Zambrano out!

gator

3 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Your arguments are right on Joe ... what reason was there  to keep Zambrano (Gold Cup QF and attacking football, meh!)... Montagliani was a fool to hire him ... now Stephen Reed replaces him with his man ... and Zambrano is out for reasons we can't discuss ... 

Herdman unfortunately will not have the respect of the players or the majority of the V's here ... sorry ... when you back stab it does not garner respect ... but we will see ... its a stupid move by Reed and the CSA

I have no issue with what anyone is saying about the hiring and firing (I could care less) where I have the problem is this braying about how a "women's coach" can't coach a man's team.  Absurd!

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just like in other pro sports, the current boss doesn't have to live with the previous boss' choices. Montagliani should have let Reed hire his coach. Reed inherited Zambrano and clearly, didn't like him enough to keep him around.

Just like in pro sports, you don't want to fail with someone else's choice, you want your own people in place.

Hardly surprising when you take a second to analyze what happened

6 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Bingo. Future players see this. 

So is he going to jump ship to a better opportunity as soon as it comes up? 

Seems like an oppurtunist. 

Now that is not something you can accuse him of. 

He was with the program seven years and by all accounts pretty darn dedicated to it.

1 minute ago, Chad_Impact said:

"he never once called on FC Edmonton to ask about players. He didn’t make contact with the San Francisco Deltas, even though the team was starting four players who had national-team experience. He didn’t communicate with other coaches in the Canadian program. In fact, for a man who claimed he wanted to take over the scouting process in Canada, there was lots of talk about the teams and players he never bothered to see."

I don't mean to disrespect those players, but, are 25-26+ NASL players really the type that should be getting called to our national team anyways? I'm just DYING for Ouimette to get another shot at starting RB. :lol:

Seriously though.. give us a convincing reason.  Were any of us shattered that we weren't calling Attakora, Ouimette, Bekker, Tissot or whoever else would be considered from those squads?  I know Ledgerwood was in camp in September.. 

The guy had FOUR windows where he called up players like what do you expect?  The players he was calling in are younger and a tier higher IMO.  

7 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

"he never once called on FC Edmonton to ask about players. He didn’t make contact with the San Francisco Deltas, even though the team was starting four players who had national-team experience. He didn’t communicate with other coaches in the Canadian program. In fact, for a man who claimed he wanted to take over the scouting process in Canada, there was lots of talk about the teams and players he never bothered to see."

I don't mean to disrespect those players, but, are 25-26+ NASL players really the type that should be getting called to our national team anyways? I'm just DYING for Ouimette to get another shot at starting RB. :lol:

Is a guy playing in the Israeli second division?

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Reed inherited Zambrano, he didn't hire him...so hardly a surprise that he would make a chance during his tenure. Montagliani, knowing he was leaving should have let Reed hire his coach

I'm kidding relax

5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

This is true, but it sounds like Herdman leaving the women's team was a fait accompli, and there seem to have been valid reasons for dismissing Zambrano. I'm not convinced Herdman can do the job with the men, but I can see no reason why he starts off significantly behind some of the other men we've had in the job.

Amen!

10 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

USL and "Unattached FC" players were called up...just saying

4 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

A bit disappointing for both CanMNT and CanWNT

I 100% agree with this, I think fans of both the CMNT and CWNT are going to be scratching their heads saying, "WTF just happened!?!?"

I don't think either set of fans was looking for a coaching change. Herman had got the women to a legit top 5-10 team in the world, Zambrano had just had a by most accounts successful Gold Cup this summer. 

Honestly and unfortunately, the only logic I can think of is if Herdman himself pushed for this change and the CSA stupidly acquiesced to his demands.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Yes, and that is ok.  He put his time in and improved our program substantially.  

I take issue with the way he did it. Going behind the players backs and the way they found out. He could have been transparent with at least sinclair

Didnt Floro get a entire cycle with the same complaints about him not talking to FCE, Ottawa etc.  Ignoring some players, calling some from low levels (Piette etc which worked out fine) having other favorites.  That seems like desperately trying to come up with some rational reason Oz got fired.  

While I am shocked by this news, there are a number of things that suggest this might be BETTER for us in the long run. 

First: Herdman is no dummy. He would not take on this role if he didn't at least feel the CSA was heading in the right direction and that he would have the tools necessary to have a positive impact. He may not have world class on-field experience as a player, but he is a damned shrewd professional football man. I have no idea if he has the tactical chops to squeeze gold from our rag-tag group of players, but from what I am reading I have little doubt that he is a much better prepared, better organized contemporary coach and student of the game. 

Second: I know we like to believe that the CSA is run by dumbasses--it is an immutable law round these parts--but the organization has become significantly more professional and contemporary and businesslike in the past several years, and if rumours suggest that Zambrano was looking like a real flop among the CSA brass, then there MUST be some truth to this.  I was cautiously optimistic about what I saw--and heard--of Zambrano, but something always niggled at me, something about HIS lack of experience as the head of a program. What if, just say, Zambrano was a lazy fuck when he should have been actively pursuing players and checking out players and planning, planning, planning? What if the CSA saw real promise in his on-field, in-game experience but NOTHING ELSE? 

One last thing: The players might be as shocked as we are that Zambrano is gone, but they are not dipshits. They'll give Herdman a real chance. And he'll earn their trust. He is damned good at player relationships and motivation, as many of you've pointed out.  It is the tactical acuity that I worry about. The guys will play hard for him, for sure. As they did for Hart et al.  But will it be enough? I will give him a chance, for sure.

Archived