General discussion on CWNT

Rheo

• 3 months later...

everyone here should read this article if you haven’t already. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-soccer-fined-for-england-trip-1.4625265

a U12 girls team from ottawa went to England to play some games, now they are being fined because they broke Ontario soccer rules. 

I can’t believe shit like this happens! A team/club gets fined for taking kids to Europe to experience European football. Is Ontario Soccer Stupid ? 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

everyone here should read this article if you haven’t already. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-soccer-fined-for-england-trip-1.4625265

a U12 girls team from ottawa went to England to play some games, now they are being fined because they broke Ontario soccer rules. 

I can’t believe shit like this happens! A team/club gets fined for taking kids to Europe to experience European football. Is Ontario Soccer Stupid ? 

@SpecialK, you have made this same post in the MNT forum. If people start posting the same thing in multiple forums, resulting in multiple threads discussing the same thing, this message board will quickly turn into a disaster.

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

What about kids who can't afford a trip to Europe?  Are they not allowed to play on the team?  Do we end up with a league for rich kids?

I assume they can play on the team but will miss out on the trip to Europe. I don't see why those who can afford the trip should be shackled by those who cannot.

It looks like I wasn't clear in my earlier post.  You need enough players to make up a team if you want to play on the trip.  So, you need to have a team mostly made up of players who can afford the trip.  If the trip is in the works for a while, do you ensure it by not accepting players on the team who can't afford to go?  If it is just a few who can't afford to go, they're going to feel pretty shitty about being left behind and not really part of the team.  Either way, poor players are being excluded because of an unnecessary perk.

I don't really know why the youth sports experts instituted the rule banning travel outside the continent, so I can only guess.  It would have been nice if the article reported on that.

Families of kids from $100k+ households are more than two times likely to participate in team sports.

Kids in the bottom 25% of society are barred from playing at the highest club level. Unless they have 2-3 times the talent of upper and upper-middle class kids who can afford the enormous cost. If that is the case their costs will be covered (but not by the club - by other parents on the team unknowingly).  That's not unique to soccer either.  It's called economic cannibalism.

I have seen 8 year-old's training seven days a week and in military style discipline.  Young children should be playing for fun in safe environments without stress and not be subject to the twisted intensity of ultra-competitive adults who will do anything to get an edge. Look at those kids at count the number happy and smiling!!

I'm often not a fan of regulation or OSA restrictions, but I am very proud there are people protecting young boys and girls and letting them be kids. Hopefully this time ten years from now there is economic protection as well.

22 hours ago, rkomar said:

It looks like I wasn't clear in my earlier post.  You need enough players to make up a team if you want to play on the trip.  So, you need to have a team mostly made up of players who can afford the trip.  If the trip is in the works for a while, do you ensure it by not accepting players on the team who can't afford to go?  If it is just a few who can't afford to go, they're going to feel pretty shitty about being left behind and not really part of the team.  Either way, poor players are being excluded because of an unnecessary perk.

I don't really know why the youth sports experts instituted the rule banning travel outside the continent, so I can only guess.  It would have been nice if the article reported on that.

I am making assumptions here but I really don't see a team rejecting players because their parents are too poor. I don't even know how they would go about doing this even if they wanted to.

If some kids can't go on the trip then the numbers are presumably made up with "guest" players from other teams.

As I said, just assumptions, but I really don't see the problem here. If a team wants to take a trip to Europe, go for it! I don't see how that harms anybody. I can see your point about kids who can't go being disappointed but it seems wrong to shackle everybody else just to prevent that. Kids are pretty resilient anyway.

Edited by dsqpr

16 hours ago, dsqpr said:

(a) I am making assumptions here but I really don't see a team rejecting players because their parents are too poor.

(b) As I said, just assumptions, but I really don't see the problem here. If a team wants to take a trip to Europe, go for it! I don't see how that harms anybody. I can see your point about kids who can't go being disappointed but it seems wrong to shackle everybody else just to prevent that. Kids are pretty resilient anyway.

(a) Kids and their families are well aware of the cost of the programs. Kids who cannot afford it are not on the teams in the first place. This overseas trip likely includes a parent because who in their right mind would let their 11 year-old daughter travel alone that far away with unknown people all around. Throw in those travel costs x 2, the cost of their daughter's program - registration fees, skill development programs, fitness, uniforms, tracksuits, training gear, backpacks, tournaments and necessary hotels/gas and meals, coaches fees, coaches hotel rooms, the cost of gas and time commuting all year around the city... what do you think the cost is this year? How about if you have twin daughters? Or a family of five?

(b) Kudos for never having seen the heart of darkness in youth sports. May you live long and never have to. Youth sports can be a fantastic beautiful thing. But for every saint there is a demon. And for every beauty there is a sickness and disease many adults bring to youth sports.  These kids are too young to be cranked and around hyper-competitive intensity. Wait until they are old enough to decide for themselves. Again, high regards and praise to whoever had the foresight to attempt to ensure healthy perspective.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Next FIFA Dates with RedBlacks and Fury matches: 

August 27 to September 4
Fury play on the 25th RedBlacks play on the 31st. Guessing that if it happens it would be on the 2nd or the 4th in Ottawa. (4th would also allow a second match maybe on the 2nd in Toronto since CSA  needs to play a match at BMO, but I'm guessing that they'll do that in November window)

I looked at other FIFA dates, but they're either really just before WCQ so I don't see us playing a friendly before those matches or during the World Cup playoffs and while I fully expect us to qualify directly, I don't think that CSA would announce that they're playing a friendly during a potential WCQ match.

Edited by Blackdude

-The opponent won't be France (they are playing Mexico at home)

-The other UEFA teams play WCQS.

-We played Brazil in Ottawa last time and Chile is playing two games vs the USA

-Argentina made the CONMEBOL vs CONCACAF playoff spot; they may be looking for a friendly.

-AFC teams are free and Sophie Schmidt spoke of a friendly vs Australia.

• 4 years later...

I knew the English FA banned women's football for 50 years but it was only a few months ago that I learned Canada was part of the story. 100 years ago on September 5, 1922, the Dominion Football Association passed a motion opposing women playing football and not to allow any club to play against a touring English women's team.

The Star article written by a Carleton assoc prof uses the word "ban" here & there but from what I read elsewhere, it was more of a soft ban in Canada.

Edited by red card

• 3 weeks later...

EA FIFA has its first ever ratings for women players. 

Canadians in top 100 are Lawrence (#23), Buchanan (#43), Schmidt (#59), Sinclair (#59), Scott (#89), Sheridan (#89) & Gilles (#89). Then followed by D Rose, Fleming & Zadorsky all rated 80 or higher.

Putellas is top player. Only France has 2 players in the top 10 (Renard & Katoto).

https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/fifa/fifa-23/womens-ratings

Edited by red card

Squad released for international window matches vs Morocco & Argentina.

D Rose, Gilles, Riviere & Carle are injured. Viens, Buchanan, Chapman & Lawrence are back.

Release doesn't mention any match broadcast coverage - hopefully, it's because it isn't finalized yet.

Edited by red card