CPL General

2 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I just feel like we have exhausted every possible topic of conversation. I'm still engaged, but since we haven't gotten official word about anything in months, this board just ends up arguing in circles. 

Agreed, but I like hanging out in here while I'm working.  However rarely check when I'm not working unless something big is going on lol

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

...this board just ends up arguing in circles. 

If the Soccer Nova Scotia event had happened this month the Halifax posters would be a lot more energized in the way they were in the run up to the city council meeting. There actually has been surprisingly little solid news over the last couple of months.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Was reading somewhere that they have to play games like this in cities like Houston precisely because they might get a crowd there paying decent coin in a way they almost certainly wouldn't in San Salvador for a game like this. The spending power of Mexican and Central American fans in the US is what drives the finances of SUM. The real moneyspinner is Mexico obviously.

I know they do it but they have a mixed history of turning out. They likely do have a better chance of getting a crowd than in El Salvador but it's still very mixed.

Would have thought so and two existing franchises with viable stadiums ready to go as is switching leagues provides the most obvious way to get to six franchises actually playing games by July 2018. Think today is when the NASL have to resubmit their revised D2 application, so we'll find out soon enough what the outcome is in Edmonton terms.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/09/14/nasl-us-soccer-sanctioning-division-2-future-league-usa-club-landscape?xid=si-amp-fbshare

41 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I just feel like we have exhausted every possible topic of conversation. I'm still engaged, but since we haven't gotten official word about anything in months, this board just ends up arguing in circles. 

True, just pointing out that there is plenty of enthusiastic conversation in other places (reddit, Twitter, Facebook, now even a little on discord), I think most CPL supporters have just bailed on this particular forum/set of threads for the time being 

42 minutes ago, Rheo said:

CUSL is before my time following Canadian soccer as closely as I do now.  

Not asking sarcastically because I truly don't know but in the as you put it "way more excitement" on the CUSL discussions previously was there numerous supporters groups across the country for teams that don't exist?  

It was during my time (heck I contributed to the plan) and no, there were no local supporters groups getting behind teams that did not even exist at the time. 

I would gauge the level of excitement to be be slightly higher with the CanPL because it has gotten slightly further and seems like a real possibility IMO.  Or maybe it's just me. ;)

There was no D1 soccer league in Canada at that point, so the fans of the existing teams like the Whitecaps (maybe still 86ers at that point), impact and Lynx were engaged in a way they are not at the moment. A lot of people from what I can see are focussing on their MLS team and tuning CanPL out pretty much completely.

Think the most interesting thing to follow this weekend is what is happening with the NASL after their meeting yesterday, because Tom Fath's recent quote that was maybe too late to be included in that link is probably the most significant thing to happen in the last month or so, and has provided grounds for genuine optimism where CanPL is concerned.

On 9/16/2017 at 5:27 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Think the most interesting thing to follow this weekend is what is happening with the NASL after their meeting yesterday, because Tom Fath's recent quote that was maybe too late to be included in that link is probably the most significant thing to happen in the last month or so, and has provided grounds for genuine optimism where CanPL is concerned.

The latest from that meeting is that a plan was put in place to meet US D2 standards, but it was suggested that the individual teams formulate a "Plan B". Many of the American soccer journalists I follow don't think the NASL has much of a chance. Grant Wahl called the NASL plan a "hail mary".

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

The latest from that meeting is that a plan was put in place to meet US D2 standards, but it was suggested that the individual teams formulate a "Plan B". Many of the American soccer journalists I follow don't think the NASL has much of a chance. Grant Wahl called the NASL plan a "hail mary".

My futsal ball suggests the plan B spoken about is, for all the breakaway NASL teams to rejoin the  USL for the up coming season. 

this then clears the way for an edmonton FC to the CanPL as promised. As for Ottawa Entry in the Canpl , the Ottawa Wizards owner OMar S  has been approached by CPL for the past several years so he may finally decide to join. 

Quebec / Trois rivers Attak was also interested. 

Quite a while ago i had told many on this forum and the Former OFF the Pitch forum that the MLS wants Canada to have a National League, well its starting to un ravel, so stay tuned to the Futballer report!!!!! 

10 minutes ago, Futballer said:

My futsal ball suggests the plan B spoken about is, for all the breakaway NASL teams to rejoin the  USL for the up coming season. 

this then clears the way for an edmonton FC to the CanPL as promised. As for Ottawa Entry in the Canpl , the Ottawa Wizards owner OMar S  has been approached by CPL for the past several years so he may finally decide to join. 

Quebec / Trois rivers Attak was also interested. 

Quite a while ago i had told many on this forum and the Former OFF the Pitch forum that the MLS wants Canada to have a National League, well its starting to un ravel, so stay tuned to the Futballer report!!!!! 

go away with your shitposts.

like you're seriously full of shit and repeat info we've heard else where and drop the names of people from the past no one in the cpl should want in the league.

Edited by matty

Fath attending the CPL meetings is a good sign, and possibly a sign that even he realizes the NASL is a sinking ship. I think FC Edmonton (and Ottawa fury for that matter) in the CPL would instantly give the league more legitimacy, an 8 year old club would instantly set the standard of the league.

Really looking forward to a Calgary / Edmonton derby should it actually happen. #AlClasico or bust.

19 minutes ago, matty said:

go away with your shitposts.

like you're seriously full of shit and repeat info we've heard else where and drop the names of people from the past no one in the cpl should want in the league.

Hey you reminded me of a guy name Martin on off the pitch whom called me all sorts of name when i first made it known  in  2009 that a Canadian premier league business plan was submitted to the CSA and would be sanctioned.  Matty i dont make claims, Futballer knows whats next  because Futballer  Rocks!!!!

37 minutes ago, Futballer said:

Hey you reminded me of a guy name Martin on off the pitch whom called me all sorts of name when i first made it known  in  2009 that a Canadian premier league business plan was submitted to the CSA and would be sanctioned.  Matty i dont make claims, Futballer knows whats next  because Futballer  Rocks!!!!

Tell me five things you've "informed" us about that wasn't hinted at by Rollins or Sandor or fury fanatic or someone well prior? all you do is regurgitate Rollins tweets list guys blacklisted by the CSA and ussf and say they're involved and claim your plan will make a profit asap when the mls loses money ever year. Futballer rocks like nickleback

Edited by matty

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

From Fath: “As long as the USL has its current ownership and structure, we will not go to USL. There are many reasons on why I won’t go to USL that I won’t say publicly. But I can say that I do not believe in the franchise model. I believe in what I call the world model [where clubs are run independently of each other].”

That pretty much confirms what CPL won't be.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

From Fath: “As long as the USL has its current ownership and structure, we will not go to USL. There are many reasons on why I won’t go to USL that I won’t say publicly. But I can say that I do not believe in the franchise model. I believe in what I call the world model [where clubs are run independently of each other].”

That pretty much confirms what CPL won't be.

Spoiler: FCE convinces CPL to go with a franchise model in exchange for joining, league collapses due to instability of teams, FCE become the league-killing Cosmos of Canada.