CPL TV Contract

2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

As long as the first tier is capped at 16 Teams then start div II

I get that, but I am still skeptical that in 7 years we will have enough teams to fill out a 16-team first division, and 8 more cities interested in joining a D2 CPL.  That pace of growth would require absolutely everything in CPL to go like clockwork and the public to get crazy excited about the league right away and right across the country.

On 8/23/2018 at 5:48 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Expected to grow to 24 clubs by 2026?  That seems pretty ambitious.  Not that there is anything wrong with ambition but that seems like a lot.

It's a bizarre statement as was the communities as small as 100,000 angle. Have to wonder if it was inspired in some way by USL D3 claiming they will have 24 by 2021 in communities ranging from 150,000 to 1,000,000.

You know part of me has thought that being on TV domestically was a must for the league. But part of me also thinks what if the combination of the quality of the video production, stadiums and level of play is so shit in the first few years that it actually hurt the perception of the league...

Maybe not being on TV in front of the masses wouldn't be such a bad thing at first?...

So yeah basically if DAZN offers like even $10 for the rights they should take it

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, is DAZN $150 each year (for an annual subscription) or is that just the introductory price for the first year?  If CPL goes that route, I will have to sign up.

I've split it with someone too :), you get two log-ins.

DAZN also has Chromecast, Roku, Firestick, Apple and Smart TV tech.  So even numpties can replicate the TV like experience with it.

Edited by zeelaw

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

So yeah basically if DAZN offers like even $10 for the rights they should take it

Thing is, even for $10 it might not be worth it to DAZN.  In the case of the CPL, they'd almost certainly have to worry about all the production costs, as opposed to simply streaming the feed from another broadcaster.  That would would add a significant cost to them, and and I can't see the CPL being worth it to them.  The number of people who would sign up for it exclusively because of the CPL can't be that high (as opposed to the people who sign up for Champions League or NFL but would also watch the CPL).  I think if the CPL ends up on tv in the early years, people should be prepared for them having to pay to be there (which isn't uncommon for new leagues).

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Thing is, even for $10 it might not be worth it to DAZN.  In the case of the CPL, they'd almost certainly have to worry about all the production costs, as opposed to simply streaming the feed from another broadcaster.  That would would add a significant cost to them, and and I can't see the CPL being worth it to them.  The number of people who would sign up for it exclusively because of the CPL can't be that high (as opposed to the people who sign up for Champions League or NFL but would also watch the CPL).  I think if the CPL ends up on tv in the early years, people should be prepared for them having to pay to be there (which isn't uncommon for new leagues).

For a comparison, NASL's drive to get on National TV with CBS Sports and beIN Sports cost each club 600K per year. They needed to go to 7 camera HD broadcasts which were a requirement.

Virtually all NASL clubs had local TV deals as well which helped.

CPL has to present a D1 first class image for its broadcasts which will cost clubs $ but will pay off in the longrun, hopefully they can get some $ for rights deal year 1 to help with costs.

Poorly presented broadcasting will doom the league so CPL needs to get it right year 1.

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

You realize DAZN has picked up the Canadian Premier...T20 cricket...league?

How many people were signing up solely for that?

48 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

You realize DAZN has picked up the Canadian Premier...T20 cricket...league?

How many people were signing up solely for that?

A Canadian Premier cricket league?  No clue.  Can't find anything about it.  I do see that they've recently acquired a bunch of cricket leagues for broadcast.  But the difference there is that they would just be picking up another companies feed, and costs to actually broadcast it would be borne by someone else.  That's my point with the CPL, that they'd likely have to cover the cost of broadcasting it.  And that's where it gets in to the problem of how many additional people would be signing up solely for that.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

A Canadian Premier cricket league?  No clue.  Can't find anything about it.  I do see that they've recently acquired a bunch of cricket leagues for broadcast.  But the difference there is that they would just be picking up another companies feed, and costs to actually broadcast it would be borne by someone else.  That's my point with the CPL, that they'd likely have to cover the cost of broadcasting it.  And that's where it gets in to the problem of how many additional people would be signing up solely for that.

I think it's actually the Caribbean premier cricket league

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a way to make CSB actually worth something significant, which wasn't going to happen any time soon by only handling the Canadian soccer related properties they were provided by the CSA (different story towards the end of the deal assuming the World Cup co-hosting results in automatic CMNT qualification obviously), and also a way to use an existing operation in other sports to avoid making the self-production of streams a net drain on finances. Suggests Bob Young is willing to be a Phil Anshutz type figure in all of this.

The list of clients is worth a look:

http://stadiumdigital.com/about-us/

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard