Herdman new head coach

matty

He (Stamkos) was buoyed by former men’s national team head coach Octavio Zambrano telling him late last year that he planned to send out more scouts than ever before to identify more Canadian standouts. Zambrano was fired earlier this month, replaced by former women’s national team head coach John Herdman. Stamkos hopes the Englishman follows up on his predecessor’s promise.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2018/01/20/canada-shut-out-in-superdrafts-first-round-but-theres-talent-in-the-pipeline.html

42 minutes ago, masster said:
DVBWQKSL_normal.jpg Irfaan Gaffar (@sportsnetirf)
Marcel de Jong says John Herdman sent each player on #CanMNT a letter introducing himself and his philosophies. Says it was interesting to read. Added the change caught him off-guard and found out about it online.

Of course, if you realize you can't send them a video of how you coach men's soccer, you have to write a letter.

What do you call that when you have philosophies without experience?

1 hour ago, masster said:
DVBWQKSL_normal.jpg Irfaan Gaffar (@sportsnetirf)
Marcel de Jong says John Herdman sent each player on #CanMNT a letter introducing himself and his philosophies. Says it was interesting to read. Added the change caught him off-guard and found out about it online.

When De Jong says "each player," I wonder how many players in total received this letter?

43 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Of course, if you realize you can't send them a video of how you coach men's soccer, you have to write a letter.

What do you call that when you have philosophies without experience?

And what about those that are illiterate and post illiterate. No thought. He should be disappointed in himself. 

Yeah. I don't have a problem with a letter. I don't think he is teaching them set plays or trying to coach through his letter. A video would be cringeworthy and totally unneccesary for talking about his basic philosophies of football. 

The worry is the amount of time from now until he actually meets them face to face to follow up. While I am sure he will be making visits and meeting with senior players over the next little while we really need that opportunity to get everyone together soon. Probably once this has died down a bit more. 

Maybe we aren't giving him enough credit for his mystique. Maybe he literally sent a letter to each player. 

DeJong got E   for experience 

Alphonso got Y  for youth

Ocean got excited to get a letter until he realised it was R for retire. Damn CSA vendettas.

Honestly though I think follow up phone calls in the least is a necessity and more personal than a letter.

1 hour ago, L.MODRIC said:

who does Herdman bring into his coaching staff?

1.Paul Stalteri

who else?

Did he mention his coaching staff in am interview already? Someone mentioned findlay will be on board. 

Edit: Abdel the goalkeeping coach under Zambrano is now at LAFC. So expect a new/old face there. 

Edited by toontownman

19 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

When De Jong says "each player," I wonder how many players in total received this letter?

If it wasn't every single player in the pool, he's already potentially struck the first blow in the team harmony that I'm sure he'll want to be creating. Imagine if you are a player who hasn't received one of these letters but hears that others have done so......

I also wonder if it was personalized, or if it read "Dear Star/Regular/Fringe (Delete as Applicable) Member of the Canadian National Team....."

The thing that bugs me most about this whole development is that I can't convince myself to come around and cheer him on just because it is CMNT.  I get the whole idea that it is done, so we might as well get behind him, but it still feels so brutal on so many levels.  And part of me rails against that approach because it seems like letting him and the CSA off the hook so easily for what looks like a complete hatchet job - on multiple levels.  Yet I don't want to just perpetually bitch about it/him as that will be completely unhelpful.

I am genuinely conflicted about this.

14 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If it wasn't every single player in the pool, he's already potentially struck the first blow in the team harmony that I'm sure he'll want to be creating. Imagine if you are a player who hasn't received one of these letters but hears that others have done so......

I also wonder if it was personalized, or if it read "Dear Star/Regular/Fringe (Delete as Applicable) Member of the Canadian National Team....."

iStock-173943264.jpg