General discussion on CWNT

Rheo

On 9/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Nice to see how we are bringing in younger generations and getting them used to full senior camps. Had to look a few players up, Awujo, Larisey, Yekka, Burns. 

I don't remember Awujo or Larisey, but I remember Sura Yekka and Zoe Burns. I think they did well in youth games I saw them in.

Hellstrom is first Canadian player to comment on NWSL Yates report. She left for Europe from Washington due to the abusive behaviour of coach Burke.

Burke was fired last September but still in denial stage. Team was sold to minority owner Kang after a power struggle with majority owner Baldwin 

Baldwin purchased the team in 2019, faced widespread criticism within the Spirit’s fanbase for any number of things, from partnerships with potentially problematic organizations to the hiring of multiple employees with troubling histories to misogyny and the poor handling of the pandemic.

@narduch thanks for the update.

We jumped ahead of the Netherlands but Spain leapfrogged us by drawing Sweden 1-1 and beating the USA 2-0.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20221013

Spain are only ahead of us by 0.43 of a point.

Now we pray we get New Zealand in the WWC draw I guess!

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@narduch thanks for thr update.

We jumped ahead of the Netherlands but Spain leapfrogged us by drawing Sweden 1-1 and beating the USA 2-0.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women?dateId=ranking_20221013

Spain are only ahead of us by 0.43 of a point.

Now we pray we get New Zealand in the WWC draw I guess!

From a personal point of view, Groups F or H will see our girls play one group game and a potential Round of 16 match in Melbourne. That's what I want.

US women's soccer site Equalizer picked best of the NWSL for 2022.

Best Keeper

1. Kailen Sheridan (San Diego Wave)
Since moving from Gotham to San Diego, Sheridan has had a little less goalkeeping to do, but that hasn’t prevented her from standing out. Her reactions have been on point, leading to multiple jaw-dropping saves beneath a more proactive defensive line. Incredibly, she’s stopped three penalty kicks – half of the total she faced in the regular season.

On top of those critical moments, the 27-year-old’s distribution has been fundamental to San Diego’s style of play, her willingness to receive well off her line and long-range passing initiating attacks. The team’s head coach, Casey Stoney, described Sheridan as “the best goalkeeper in the world.” After yet another exceptional campaign, it’s a viewpoint many outside of the Wave may agree with.

Defensive Mids

4. Desiree Scott (Kansas City Current)
Scott was integral to Kansas City during their surprise run to a playoff berth, particularly given the injury-enforced absence of Sam Mewis. Captaining the side, she screened the defense with good positioning and physicality, underpinning the team’s player-to-player marking setup in midfield and ensuring opponents didn’t get a free run at the back line. On top of all that, she found a teammate with over 80 percent of her passes, per Wyscout data.

5. Quinn (OL Reign)
Quinn continues to go from strength to strength. This year, they further established themselves as OL Reign’s key pivot, showcasing sound defensive positioning, robustness in duels, and a wonderful range of passing to kick-start attacks. Their ability on and off the ball has brought stability to midfield, enabling the likes of Jess Fishlock and Rose Lavelle to play with greater freedom. “Every time Quinn touches the field, you know what you’re going to get from them,” said head coach Laura Harvey. “They’ve just been very, very consistent.”

https://equalizersoccer.com/2022/10/13/best-nwsl-players-of-2022-top-5-goalkeepers/

https://equalizersoccer.com/2022/10/14/best-nwsl-players-of-2022-top-5-defensive-midfielders/

• 2 weeks later...

Canada squad released for Brasil friendlies.

Beckie is taking time off after playing 15 months straight. Gilles left off due to fitness. NCAA players are in playoffs. Riviere & Rose are still injured but they're expecting Riviere for February. Chapman has a knock.

So, u17 players Ottey, Allen & 15 yr old Chukwu are invited. Priestman said Ottey & Allen were on her radar for long term potential and high ceilings. Ottey being a left-footed FB is rarity within Canada's player pool. Chukwu shows huge potential. Sinclair is listed as MF.

8 from NWSL, 4 from England, 3 each from France, Sweden & NDC-ON, 2 from Portugal and 1 each from Italy & Scotland.

Planning to play a tourney in February and play a home match in April. Priestman has now called in 50 players with 38 getting caps during her tenure.

GOALKEEPERS

Sabrina D'Angelo, Vittsjo GIK (Sweden)
Lysianne Proulx, SCU Torreense (Portugal)
Kailen Sheridan, San Diego Wave (NWSL)

DEFENDERS

Kadeisha Buchanan, Chelsea (England)
Gabrielle Carle, Kristianstads DFF (Sweden)
Ashley Lawrence, Paris Saint-Germain (France)
Marie Levasseur, Fleury FC (France)
Ella Ottey, National Development Centre Ontario
Bianca St-Georges, Chicago Red Stars (NWSL)
Sura Yekka, Le Havre AC (France)
Shelina Zadorsky, Tottenham (England).

MIDFIELDERS

Jessie Fleming, Chelsea (England)
Julia Grosso, Juventus (Italy)
Quinn, OL Reign (NWSL)
Sophie Schmidt, Houston Dash (NWSL)
Desiree Scott, Kansas City Current (NWSL)
Christine Sinclair (capt.), Portland Thorns (NWSL)

FORWARDS

Amanda Allen, National Development Centre Ontario
Annabelle Chukwu, National Development Centre Ontario
Jordyn Huitema, OL Reign (NWSL)
Cloe Lacasse, SL Benfica (Portugal)
Clarissa Larisey, Glasgow Celtic (Scotland)
Adriana Leon, Manchester United (England)
Nichelle Prince, Houston Dash (NWSL)
Evelyne Viens, Kristianstads DFF (Sweden)

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-announces-squad-for-november-international-matches-against-brazil/

Edited by red card

On 10/31/2022 at 7:33 PM, red card said:

Canada squad released for Brasil friendlies.

Beckie is taking time off after playing 15 months straight. Gilles left off due to fitness. NCAA players are in playoffs. Riviere & Rose are still injured but they're expecting Riviere for February. Chapman has a knock.

So, u17 players Ottey, Allen & 15 yr old Chukwu are invited. Priestman said Ottey & Allen were on her radar for long term potential and high ceilings. Ottey being a left-footed FB is rarity within Canada's player pool. Chukwu shows huge potential. Sinclair is listed as MF.

8 from NWSL, 4 from England, 3 each from France, Sweden & NDC-ON, 2 from Portugal and 1 each from Italy & Scotland.

Planning to play a tourney in February and play a home match in April. Priestman has now called in 50 players with 38 getting caps during her tenure.

GOALKEEPERS

Sabrina D'Angelo, Vittsjo GIK (Sweden)
Lysianne Proulx, SCU Torreense (Portugal)
Kailen Sheridan, San Diego Wave (NWSL)

DEFENDERS

Kadeisha Buchanan, Chelsea (England)
Gabrielle Carle, Kristianstads DFF (Sweden)
Ashley Lawrence, Paris Saint-Germain (France)
Marie Levasseur, Fleury FC (France)
Ella Ottey, National Development Centre Ontario
Bianca St-Georges, Chicago Red Stars (NWSL)
Sura Yekka, Le Havre AC (France)
Shelina Zadorsky, Tottenham (England).

MIDFIELDERS

Jessie Fleming, Chelsea (England)
Julia Grosso, Juventus (Italy)
Quinn, OL Reign (NWSL)
Sophie Schmidt, Houston Dash (NWSL)
Desiree Scott, Kansas City Current (NWSL)
Christine Sinclair (capt.), Portland Thorns (NWSL)

FORWARDS

Amanda Allen, National Development Centre Ontario
Annabelle Chukwu, National Development Centre Ontario
Jordyn Huitema, OL Reign (NWSL)
Cloe Lacasse, SL Benfica (Portugal)
Clarissa Larisey, Glasgow Celtic (Scotland)
Adriana Leon, Manchester United (England)
Nichelle Prince, Houston Dash (NWSL)
Evelyne Viens, Kristianstads DFF (Sweden)

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-announces-squad-for-november-international-matches-against-brazil/

CanWNT coming to play in my home town, cannot wait for this!!!

• 4 weeks later...

There are articles on this at the mainstream sports sites.  Apparently, the player asked Wilkinson to resign after she was cleared (it didn't go beyond some texting).  I'm guessing that it would have gotten awkward in the locker room after that if they both stayed.  Well, at least she gets to walk away with a league championship added to her resume.

10 hours ago, red card said:

Canada jumps 1 spot to #6. Just a bit late to be put into pot 1 for WWC 23.

So Spain went ahead of Canada drawing Sweden and beating the US, then closed out the year beating Argentina 7-0 and Japan 1-0, and slipped a spot?

While Canada, who had beat Argentina and Morocco just before, then beat Brazil and then lost to Brazil and is now ahead of them? 

I don't get these rankings.

@Unnamed Trialist and @Olympique_de_Marseille

I'm not totally sure what happened either, but I did a bit of digging to try to get some clarity. My first thought was that they might be using a system like the old men's system, where you could drop points because results from the past got devalued. But what I have found seems to be saying it is an ELO system like the men's rankings.

One thing I did find that is different from the men's though is that the women's formula DOES take home/away into account. Spain's wins since the last rankings came out were at home, while Canada's win and loss to Brazil were both in Brazil.