the tactical acuity that I worry about. The guys will play hard for him, for sure. As they did for Hart et al.  But will it be enough? I will give him a chance, for sure.

He probably knows more about our players than any coach coming into the program since the days of some of the unmentionables.  I suspect he wants to coach them, it's not just a new job.   I think the lack of being a former player or someone coming from a place that holds our players and programs in contempt may be a truly distinct advantage.  

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Wasn't Grizzly just defending the CSA in another thread?

Nice timing Grizz lol

I was defending the staff and office workers at the CSA who were unfairly criticized by Moldy as being lazy and incompetent. This has to do with the CSA leadership. I think the way the CSA operated improved a lot under Montagliani, if this is a sign of how things work under Reed it is a very bad sign both for our team and the CSA itself. Let's not forget Zambrano was hired under Montagliani and now is being fired by Reed.

7 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

I think there's going to be a lot of "blow back" from the player and fans of both programs in the wake of this moronic decision!

I suspect there will be very little from the players on the men's team.

Now that Herdman is free to talk to his players, they will fully understand.

Surely there is an HR person among the Vees?! This had to play out like it did. Christine and the WNT will be sad to lose John, but they will support him. He had to go eventually. But NO, he could not have said anything to Christine and his players until Zambrano had been fired.

To be clear, this was a firing. The CSA must have known they had to do this for a while. I bet they spent much of the last few months talking to employment lawyers about HOW to get rid of Zambrano. The fact this is happening first thing in the New Year is pretty typical.

6 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

One last thing: The players might be as shocked as we are that Zambrano is gone, but they are not dipshits. They'll give Herdman a real chance. And he'll earn their trust. He is damned good at player relationships and motivation, as many of you've pointed out.  It is the tactical acuity that I worry about. The guys will play hard for him, for sure. As they did for Hart et al.  But will it be enough? I will give him a chance, for sure.

Praise Allah!

3 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

While I am shocked by this news, there are a number of things that suggest this might be BETTER for us in the long run. 

First: Herdman is no dummy. He would not take on this role if he didn't at least feel the CSA was heading in the right direction and that he would have the tools necessary to have a positive impact. He may not have world class on-field experience as a player, but he is a damned shrewd professional football man. I have no idea if he has the tactical chops to squeeze gold from our rag-tag group of players, but from what I am reading I have little doubt that he is a much better prepared, better organized contemporary coach and student of the game. 

Second: I know we like to believe that the CSA is run by dumbasses--it is an immutable law round these parts--but the organization has become significantly more professional and contemporary and businesslike in the past several years, and if rumours suggest that Zambrano was looking like a real flop among the CSA brass, then there MUST be some truth to this.  I was cautiously optimistic about what I saw--and heard--of Zambrano, but something always niggled at me, something about HIS lack of experience as the head of a program. What if, just say, Zambrano was a lazy fuck when he should have been actively pursuing players and checking out players and planning, planning, planning? What if the CSA saw real promise in his on-field, in-game experience but NOTHING ELSE? 

He managed to get Cavallini back, and Cordova to commit.  But there are lots of guys in CSA that can bird dog duals...only one guy that actaully works on tactics and game management.  Maybe they think Herdman will get Akinola, Tomori, Tabla, and some other youngsters to be excited about a young rising coach.  That I can actually understand.  We'll see what everyone says tomorrow at the press conferences.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

He probably knows more about our players than any coach coming into the program since the days of some of the unmentionables.  I suspect he wants to coach them, it's not just a new job.   I think the lack of being a former player or someone coming from a place that holds our players and programs in contempt may be a truly distinct advantage. 

I can guarantee you he will go into that room for the first time with a long thought out plan to dispel the "woman's coach issue and tackle it head on and win the players over.  If he is successful at that, the sky's the limit.

Archived