CPL TV Contract

Needs to be on TV IMO, an internet streaming service will not be mainstream available. I’d rather see the league on Sportsnet, TSN or whatever, even if it’s basically given away for the first couple of years. Still, bundled with the VC games, maybe the champions league (concacaf) games, and CMNT / WNT, I think it’s actually not a bad little bundle of IP for some network to pay for. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

My ideal scenario would be every game available on DAZN but a game of the week available on a sports network or even cbc

I think maybe almost more important than a tv deal for CPL is whatvwill be the TV deal and coverage for the Voyageurs Cup?

I like this approach if the league is leaning heavily toward streaming as the dominant delivery method.  Even a small footprint on TV would help raise the profile/exposure of the league.  And CBC... well, I have already stated my affection for it.

3 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Needs to be on TV IMO, an internet streaming service will not be mainstream available. I’d rather see the league on Sportsnet, TSN or whatever, even if it’s basically given away for the first couple of years. Still, bundled with the VC games, maybe the champions league (concacaf) games, and CMNT / WNT, I think it’s actually not a bad little bundle of IP for some network to pay for. 

I would also rather it on tv but as it’s a starting league there’s not much reason for sportsnet or tsn to take a risk right away. Also with tsn showing mls it would most likely only being on tsn 4 or 5 which wouldn’t have as big of a audience. Sportsnet might but again unlikely because they won’t get a lot of money from it right away so it would be smarter to go in once the league is stable. I could see CBC showing one or two games a week but I wouldn’t count on it.

I mean I guess if they could offer the complete worldwide rights(Canadian + International) it would make it more attractive/valuable to some service like DAZN. They might not mind paying some money to have some extra content for their service worldwide. And it might recoup some of the costs for producing the live games.

However the problem with this strategy is that the German or Japanese person that might watch it on DAZN isn't going to end up in the stands like a person from Winnipeg watching it on Sportsnet might...

Edited by mpg_29

4 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I think a setup like NASL had with all matches shown each season, most streamed on ESPN but also a National TV game of the week, plus all clubs having local TV coverage as well would be a good fit for year one CPL.

Considering there is only going to be 3 games a week whoever buys access is likely going to want complete exclusivity to make it even worth it.

The only way I see a "game of the week" happening is if CPL doesn't sell the rights at all and just lets CBC/local TV simulcast a game of their own streaming service.

44 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A recommendation from Heremy Filosa for the Montreal Impact, reacting to their very low TV rating.

They should go on general channels + DAZN & Youtube to increase their visibility.

He noted that cable subscription is less popular.

They are with TVA Sports until 2021.  So, it's not going to change in the foreseeble future. TVA Sports can carry all 34 MLS matches and there is only one other network who could do that in French in RDS. TVA Sports is also lacking because there is not an alternative option for people without cable. 

• 2 weeks later...

If DAZN gets their hands on this one, that would push their subscription over the edge, which would be good for CPL too if they end up on DAZN. Sucks for bars and those licking to go to bars though...

Might explains why CPL is very patient on the TV / Streaming angle. EPL bid will set the stage to what comes next

16 minutes ago, ted said:

Why? Is there not going to be a way for bars to get DAZN?!? That seems like a really basic thing for DAZN to make happen.

I imagine the commercial broadcast rights are/will be separate from the private home market. That's the way it works with other sports packages like Centre Ice, Sunday Ticket, etc ...

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

If DAZN gets their hands on this one, that would push their subscription over the edge, which would be good for CPL too if they end up on DAZN. Sucks for bars and those licking to go to bars though...

Might explains why CPL is very patient on the TV / Streaming angle. EPL bid will set the stage to what comes next

I am already missing the Champion's League like crazy.  If DAZN get exclusivity for EPL, it is like emotional blackmail.   If DAZN get both, then I am fine with them getting CPL since I will be there anyway.

Conversely, my need to continue subscribing to the existing sports channels would take a major hit. 

Slightly off topic, but does anybody use TSN Direct? Am I right in thinking to use that you don't need a subscription to TSN's TV channel(s)? So if I cut the cord I can subscribe to TSN Direct and get their programming? Is it easy enough to, say, watch the start of a game an hour after the game has started?

Does anyone see someone else out bidding DAZN?

TSN might be interested but won't play the bidding game. CBC probably won't bid period. Fair play to DAZN who want to boost the profile. Free to air matches however is the best outcome and going to a subscription site will immediately hurt chances of expanding knowledge of the league and building a wider fanbase across the country. I am sure people from here will sign up but that is preaching to the converted. 

For me DAZN is far from the best outcome, however should they win, at least we know it should be a reliable stream and one that won't get bumped, cut in late or out early for another program or sport.

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Slightly off topic, but does anybody use TSN Direct? Am I right in thinking to use that you don't need a subscription to TSN's TV channel(s)? So if I cut the cord I can subscribe to TSN Direct and get their programming? Is it easy enough to, say, watch the start of a game an hour after the game has started?

Not sure about TSN but I know sportsnet you can just log on and watch programs from earlier in the evening and skip through them. I would imagine TSN is the same. Not hugely helpful :)   You can subscribe online to both TSN and Sportsnet now without TV for sure. 

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I subscribed to TSN Direct for the World Cup, and I had no issues.

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

Don't bars have to play to show EPL games?

14 minutes ago, matty said:

There is a different fee for commercial cable packages. Its based upon seated capacity. For pay per view events it can get crazy expensive. I'm not sure where DAZN will fall on the spectrum because I got out of that business. 

2 minutes ago, Alex D said:

There is a different fee for commercial cable packages. Its based upon seated capacity. For pay per view events it can get crazy expensive. I'm not sure where DAZN will fall on the spectrum because I got out of that business. 

Someone posted on one of the threads here recently where DAZN was asked about the bars showing matches and they replied they can in fact show DAZN streaming.

46 minutes ago, matty said:

You guys want soccer to grow in Canada better hope that DANZ does not get the Premier League too, already with them having Champions League it feels like the Champions League is not even happening, out of site out of mind, even at my work less and less people are talking about it because the majority of people can’t watch it. Less and less soccer on regular TV is not a good thing for the growing popularity of soccer in this country .

^ Not sure we've reached what I'd call a critical mass of viewership in this country yet, but it does feel like we're very close, so yeah, mores the pity.  One of the great annual tournies for anyone interested in the sport at the casual, and of course, the not so casual level.  

The international tournaments (club or national) have always been the one thing uniting (in the absence of a domestic Canadian league) the very fractured viewer landscape in this country.  The easier it is to get them into the public eye the better.