Herdman new head coach

matty

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Bump.

It's like David McCallum making himself visible again (apologies for those who might not get the reference)

I had meant to lock the thread and start a new one, but hid it.   Since I use the Activity stream, not the forum view I didn't see that it was hidden.   It shows up red in the forum view. 

People seemed to want it unlocked and start a new one when there is something to actually talk about. 

1 minute ago, admin said:

I had meant to lock the thread and start a new one, but hid it.   Since I use the Activity stream, not the forum view I didn't see that it was hidden.   It shows up red in the forum view. 

People seemed to want it unlocked and start a new one when there is something to actually talk about. 

Yeah I know - I wanted to bump this because lots of people seemed to be saying they still couldn't see it.

Just like I don't see the argument how if someone is poking fun at some one for writing a letter or throwing a water bottles onto the pitch or giving the finger to future CSA technical directors, it doesn't mean that we aren't supporting them or want them to fail. (This comment is not directed at you, but just to that we can get this thread back on topic).

52 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It's like David McCallum making himself visible again (apologies for those who might not get the reference)

Holy Kreskin, Batman, I have been binge watching this on Kodi this past month.  Actually holds up really well and his wife on the show is smokin'.  Have read a lot lately about David lately and his amazing lengthy career.  From his early career to my all time favourite The Great Escape to The Man from UNCLE, The Invisible Man and now NCIS this all around nice guy (according to most) has had a fantastic career.

Trivia:  Charles Bronson stole his wife, Jill Ireland, on the set of The Great Escape.  Bad Chuckie!

53 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just like I don't see the argument how if someone is poking fun at some one for writing a letter or throwing a water bottles onto the pitch or giving the finger to future CSA technical directors, it doesn't mean that we aren't supporting them or want them to fail.

This is a funny way of showing it:

Can everyone stop defending this decision, it is sickening. I am personally going to call for Reed to resign and plan to pressure so that Herdman is canned asap, it is intolerable.

This guy is a bad apple and I frankly don't want him anywhere near our program, what a lack of team ethics he has

"I don't know too much about his past," Teibert admitted. "I just know that he's coached the women's team and he's done a fantastic job with them. It doesn't matter if it's women or men. I think in anything, not just soccer, it doesn't matter if it's male or female. If you're doing a good job, you can coach."

^ Better post this before it disappears into revisionism

Whitecap CanMNT players looking forward to meeting Herdman and getting to work
Harjeet Johal red nation January 26, 2018

VANCOUVER, B.C. - It's been 18 days since John Herdman was named coach of Canada's men's national team. The initial shock and reaction was fierce as players, fans, and media were caught of guard by Canada Soccer's announcement. In time, Canada's women's national team players took to social media to thank Herdman, and wish him well. There has not been much said from the players Herdman will now be coaching.

RedNation Online caught up with three Vancouver Whitecaps FC players for their thoughts on Herdman's appointment and if they believe he's the right hire for the job.

First things first, how did players find out about Canada Soccer's news drop.

"I found out just like everybody else," said Russell Teibert. "It was kind of like a bomb that was just thrown out there. No-one really expected it, I know I didn't, and I remember reading the headlines, and thinking, wow."

"I found out about it like everybody else," said Marcel De Jong. "I read it online. What can I say about finding out like that."

"I found out about it like you guys did," Doneil Henry said. "I haven't been in the national team setup for a long time. I've just been injured. I've just focused on myself. I don't know what's going to happen in the future with the national team. I just hope for the best."

While John Herdman has since spoken on air with Canada's two largest sports networks. He has yet to hold media availability with written press. A belated Canada Soccer news conference to unveil Herdman could take place any day now, or sometime before the summer solstice. Herdman has however been in touch with his new national team players.

"There's been an email that's sent out to all the guys that have played with the national team or are in the running to play for the national team," Teibert explained. "It was a positive email. I think he wants to have the same success that he had on the women's side. For years now everyone has been excited about the Canadian men's national team. There's been ups, there's been downs, but it's about time for us to have some success. The country deserves it and we want to give it to them."

"He sent all the players an email introducing himself and trying to explain his vision, mentality," De Jong echoed. "It was a good email to read. I'm looking forward to meeting him."

"Yeah, via email," said Henry, when asked if Herdman had been in touch. "It's been one of those things. Listen he's coming in to do a job. Any coach that comes in to do a job, he's going to set principle. He's going to have an understanding of what he sees, he's going to have a vision. The players he selects, I'm sure he will want them to buy into what he wants them to do right away. I can only do my job, and focus on my club football at the moment, just continue to focus on my goals here. When it's the right time, and it's fitting for both of us, I'll be back with the national team."

Much has been said about John Herdman not having any actual experience coaching or playing professional men's football. Canada Soccer is taking a risk, and hoping that Herdman can translate his success with the women's program to the men's team.

While some players, not all, might have concerns about being managed by a gaffer that hasn't played professional football, the reality is that it's 2018. It's all about 'Sunny Ways'. Equality, acceptance, and change are at the forefront of society, and in sport.

If John Herdman can come in and get results, improve, and help Canada qualify for the 2022 World Cup, his resume will be the last thing fans, media, and pundits question.

"I don't know too much about his past," Teibert admitted. "I just know that he's coached the women's team and he's done a fantastic job with them. It doesn't matter if it's women or men. I think in anything, not just soccer, it doesn't matter if it's male or female. If you're doing a good job, you can coach."

"I've never met a coach who's only worked with women," De Jong said. "We'll have to see how it is. Obviously there is a difference between men and women, but I think it's the same style of work, same business, ball, and same eleven players. Like I said, I'm looking forward to meeting him and working with him."

The 42 year-old Herdman is coming in to do a job. He has Canada Soccer's full backing to do what needs to be done to help turn the men's program around. There is only one senior Canada men's national soccer team, players will have to buy in and adapt. Herdman knows how to coach, motivate, and prepare footballers. Getting consistent results, growing the depth of the program, and developing players will be vital.

"He’s already proved to be a quality and passionate coach," said FC Dallas forward, Tesho Akindele. "I’m excited to work with him while we keep pushing towards our goal of qualifying for the World Cup."

"He's done an incredible job with the women," Teibert said. "Hopefully he can translate that with the men's team."

"He knows the country, and he knows exactly what Canada expects," De Jong replied. "I think it's good for him that he's here now. I can't wait to meet him."

Canada Soccer's surprise shuffle was an unexpected tactic. The men's program needs to be better than what it is. Canadians will be watching, and hoping the penny doesn't drop.

3 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

The players are at least professing to be open minded although it's not like they can or would say anything else. 

An e-mail is just as good as a letter of course.......and faster!

These are just standard boilerplate responses that any player would give. We could have dug up Yallop from the dead and heard the same responses.

Its funny how none of the majority of cdn national team players tweeted that Herdmann is a good fit or great coach, when he was announced on twitter or since.  Meanwhile, Chile announced there new national team coach, even after some press weren’t convinced he was the right fit for the team (He’s a Colombian coach with success as a national team manager for other countries) and all the players (Vidal, Sanchez, Medel, etc) tweeted they’d back him and him a shot.  Is that maybe a difference of players giving a vote of confidence using social media, or are the National team players here giving lip service, while not really endorsing him.  I honestly think he’ll quickly lose trust if he can’t even win friendlies or have at least a better Gold Cup than Zambrano.

Edited by nolbertos

17 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

This is a funny way of showing it:

Can everyone stop defending this decision, it is sickening. I am personally going to call for Reed to resign and plan to pressure so that Herdman is canned asap, it is intolerable.

This guy is a bad apple and I frankly don't want him anywhere near our program, what a lack of team ethics he has

You think those posts from Jeffrey some three weeks ago are an example of supporters poking fun at someone?

18 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

While some players, not all, might have concerns about being managed by a gaffer that hasn't played professional football, the reality is that it's 2018. It's all about 'Sunny Ways'. Equality, acceptance, and change are at the forefront of society, and in sport.

In otherwords, if some players have reservations, they must get over it, because this is 2018, where everything is equal and everyone is accepted. :P