General discussion on CWNT

Rheo

LeBlanc becomes second soccer player to be appointed to the Order of Canada. Sinclair was appointed in 2017. 

Other Canadians appointed for their contributions in soccer/sport were Dr. Andrew Pipe as well as the late Sam Donaghey, Steve Stavro and Fred Tessier. Other Canadian soccer people appointed to the Order of Canada include Charmaine Crooks (athletics), Frank Iacobucci (education, law, jurisprudence), Doug Knott (agriculture), Basil Robinson (foreign affairs), and Stan Stronge (disabled sports).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccers-womens-national-team-announces-pre-camp-squad-ahead-of-the-shebelieves-cup/

Pre-tournament training squad for the SheBelieves Cup.

What does it say about Jenna Hellstrom and Lysianne Proulx that their clubs let them attend this despite both being currently in season? 🤨

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beckie is out of the World Cup. She isn't a regular starter at club level because her play is inconsistent but she is Canada's most technically skilled player. 

Better news is that Deanne Rose is back training & Riviere is expected to join the full Man United squad next week.

Edited by red card

Hi everyone.  Just wanted to pass on a message I got from Janine Beckie to pass onto the group.  I know a number of us had wished her well on the recovery from the ACL injury.

———————-

Hi Voyageurs! 

Thank you so so much for the message. Very touching coming from you all, I appreciate everything you do for our country and I will be so sad not to be on the pitch hearing you all for some time. 

Again, thank you so much for the kind words, means a lot to me. 

Please pass on my regards to the whole group. 

Take care,
Janine 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Hi everyone.  Just wanted to pass on a message I got from Janine Beckie to pass onto the group.  I know a number of us had wished her well on the recovery from the ACL injury.

———————-

Hi Voyageurs! 

Thank you so so much for the message. Very touching coming from you all, I appreciate everything you do for our country and I will be so sad not to be on the pitch hearing you all for some time. 

Again, thank you so much for the kind words, means a lot to me. 

Please pass on my regards to the whole group. 

Take care,
Janine 

@JamboAl , Can you pass along to her that given her unfortunate injury, we hope to see her again on TV, covering the World Cup in Australia this time instead of Qatar.

I thought she was great on panel.

35 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

@JamboAl , Can you pass along to her that given her unfortunate injury, we hope to see her again on TV, covering the World Cup in Australia this time instead of Qatar.

I thought she was great on panel.

I’m sure more than a few hundred people have already raised that with her.  At the end of the day, it’s up to her and TSN to make that call because  unlike in Qatar, she’s still a member of this team and might be more guarded in her thoughts.  She may even have a Doneil Henry-type staff role over in Australia.

Priestman notes from her presser:

- Allen headed to u20 camp afterwards

- The FB position has highest competition. The winger position is open because of injury questions. The MF looks light, but Sinc, J. Rose, and some of the FBs can play in MF."

- June friendly: "I don't think that's going to happen. It's not likely with the NWSL schedule. The window to have a home game was probably the April window." NWSL will allow players to be released June 26th - a bit ahead of FIFA window. The Canadian squad will then head to Australia where it hopes to hold two closed-door matches ahead of the tournament.

- With injuries, whether it's Clarissa or Amanda. Clarissa needs to sustain her pace at our level. That's her challenge. She has a lot to offer; it's there for the taking.

- Injury updates: - Nichelle will be tight. Deanne isn't ready yet, and that will be tight. Desi will also be close to a WC.

-  I've only called in players that I think can make that pitch. Collins was so close to making the SBC roster. She straight-away impressed me with her athleticism. She can do CB, FB—pace, technical ability.

- We purposely targeted a one-game window, where we will rehearse a true Women’s World Cup lead-in and the associated processes

- Beckie will travel to Florida to have her surgery and will be out long term, and Priestman felt so bad she even looked at options to bring her to Australia as a leader and technical staff.

- Budget cuts have been shelved. Priestman submitted new budget and now has resources to prep for World Cup from flights to hotels to the number of staff (note FIFA announced last week costs of 50 people of the delegation will be funded, business travel & single rooms that is on par with Qatar)

Edited by red card

Champions League, Chelsea go through to semis against Barça after extra periods, late heroics and penalties.

Gilles scored first for Lyon. That was enough for extra periods after the 0-1 first leg.

Kadeisha played the whole match.

Lyon got another and Fleming came on m 111. Then Chelsea scored a penalty deep into stoppage, m. 128.

In the penalties Fleming scored the third, Lyon missed their 5th.

I prefer Chelsea as a Barça fan, Lyon is such a juggernaut. I also like Fleming, she's a slightly lesser version than Bonmatí, bit similar build, looks, style. I suspect we'll play our leg in Camp Nou and I'd expect over 70,000.