JPN 0-0-2 / 0-0-1
GER 0-0-1 / 1-0-3
ENG 1-0-1 / 2-0-5
BRA 1-0-1 / 3-5-3

TOTAL  2-2-8 / 5-7-25

No real difference.

Edited by Vic

19 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

I am a big fan of this aspect. I think the value of sports psychology is greatly underrated. And it seems crystal clear to me that we (MNT) have a psychological problem when playing away from home.

Totally agree with all three parts of your post.

Simple logic dictates that if we can be competitive with a number six ranked Colombia, a few years ago, that with a few intangibles going our way we may get better results.

How did Canada go from winning no gold medals at our own hosted Winter Olympics to being one of the top countries in the past two Olympics and forecasted to do well again this month.  We reallocated our resources, built upon our strengths and introduced programs like Own the Podium and the lesser known Top Secret program for Vancouver.  The Top Secret program involved many things, just one part of which are some of the things Herdman is trying to implement.

Because of his success with the women's program he might be trusted to be given the reins to resources that a newer, lesser known coach may not have ie more money

Just so people know we're I'm coming from, I have never said he's going to be a success and will lead us back to glory, but I have said he's done enough to earn that chance to try and prove it.

We tried a lot of different coaches and most have come up wanting, I do know trying the same approach won't work because we've tried them and they haven't.  If Herdman can bring something new to the table I'm all for giving him the chance to do so.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Except the right attitude at least gives you a puncher's chance rather than losing before the contest even begins.

Not sure if that means he does or his predecessor did, or even both for or against. I'm sure there are arguments for all four.  Was simply providing the mathematics behind the previous claim.

In the last 3 years, what percentage of total goals allowed by MNT have been in the first 10 or last 5 minutes of a half? Classic mental lapses majority of the time. Hostile environment or not. The age old cliche of paying a full 90 minutes comes down to mental / psychological fortitude at MNT level and several levels below for that matter. 

I do not have the time or energy to do the exact math for MNT or seek out stats and ratios for other countries but our propensity towards early / late goals allowed is much more psychological than tactical, environmental or fitness related. That much is clear from the stands, on the TV, highlights etc..  Access to consistent sports psychology services (PhD level for MNT level) is standard fare at most big professional clubs and NT's and have been for a decades now.  Anyone involved in high performance sport accepts and embraces this. 

As usual, the main barriers with MNT appear to be a mix of managers who don't quite accept / understand the importance (or believe conceitedly that experienced football coach = sports psych skill set...it does not by some distance) and budgetary constraint. If we don't have $$ to play in 1-2x  in every window then where does the funding come from for things like sport psych and sport science for that manner? Anything JH can integrate into MNT environment in those areas I'm sure would be welcomed by players and staff alike and subsequently supporters as the on pitch performance improves. If JH can spoon feed CSA brass how critical those aspects have been to WNT performance / success in general then fingers crossed. 

New to the board so apologies if this entire topic has been hashed over many times over before. 

12 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

In the last 3 years, what percentage of total goals allowed by MNT have been in the first 10 or last 5 minutes of a half? Classic mental lapses majority of the time. Hostile environment or not. The age old cliche of paying a full 90 minutes comes down to mental / psychological fortitude at MNT level and several levels below for that matter.

Totally agree with this.  Was it Mike Tyson who said everything changes when someone gets punched in the face.  One goal, and its timing, can change everything.  It used to drive me nuts when people here used to deride Ali Gerba who seemed to be the only guy who could consistently score.  I could care less if he looks like Fatty Arbuckle if that one goal a game can change the whole complexion of the match.

14 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

In the last 3 years, what percentage of total goals allowed by MNT have been in the first 10 or last 5 minutes of a half?

OK, you got me curious, and I did it. Here are the percentages of goals conceded by Canada, Mexico, and USA in the first 10 minutes, or last 5 minutes of a half in 2015 through 2017. I did not include goals conceded in overtime (but of course I am including goals conceded in injury time).

Canada - 45.45%
Mexico - 47.46%
USA - 37.93%

A note that USA's number was hovering around the same levels as Mexico and Canada for a bit. I didn't take note of when the sharp decline began, but would estimate it was a year ago or so.

Also, for those curious, the Canada numbers break out to be 42.3% before Zambrano (26 goals conceded), and 57.14% under Zambrano (7 goals conceded).

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

"That being said, should we be giving credit to John Herdman or Canada's and arguably one of the world's best players during all his success, Christine Sinclair? Taking it from that angle and looking at that track record, I would say Sinclair could be more qualified, by the fact she's Canadian, to coach the Men's National Team than Herdman is."

That part that I bolded has me wondering if I should bother reading the rest of this article. I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous conclusion to jump to. Good soccer player + Canadian > Coaching experience.

Maybe Sinclair will be a great coach someday, but she is not more qualified than Herdman right now.

Edited by Kent
Missed a word.

It's not a very good or well-written article. The sentence before the one you quoted - about Herdman having proved that he can win in "hostile environments" - is just as bad IMO and his argument that Hoilett, Arfield, Larin, & Borjan shouldn't have been chosen for the 2017 Gold Cup is even worse. And I'm not sure why the author is suggesting that Canada are the favourites and expected to win against NZ, especially as the players will presumably now be having to learn a whole new set of tactics under a new coach (whoever the players are that do get called) for the first time.

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

"It is as much about the development of players like Alphonso Davies, Liam Millar, Liam Fraser, Julian Dunn, Noble Okello, Jonathan David, and Adonijah Reid."

His success or lack there of will hinge upon young guys coming good, being bona fide contributors at a decent club level and transferring this to the NT.

Not having Findlay isn't a big deal, imo.  He should be able to translate his CV into another gig, either as a pro assistant or the college game north and south of the border.

Having a liaison on Herdman's coaching staff to monitor specifically the club progress of someone like Alphonso Davies might be more valuable.  Perhaps Herdman sees himself as doing that particular task?

CPL teams should be calling Findlay, but I wish the CSA would keep him for Youth Teams or add him as a pro scout. 

The CSA/men’s program needs a scouting department. Canada basketball had the same problem years ago, they would lose track of players and there would be a huge disconnect between CB and players, But know that’s changed just look at the  results. CSA needs to start scouting and be in constant contact with players and give them support, make them feel wanted. Maybe we can get a few steals. 

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It seems like Michael Findlay is out. This looks like it could be a good move. 

Why do you say that? Almost everyone had positive things about Findlay as one of the best coaches on the CSA payroll. When a new coach comes who's qualifications and experience seem somewhat suspect, I view it as a bad sign when they get rid of good current staff members.

Edited by Grizzly

26 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I'm going to wait and see who replaces Findlay. If it's some no-name yes-man then i'll lose it. If it's a highly qualified asst. then props are in order.

You should start losing it. The CSA staff are all yes men! Most liking it will a former player with little coaching  experience. They come cheap.