CPL TV Contract

6 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Someone posted on one of the threads here recently where DAZN was asked about the bars showing matches and they replied they can in fact show DAZN streaming.

I'm sure they can, i just dont know what they charge for commercial use. Chances are it will be more than the $20 a month for a personal account. 

22 hours ago, 1996 said:

You guys want soccer to grow in Canada better hope that DANZ does not get the Premier League too, already with them having Champions League it feels like the Champions League is not even happening, out of site out of mind, even at my work less and less people are talking about it because the majority of people can’t watch it. Less and less soccer on regular TV is not a good thing for the growing popularity of soccer in this country .

Yeah, this was always my concern with the exclusively streaming option. TV brings a mainstream presence that streaming simply doesn't achieve.  And especially for a fledgling league that benefits from all the exposure it can get, being relegated to streaming platforms kills one of the biggest ways the average sports fan would encounter it.  People like us are going to seek it out regardless - but it is the non-hardcore that the league will eventually (and arguably fairly quickly) need to onboard.   And I agree - it barely feels like the CL is happening.  Because the sports networks aren't showing the games, you don't even see the highlights nearly as much. A similar kind of vacuum with respect to CPL would be way less than optimal.  

• 1 month later...

I received an email from DAZN with a customer survey. they asked questions about a lot of different topics, one of which was which leagues you watch and which you would like to see.

I found it interesting that they included the Canadian Championship on the list, alongside MLS, UEFA Champions League and all of the Big 5 major European Leagues. No mention of the Canadian Premier League however.

52 minutes ago, masster said:

I received an email from DAZN with a customer survey. they asked questions about a lot of different topics, one of which was which leagues you watch and which you would like to see.

I found it interesting that they included the Canadian Championship on the list, alongside MLS, UEFA Champions League and all of the Big 5 major European Leagues. No mention of the Canadian Premier League however.

Nice to see the Canadian Championship on there. I'm reminded of an "MLS" survey (put in quotes because it turned out to be more about tire sponsorships than soccer) where they asked to what degree I followed MLS, CCL, US Open Cup, USMNT, USWNT, EPL, La Liga etc., with no mention of CMNT, CWNT, or the Voyageurs Cup. I got very frustrated.

That's weird because I just received an email today from TLN with their Serie A games for the next two weeks. I used to watch it on TLN years ago so it really was an out-of-the-blue communique. I'm so non-techy that I don't even know which of my TVs is even capable of having DAZN. Whereas TSN, TLN, CBC...those I know I get!

The way is see it is DAZN is 20$ and there is no MLB or NHL. For 26$ I get a streaming cable package with about 100 stations including all the TSN's + major networks. This gives me NHL/NBA/MLS/MLB/EPL/NHL. On top of that I get live news, other live sporting events, kids networks, news networks, a movie network ect.... DAZN just doesn't seem like its prices right except for the NFL coverage. 20$ durign the NFL off season seems way way too high compared to the alternatives - like the one I just listed.

2 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

The way is see it is DAZN is 20$ and there is no MLB or NHL. For 26$ I get a streaming cable package with about 100 stations including all the TSN's + major networks. This gives me NHL/NBA/MLS/MLB/EPL/NHL. On top of that I get live news, other live sporting events, kids networks, news networks, a movie network ect.... DAZN just doesn't seem like its prices right except for the NFL coverage. 20$ durign the NFL off season seems way way too high compared to the alternatives - like the one I just listed.

What is the streaming cable package you are referring to?

5 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

DAZN is $12.50 per month if you pay annually. I guess it all depends on what you are interested in. UEFA Champions League is more important to me than NHL. Serie A is more important to me than NBA. The NFL package is more important to be than MLB (although DAZN has the MLB network too).

On 11/29/2018 at 4:47 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

I see DAZN at $20 per month to high as well, I'd rather they have a CPL Live streaming service that would be priced at likely half that or less per month like MLS Live.

Add to that a National TV deal for games of the week and local TV packages for each clubs market. This way all the league's games are broadcast and on multiple platforms for exposure.

No-one outside of the inner CPL circle seems to know yet.

I have been enjoying oz.com's coverage of the concacaf. The free side that is.

If the Dazyn route is the way they go, do you think there is a possibility they could air CPL for free live but after on demand as part of the pay package. Would at least give better accessibility while attracting more people to Dazyn. 

Still praying for the slim hope of tv!

I was at the Cavalry FC member event last night in downtown Calgary (which was an excellent event, by the way). There was a Q&A segment with Tommy Wheeldon, Ledgerwood, Carmago and Spruce Meadows President and COO Ian Allison. 

Someone had asked a question about league media (streaming audio of matches was the direct ask). Ian responded that the league has 13 RFPs out to various media groups around the world (the around the world part seems a bit laughable) and then he specifically mentioned DAZN by name. 

A bit of a tell, perhaps?