CPL TV Contract

10 minutes ago, matty said:

Because it's 20 plus years until streaming is anywhere near dominant. 98.8% is not tiny. You're unlikely to grow with streaming at this stage or generate the money needed to justify spending millions a year.

You mention the younger audience but they don't watch sports man. Even soccer the vast majority of the fanbase is 35+. Hell the u35 prefer TV watching for sports too.

If you're offered free TV, it'll do more than streaming would do for decades.

The problem those are not popular on a mass scale that's needed to help the league make money and grow.

A paid sub would be very bad for eyeballs but your second point is right the only issue as I've said before is beIN is so fucking limited and costly that Random Guy A will not follow CPL as a result and DAZN's launch was so fucked it might have stunted it's growth.

Hey, you know that if you have cable with Rogers or Bell or Cogeco or whoever and have TSN or Sportsnet, that you automatically get access to TSN GO and SN Now through your Rogers/Bell online account, right?

It's my little secret that all my friends just absolutely love when I tell them about it and show it to them on my iPhone or Galaxy tablet. Some of my buddies use their parent's account instead.

With that in mind, what's your preferred option for streaming for CPL? Free on Youtube? A free CPL Live? DAZN? Something else?

Edited by ironcub14

7 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey, you know that if you have cable with Rogers or Bell or Cogeco or whoever and have TSN or Sportsnet, that you automatically get access to TSN GO and SN Now through your Rogers/Bell online account, right?

It's my little secret that all my friends just absolutely love when I tell them about it and show it to them on my iPhone or Galaxy tablet. Some of my buddies use their parent's account instead.

With that in mind, what's your preferred option for streaming for CPL? Free on Youtube? A free CPL Live? DAZN? Something else?

Yea I do. I use TSN Go sometimes

You don't address any points and ignore what I've said about how limited streaming reach is but instead said you psychically have to show people it. That's not something useful when it's exclusively on fans to grow it.

I do think the best option is to get on one of those if you can't get any TV but you better be looking for TV asap

34 minutes ago, matty said:

Yea I do. I use TSN Go sometimes

You don't address any points and ignore what I've said about how limited streaming reach is but instead said you psychically have to show people it. That's not something useful when it's exclusively on fans to grow it.

I do think the best option is to get on one of those if you can't get any TV but you better be looking for TV asap

Hey, I just quoted the whole thing cuz I'm lazy, but if you look back at your post, more than half of it was for BBTB, not for me. I agree with most of the stuff you're saying here, lol.

The thing is, it's on TSN and Sportsnet to better raise awareness of the fact that their online services are available at no extra charge for cable subscribers. Nobody ever told me that, I had to just go into the app and try it out myself in the beginning.

Except for Youtube and DAZN, I can't think of a popular legal streaming option for sports. I don't think Youtube is the way to go. I think DAZN is, despite the NFL hiccups. I still think TSN GO and SN Now is just as key and good as DAZN. A CPL Live is a given, and is separate to all of the stuff above.

28 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Hey, I just quoted the whole thing cuz I'm lazy, but if you look back at your post, more than half of it was for BBTB, not for me. I agree with most of the stuff you're saying here, lol.

The thing is, it's on TSN and Sportsnet to better raise awareness of the fact that their online services are available at no extra charge for cable subscribers. Nobody ever told me that, I had to just go into the app and try it out myself in the beginning.

Except for Youtube and DAZN, I can't think of a popular legal streaming option for sports. I don't think Youtube is the way to go. I think DAZN is, despite the NFL hiccups. I still think TSN GO and SN Now is just as key and good as DAZN. A CPL Live is a given, and is separate to all of the stuff above.

True say

I first heard about TSN Go here of all places. In comparison I heard about the CBC app from every fucking CBC subway ad and billboard. If the CPL goes that route I hope to hell that they get TSN Go actually promoted.

Streaming services are not yet mainstream, DAZN has potential but that hiccup was a massive hiccup that might have set them back a few years. The problem is production costs which no matter what will be at least 20k game (and that's for shiteo) and you gotta find a way to make that cost worth it when you're 2k under needed attendance.

7 minutes ago, Soefeia said:

IMG_3378.JPG

giphy.gif

these boards need more elisabeth moss

2 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I know that getting visibility for the league is important, but if you act like your league isn't worth paying for, people will treat it accordingly.  If the CPL intends to present itself as a premier product, then it needs to have a subscription as part of a streaming service.

The problem is if they do it themselves (with no traditional outlet to support with like a game of the week) they limit themselves to essentially us and that wouldn't work. They need someone else

Edited by matty

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Necroing a slightly older thread.  Here is the message I sent to CBC today (via multiple channels):

Dear CBC,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXX  and I have been an avid soccer/footy fan for decades. I am also a strong supporter of CBC as our national broadcaster. From televised news and sports, to CBC Radio (one and two), to a strong online web presence (website and dedicated apps), I utilize all CBC platforms and believe that the CBC provides an extremely high quality service that offer excellent value for money to all Canadians.

With this in mind, I am writing to encourage you to explore the idea of broadcasting games for the emerging Canadian Premier League (soccer). The CPL will be Canada’s first coast to coast domestic soccer league of the modern era, and next year it will launched its inaugural season in major media markets spanning from BC to Atlantic Canada.

This is an extremely exciting development for the Canadian soccer community. CPL will be a truly Canadian league – for Canadians, by Canadians, and showcasing and developing Canadian talent. In light of this, the possibilities of a broadcasting arrangement with the CBC are significant, and there are many factors that would support it. Specifically:

• CBC is similarly national in scope. With coast to coast to coast saturation, CBC could provide fully national access to a league that is seeking to serve all Canadians.
• Given this scope, and the existence of localized CBC broadcasting teams, CBC could provide strong local coverage within local markets. This league will be driven in large part by strong local interests; the ability to provide localized coverage of teams on regional channels would be a great angle to drive local interest in your programming.
• Because CBC is available to all Canadians and not subscription based, access would be universal and would not represent a barrier to viewers on the basis of location or economic status.
• While CBC has a long history of quality sports broadcasting (both amateur and professional), there is currently a significant lack of soccer content within your suite of sports broadcasting. CPL is the ideal league to get back into this broadcasting space, as it would be less expensive than other league rights yet uniquely Canadian.
• Tied to this, there is a huge appetite for soccer content in Canada. Whether shown by the record-breaking numbers achieved during CBC’s coverage of the 2014 World Cup, the strong ratings posted for the recent World Cup in Russia (despite inconvenient broadcast times), the significant viewership that regularly supports our national women’s team, or the strong ratings consistently posted for other professional soccer leagues on the dedicated sports networks, soccer’s rise in popularity is indisputable. The audience for this product is out there.
• In an era where high quality streaming options are emerging to reflect consumer shifts, your experience providing excellent streaming coverage of sports events such as the Olympics demonstrate your capacity in this area.
• Finally, by “getting in on the ground floor” and supporting the league at the outset, CBC would have the opportunity to not only help grow the league, but could also secure a long term arrangement for cost-effective soccer programming with a large potential for growth in popularity. This is a league with plans and ambition. CBC’s broadcasting support at the outset could prove to be an excellent business decision as the league’s popularity grows.

CBC’s mandate includes promotion of Canadian culture – which includes sport. CBC seeks to reflect and promote the cultural diversity of Canada – in a context where soccer (aka “football”) is the world’s most popular sport, and the one which has the most registered youth players in Canada. In short, soccer is now a truly Canadian game. In light of this, I strongly urge you to explore the idea of partnering with CPL at this exciting time, to provide high quality access to this league for all Canadians.

It is possible that league officials have already reached out to explore the possibility of a broadcasting partnership. If not, I would encourage you to reach out to them. The website for this emerging league, including contact information for league officials, can be found here: www.canpl.ca

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Necroing a slightly older thread.  Here is the message I sent to CBC today (via multiple channels):

Dear CBC,

My name is XXXXXXXXXXX  and I have been an avid soccer/footy fan for decades. I am also a strong supporter of CBC as our national broadcaster. From televised news and sports, to CBC Radio (one and two), to a strong online web presence (website and dedicated apps), I utilize all CBC platforms and believe that the CBC provides an extremely high quality service that offer excellent value for money to all Canadians.

With this in mind, I am writing to encourage you to explore the idea of broadcasting games for the emerging Canadian Premier League (soccer). The CPL will be Canada’s first coast to coast domestic soccer league of the modern era, and next year it will launched its inaugural season in major media markets spanning from BC to Atlantic Canada.

This is an extremely exciting development for the Canadian soccer community. CPL will be a truly Canadian league – for Canadians, by Canadians, and showcasing and developing Canadian talent. In light of this, the possibilities of a broadcasting arrangement with the CBC are significant, and there are many factors that would support it. Specifically:

• CBC is similarly national in scope. With coast to coast to coast saturation, CBC could provide fully national access to a league that is seeking to serve all Canadians.
• Given this scope, and the existence of localized CBC broadcasting teams, CBC could provide strong local coverage within local markets. This league will be driven in large part by strong local interests; the ability to provide localized coverage of teams on regional channels would be a great angle to drive local interest in your programming.
• Because CBC is available to all Canadians and not subscription based, access would be universal and would not represent a barrier to viewers on the basis of location or economic status.
• While CBC has a long history of quality sports broadcasting (both amateur and professional), there is currently a significant lack of soccer content within your suite of sports broadcasting. CPL is the ideal league to get back into this broadcasting space, as it would be less expensive than other league rights yet uniquely Canadian.
• Tied to this, there is a huge appetite for soccer content in Canada. Whether shown by the record-breaking numbers achieved during CBC’s coverage of the 2014 World Cup, the strong ratings posted for the recent World Cup in Russia (despite inconvenient broadcast times), the significant viewership that regularly supports our national women’s team, or the strong ratings consistently posted for other professional soccer leagues on the dedicated sports networks, soccer’s rise in popularity is indisputable. The audience for this product is out there.
• In an era where high quality streaming options are emerging to reflect consumer shifts, your experience providing excellent streaming coverage of sports events such as the Olympics demonstrate your capacity in this area.
• Finally, by “getting in on the ground floor” and supporting the league at the outset, CBC would have the opportunity to not only help grow the league, but could also secure a long term arrangement for cost-effective soccer programming with a large potential for growth in popularity. This is a league with plans and ambition. CBC’s broadcasting support at the outset could prove to be an excellent business decision as the league’s popularity grows.

CBC’s mandate includes promotion of Canadian culture – which includes sport. CBC seeks to reflect and promote the cultural diversity of Canada – in a context where soccer (aka “football”) is the world’s most popular sport, and the one which has the most registered youth players in Canada. In short, soccer is now a truly Canadian game. In light of this, I strongly urge you to explore the idea of partnering with CPL at this exciting time, to provide high quality access to this league for all Canadians.

It is possible that league officials have already reached out to explore the possibility of a broadcasting partnership. If not, I would encourage you to reach out to them. The website for this emerging league, including contact information for league officials, can be found here: www.canpl.ca

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXX

CC your MP and Minister of Canadian Heritage.

Your MP's office should follow up on your letter.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

A good letter to send out to the other Canadian TV networks as well CTV, TSN, Sportsnet, beIN Sports Canada, etc (with their particulars replacing the CBC references of course).

Should also mention that CPL will be the Division 1 league of Canada.

I am a big fan of CBC and would love to see them partner with CPL - thus my initial effort.  But if anyone wants to copy and paste some of the content for another letter/message/PM, feel free.

i got a reply from one of the CBC Execs suggesting I send it to CBC Sports.  I think I already may have sent it to them (went with the kitchen sink method of sending it to multiple people on multiple platforms) but they gave me the email for CBC Sports so they now definitely have it directly.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Blackjack15 said:

Recently there’s been a lot of activity happening at DAZN

Read a recent article on how the streaming was quite poor for DAZN and how they were sub-licensing out to Bell and Rogers this year for certain games.

I think streaming for most CPL matches is fine but there should be a TV deal as well nationally for a game of the week, then local TV for each club as well showing all home games.

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Expected to grow to 24 clubs by 2026?  That seems pretty ambitious.  Not that there is anything wrong with ambition but that seems like a lot.

Yeah, that's definitely a huge number. Sounds like they aren't even considering the possibility (inevitability?) that one or more clubs will fold. Every league has teams fold in the early years, and I really don't think the CPL will be immune to that. I'm just hopeful they can weather the storm and make it through stronger on the other side. 16 clubs by 2026 would still be phenomenal. Like, very, very impressive. That's my dream scenario.

Anyone know anything about thePostGame?  Started by Yahoo! it seems. Their website looks kinda clickbaity to me, but that's their content side; this would involve their marketing side.

Found an interesting site though that might give some insight into TPG or Katz:  it's a panel on sports media, moderated/hosted by Katz.  If nothing else the teleprompter mistakes transcribing the panelists is entertaining, and Bidarian (one of the panelists) reminds me of Andy Garcia from Ocean's Eleven.  :)

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Expected to grow to 24 clubs by 2026?  That seems pretty ambitious.  Not that there is anything wrong with ambition but that seems like a lot.

The only way I see that working is if the Major markets have more than 1 team perhaps sharing stadia in some cases. Might explain the absence of city names in the teams.