CPL General

On 2017/09/08 at 2:16 AM, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Yes but I'm talking about like 2-3x inflation of numbers

Have also read elsewhere that the Rio Grande team has been doing that along with Bethlehem Steel, but haven't seen that claimed about Reno which is an MLS affiliate and they are also doing well in announced numbers. Attendance numbers in pro soccer in North America should always be treated with a healthy degree of skepticism and it's not wise to use them as the basis for deciding what is financially feasible as even the people who do show up could be getting in on a freebie or a heavily discounted group sale.

2-3x inflation was an understatement sometimes where the original CSL was concerned in my experience when I compared what I saw at the game to the attendance number reported in the Toronto Star:

Any time I was at a North York Rockets game including during the 1991 season there were dozens of fans there rather than hundreds or thousands, but the crowd tended to be reported as having been in four digits. Blizzard crowds when I was there tended to be in the low to mid hundreds from what I could see at the game but would be over 2000 in the newspaper. Attendance was a bit healthier in Hamilton when I was at a game at Brian Timmis stadium, but nothing spectacular. There were lower reported numbers in Kitchener and London but that's because there was no huge discrepancy going on between actual and announced attendance.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On 9/8/2017 at 9:00 PM, RickC said:

From today's Edmonton journal, with a quote from tom Fath: 

For FC Edmonton, the development of a new Canadian Premier League could become an option if the NASL ceases operations.

“We’re in the NASL and we believe in the NASL, it’s a great league,” Fath said. “At the same time, I know the CPL is looking at starting and I think the CPL will be fantastic for Canada. Canada needs that going forward, but we are in the NASL now.”

HMMM very interesting: Mr Tom Fath was quoted in the Edmonton Journal addressing the Possibility of moving to the Canadian Premier League, this was after  i made a statement claiming that FC Edmonton will be part of the CPL .

Stay tuned for the  Futballer Report!!  Your Direct connection to CPL News and Views you can Use!!!!! 

29 minutes ago, Futballer said:

HMMM very interesting: Mr Tom Fath was quoted in the Edmonton Journal addressing the Possibility of moving to the Canadian Premier League, this was after  i made a statement claiming that FC Edmonton will be part of the CPL .

Stay tuned for the  Futballer Report!!  Your Direct connection to CPL News and Views you can Use!!!!! 

Dude you made the comment well after this was made

On 05/09/2017 at 3:30 PM, Complete Homer said:

All you do Futballer is make general claims that feature a hint of over the top optimism

Edited by matty

9 hours ago, Rheo said:

Over 7k for the Wolfpack while TFC have a sellout and the Jays have a good crowd at the same time. CPL can work there...

The Wolfpack have done a remarkable job marketing their team and drumming up media coverage. I have never watched a rugby game in my life but have found myself following the Wolfpack a bit this year. Eric Perez has unlimited passion, energy, determination and has surrounded himself with a terrific team. Could the CPL work in Toronto? Possibly.

The one thing I will say is if CPL was to succeed they would have to do a remarkable job marketing. Unlike the Wolfpack who is the lone Rugby club in town and an international news story the CPL club would not be such a big story plus it would have to compete with Toronto FC for fans. 

In summary I would say it is 'possible' for CPL to work in Toronto BUT they would require a truely top not ownership group who knows how to market a small fry in a large competitive pond.  

On 9/8/2017 at 9:00 PM, RickC said:

From today's Edmonton journal, with a quote from tom Fath: 

For FC Edmonton, the development of a new Canadian Premier League could become an option if the NASL ceases operations.

“We’re in the NASL and we believe in the NASL, it’s a great league,” Fath said. “At the same time, I know the CPL is looking at starting and I think the CPL will be fantastic for Canada. Canada needs that going forward, but we are in the NASL now.”

Just read this. I think the biggest takeaway is that Fath has no plans to fold with NASL. I know we've gotten the general idea that they are looking at CPL intently, but it's reassuring that Fath isn't throwing in the towel

link if anyone is interested: http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/09/08/fc-edmonton-plays-on-despite-uncertainty-of-nasl-future

8 hours ago, Futballer said:

Yeah - you are the only guy on here who has been calling for FCEd to join CPL and/or predicting it would happen.  It is crazy that no one else has thought of that in the hundreds of pages of CPL speculation.  Now that you brought up that completely new and original idea, it seems obvious.

12 hours ago, Big_M said:

“At the same time, I know the CPL is looking at starting and I think the CPL will be fantastic for Canada. Canada needs that going forward, but we are in the NASL now.”

Looks like just a matter of time before they join cpl

You snipped out this part:

“We’re in the NASL and we believe in the NASL, it’s a great league,” Fath said. “At the same time,...

The way that reads to me is that they are definitely open to a switch to CPL and that's a very significant change from what has been reported previously usually third hand rather than with an atributed quote like this one, but it's not clear cut which way they would jump in 2018 if the NASL is still around. The Jacksonville Armada owner has tweeted that he is willing to run four teams to keep the league afloat, so although that's firmly in believe it when I see it territory, it's best to wait and see what unfolds before assuming that it's all over for them:

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 minutes ago, Rheo said:

"There are now 10 employees, including acting CPL president Paul Beirne, working in a hip, open-concept space that Beirne says will eventually house about 25 staff."

FUCK OFF

but nice to see August 2018 is still the goal

54 minutes ago, Rheo said:

While the news of the league is great we now have three more people to add to twitter lol

So it's Mark Silver (we already knew about him via Stadium Digital - he looks like the digital media/streaming type), someone in marketing, and the communications guy that popped up in the CBC article

Cool

The unstated message appears to be vote this guy out or the Flames leave town. I doubt pro soccer would be happening under that ownership until that saga gets fully resolved, so I suspect if there is a team #6 in July 2018 if all the pieces slide neatly into place elsewhere after an NASL death spiral it would be in one of the very few markets that have a stadium that is ready to go pretty much as is with an stadium owner that is easy to deal with in a hurry. That leaves Swangard, OSA Soccer Centre in Vaughan, Claude Robillard, Moncton and St John's. Given where likely interested soccer loving owners with more money than sense when it comes to investing in their sporting passion are most likely to live due to recent immigration patterns, and given where CPL HQ has set up shop I suspect there would be a team with Toronto in its name at launch. We'll find out very soon if this is happening as the timeline is so tight they probably only have another month to six weeks maximum to go public on a 2018 launch and leave time to make a reasonable first impression as the winter transfer window is the key for securing the services of North American based players.