Zambrano out!

gator

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Is he not likely to have been in on this decision? He walked away from the OSA over how L1O and the wider youth player development scheme associated with it unfolded so doesn't seem the type not to speak up, if he had a major issue over it.

Are you sure?

I strongly think and belevie that Jason DeVos has everything to do with this dramatic change

!.Jason was with Herdman & the #CWNT during there training camps/games/world cup/olympics

2.If Jason had "likely"nothing to do with it then why is Herdman looking over all of #CMNT U14-Seniors....exactly what DeVos job title at the CSA describes him

if you want more info...get in touch with DeVos....hell be more then happy to sit down and have a coffee/conversation

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, L.MODRIC said:

Are you sure?

I strongly think and belevie that Jason DeVos has everything to do with this dramatic change

!.Jason was with Herdman & the #CWNT during there training camps/games/world cup/olympics

2.If Jason had "likely"nothing to do with it then why is Herdman looking over all of #CMNT U14-Seniors....exactly what DeVos job title at the CSA describes him

if you want more info...get in touch with DeVos....hell be more then happy to sit down and have a coffee/conversation

From what Herdman has described it seems like De Vos’ job is more broad strokes as Technical Director. He’s in charge of “talent perform pathways,” the layers underneath the EXCEL program where as Herdman is in charge of the EXCEL program itself. From my understanding the difference is Herdman will be in charge of the elite program at all levels and De Vos is in charge of the broader levels under it at each age group. The overall goal being to create a path to the senior program.

6 hours ago, xman14 said:

Grassroots may be planting the seeds and making them good players but they are completely dependent on the US system to become great. Of all the Canadians in the NBA only two finished high school in Canada, Olynyk in BC and Long in Ontario (after 3 years of high school in the states). The point is that prospects still heavily rely on the American basketball infrastructure to play at the next level as the vast majority are heading south when they are 15. 

Jamal Murray and Thon Maker are two other guys that finished their HS in Ontario and are now in the NBA.   Though Thon's not Canadian.

Heading to the US used to be the case.  But over the last few years the creation of the Athlete Institute/Orangeville prep school in Ontario (2010) and the formation of the OSBA (2016), have changed things.  Now these kids can get a great prep school experience while staying in Canada.  Certainly some players still choose to go to prep school in the US, like current highly rated seniors RJ Barrett and Simi Shittu. 

But you also have examples like current Orangeville prep senior Ignas Brazdeikis (and University of Michigan commit) who's considered a 5 star recruit.  

On 2018-01-08 at 11:27 PM, hamiltonfan said:

it’s a different game. Not better or worse. Different. 

Style, tactics, environments, tempo, training, recovery, managing personnel and relationship. Different.

Stepping into the top job is ludicrous. If a manager wants to transition either way, I encourage it. But not to the top right away...

Bump

On 2018-01-08 at 11:27 PM, hamiltonfan said:

it’s a different game. Not better or worse. Different. 

Style, tactics, environments, tempo, training, recovery, managing personnel and relationship. Different.

Stepping into the top job is ludicrous. If a manager wants to transition either way, I encourage it. But not to the top right away...

Bump ^

On 2018-01-10 at 9:41 AM, Ansem said:

I'm actually shocked at myself for writing this, but it seems the new brass at the CSA aren't looking for mediocrity anymore. Result wise, anything less than the last Gold Cup is a utter failure, but there's was nothing to start celebrating over either.

Again, shocked that I'm writing that the CSA might be looking to actually win and no longer settle for mediocrity.

Also, if Davies gets hurt or wasn't part of that tournament, we wouldn't have made it that far. We can't be a 1 or 3 player team. We need more depth.

I hope you’re right. If that’s the case wouldn’t we expect the CSA to be conducting more camps and make the most of friendly dates on the calendar? Also now that JH is the man what does this mean about all the work OZ put in on trying out different players and using the GC as that stage? JH will have to re-evaluate no? When will he have the opportunity to do so if his bosses don’t square up matches?

Maybe JH should be careful what he wishes for. The way I see it the women’s team always had more support from the brass and got more camps and tournaments then the men: longer periods to gel is what I mean. It also doesn’t hurt given their status they have the privilege of playing good opponents. 

I just hope the CSA is willing to commit now and back up their boy. If not JH will find out very quickly the mess, frustrations and complications when coaching the MNT. 

Crossing my fingers they will support him and give him all he wants in order to save face. 

D70373A0-FEE5-4551-B402-48881BD32683.jpeg

On 2018-01-10 at 9:27 AM, Kent said:

Canada won A game, not games. And yes we scored goals, but we also gave up 5 goals in 4 games. In those 2 previous Gold Cups we only gave up 4 goals in 6 games.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It was an incremental improvement, not some magical run like the 2000 Gold Cup or either of the women's Olympic bronze medal tournaments.

I think Floro confirmed you can play Turtle Turtle (Canada’s style during his tenure contrast to Tiki Taka) all you want but that won’t win games or get you into the Hex.

Mega coverage on OZ/JH/CSA on TSN EPL pre game show at 9.30 am. Many of the concerns raised on this forum were discussed as well as the frustrations by fans as to the lack of communication and clarity. Both KJ/SC raised the issue of the lack of experience in the men's game as well as the massive task of being responsible for developing the youth program as well as manager for the CMNT. While they feel he will be given much more rope than previous mangers the pressure will build if he does not get results for the men. I fear that we may be going into a period of lack of activity for the CMNT for an extended period until JH can get buy in from the players. He has put himself in a pressure cooker.

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

...I fear that we may be going into a period of lack of activity for the CMNT for an extended period until JH can get buy in from the players. He has put himself in a pressure cooker.

Good thing this shit happened now

Danny Dichio today on Sportsnet Premier League coverage was saying he finds it hard to believe the rumours about Zambrano, and most of the players and people he spoke too during Zambrano’s short time coaching the Canadian men’s national team had nothing but good things to say about Zambrano and Graig Forest on the show with him backed him up. 

Sounds like OZ got thrown under the bus.

You can argue that OZ didn't come in with a stellar track record and that he was more of a "let's-wait-and-see" hire, or that the results under him have been overblown - both are fair points. But what you can't argue is that the guy got the chance to prove himself, which i feel he probably deserved. That to me leaves a bad smell to this whole saga.

Canada MNT was extremely unfortunate vs Jamaica in Gold Cup (66% possession acc to ESPN Soccernet). And they proved that in the 2-0 exhibition game victory (55% possession). Jamaica is currently ranked 55th vs Canada's 94th. When was the last time that a Canadian MNT out-possessed its opponent and played attractive soccer? Has was that a sub-par performance? People will point to what the opposition was in the Gold Cup but you can only beat the teams that you play against. And finishing higher than Honduras in the standing was a significant achievement. Honduras narrowly missed out in this World Cup but qualified in 2010 and 2014. They are the competition that we will have to beat to qualify in the next World Cup. I honestly believed that the men's team is on an upward climb, largely thanks to OZ. World Cup qualifying is getting tougher in CONCACAF. The USA didn't get in and last World Cup, Mexico were saved by the US on the last game last minute.

Herdman is credited with renovating the women's team but that was post 2015. He has also been guilty of questionable call-ups. It was extremely disappointing to see the young players that he left off the roster for the World Cup in Canada. Look at the World Cup starting line-up against England in the Quarter-Final loss (World Cup age in brackets) that included Tancredi (34), Scott (28), Wilkinson (33), Sinclair (32), Belanger (29),  Schmidt (27),  Lawrence (20), Chapman (26), Sesselman (32), Buchanan (20), McLoed (32). He did have options . For strikers, he had Leon (23) or Foligno (25) on the bench. He choose to exclude Beckie (21) from the WC roster who IMO is Sinclair's heir apparent, but would include her for the Olympics in 2016. I expected somekind of mea culpa from the CSA after the WC. After all, how much government (ie. yours and mine) money went into funding the WC for a quarter final exit. But CSA is famous for glossing over their failures when it's convenient.

When Floro was the coach, it looked like we were playing not to lose.  When Zambrano was the coach, it looked like we were playing to win.  I appreciated that.  It also made the games more entertaining to watch, and while I'd rather take a boring 1-0 win over an exciting 3-1 loss, man was it fun to watch the Canadian team play some attacking football from time to time.

I really hope we get some kind of concrete answer for why this happened.

I wish we had played the home game vs Mexico not to lose. We went out and tried to play with them and got hurt badly. It should have been park the bus with the occasional counterpunch and hope to luck out with a goal. 

If only we had played to win in ES. We win on the road there and we were in the hex. Mexico didn't matter!

That lack of CONCACAF experience sure did show in WCQ. 

A spot in the Hex was there for the taking. :(

Archived