Zambrano out!

gator

12 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Then we have nothing to worry about do we?

Why so absolute?  Yes we do on the coaching front.  Probably not on the overall program side of things he has done well there. 

The coaching is an unknown, it just is.   I hope he does well, and I'll do everything I can to continue supporting our teams. 

With a home World Cup on the horizon, hiring someone with this cv on paper is ludicrous. 

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question.  When people get coaching licenses and certifications are there separate licenses that only have courses in how to coach women or how to coach men?  Or are there just courses that tell you how to coach people and then leave it up to you how to interpret and implement that knowledge?  Just wonderin'

5 minutes ago, matty said:

If this true than fuck the CSA for life.  Zambrano wanted change, tried to implement a philosophy here, the CSA and Prov Associations weren’t on board, they complained, and sabotaged him.  With that mentality, I seriously doubt any “sane” or top coach would want to be here, even if fhey offered more money.  The Canadian Futbol politics needs to seriously change.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Floro's world class resume wasn't a big help was it?

You are barking up the wrong tree.  I think Herdman's time being part of the program here overall and an observer might offer something coaches coming in from the cold don't have.

My response above was wrt to why people are losing their shit, not my opinion of him or the hire.   I do feel we should be doing much more, like punching way way way above our weight coach wise with a World Cup looming and doing it on multiple age groups.

What a stupid fckin move.

Imagine the likes of Atiba, Junior, Arfield, etc. coming for their club environment to be trained by a women’s coach.

Consider the young players who are eager to leverage their coaches global connections to gain an edge in the professional ranks or the thought process of those young gents with options to represent multiple nations...

First hand, players are shocked. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How don't I have a clue about him? I have watched him coach the women. I have never seen any coach in world soccer easily transition from the women to the men, it is rarely done except in youth. He has no experience with pro men. 

But call me an ashole for saying it, typical Canadian parochialism coming to the fore there. you are going to have a conversation with a roomfull of asholes tonight seems to me.

Honest question time. Does anybody know of a women’s coach that tried and failed to transition to the men’s game? Is this a thing that people are sure of because of evidence or is it something tha is known for sure... just because?

I don’t follow the women’s game really aside from the CWNT, but I don’t know of any coaches that have transitioned from women’s to men’s, for better or worse.

If Herdman was the man for the job why not give it to him last year? Why bring in OZ at all.  Stupid to give him a year then can him.  What did he do to hurt the program in such a short time??  Why wasnt Herman in the running when OZ was hired then??

I'm very concerned about whether Herdman is the man for the job, and more importantly what this does to the women's team, but I didn't see much from OZ that had me convinced he had this program going in the right direction, other than bringing a few players into the fold (which is as much or more the work of people further up the food chain). We got out of our group at the Gold Cup because a teenager got hot but there was nothing else particularly impressive about our play or results.

If the stories going around about the lack of professionalism of the setup under Zambrano were true, then the CSA may not have had much of a choice. Constant criticisms of an 'old boys network' don't hold water without substance about what it is exactly they've done wrong and I haven't seen evidence of it here, though it may exist.

2 minutes ago, hamiltonfan said:

Imagine the likes of Atiba, Junior, Arfield, etc. coming for their club environment to be trained by a women’s coach.

Seriously?  Friggin' seriously?  Was he a woman's coach before he coached women or just a coach?  Did his brain suddenly stop functioning and start degrading itself once he started coaching women.  Seriously lame.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I'm very concerned about whether Herdman is the man for the job, and more importantly what this does to the women's team, but I didn't see much from OZ that had me convinced he had this program going in the right direction, other than bringing a few players into the fold (which is as much or more the work of people further up the food chain).

Making it out of the group stage of the gold cup for the first time in 4 trys while outplaying the eventual finalists in the finals?

i mean you dont sack a coach after that. You give him the full wcq cycle

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Seriously?  Friggin' seriously?  Was he a woman's coach before he coached women or just a coach?  Did his brain suddenly stop functioning and start degrading itself once he started coaching women.  Seriously lame.

Its not lame? 

Thats like saying oh a house league soccer coach was a coach before he coached house league? 

You’re grasping at straws man. 

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Joe, it’s a different game. Not better or worse. Different. 

Style, tactics, environments, training, managing personnel and relationship. 

Stepping into the top job is ludicrous. If a manager wants to transition either way, I encourage it. But not to the top right away...

7 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If Herdman was the man for the job why not give it to him last year? Why bring in OZ at all.  Stupid to give him a year then can him.  What did he do to hurt the program in such a short time??  Why wasnt Herman in the running when OZ was hired then??

Because it is a knee jerk reaction, that's why. If this was some grand plan the players would know well ahead of the fans, right?

Archived