CPL General

Not that it's ironclad, but Kartik Krishnayer (former NASL employee, became a bit of an insider after leaving) that the timing of the NISA (the 3rd tier league being planned in conjunction with NASL) announcement was pushed up prematurely to give teams options when they will need to be looking for other leagues for survival. So if that's a reliable report, I suppose Edmonton is between NISA, USL, CPL, and folding. Kartik seems above board but he is speaking about a former employer, some people burn bridges

NISA would offer player salary cost savings, probably little to no cost savings elsewhere, lower the quality of the product, and would represent jumping on board with a new league with an uncertain future. EDIT: Also Matty's point that the CSA would be unlikely to allow NISA probably removes this option

CPL may be an increase in player salaries (remains to be seen), maybe some travel savings, aims of maintaining the quality of the product, and hopefully provides better branding than their other options. Ditto for being a new league with an uncertain future.

USL may slightly decrease salary spending in the short term (probably a wash long term), no real difference in travel, largely similar product quality, and stability. No idea if USL would take them, and IIRC Fath went on the record with Sandor saying he'd never go to USL. EDIT: Ditto for this point

And we all hope they don't fold, but who knows where Fath's headspace is. Hopefully their 70% growth in attendance this year convinces him to stay the course

Edited by Complete Homer

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Not that it's ironclad, but Kartik Krishnayer (former NASL employee, became a bit of an insider after leaving) that the timing of the NISA (the 3rd tier league being planned in conjunction with NASL) announcement is "not a coincidence", and that the teams will need to be looking for other leagues for survival. So if that's a reliable report, I suppose Edmonton is between NISA, USL, CPL, and folding.

NISA would offer player salary cost savings, probably little to no cost savings elsewhere, lower the quality of the product, and would represent jumping on board with a new league with an uncertain future

CPL may be an increase in player salaries (remains to be seen), maybe some travel savings, aims of maintaining the quality of the product, and hopefully provides better branding than their other options. Ditto for being a new league with an uncertain future.

USL may slightly decrease salary spending in the short term (probably a wash long term), no real difference in travel, largely similar product quality, and stability. No idea if USL would take them, and IIRC Fath went on the record with Sandor saying he'd never go to USL

And we all hope they don't fold, but who knows where Fath's headspace is. Hopefully their 70% growth in attendance this year convinces him to stay the course

I'd say it's NISA or CPL and CPL should win in that. CPL travel would be much better than NISA. 1 or 2 trips to Halifax is nowhere near as bad as constant trips to Miami, Phoenix and Chattanooga. Not to mention the good PR and fan happiness. 

Just now, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I'd say it's NISA or CPL and CPL should win in that. CPL travel would be much better than NISA. 1 or 2 trips to Halifax is nowhere near as bad as constant trips to Miami, Phoenix and Chattanooga. Not to mention the good PR and fan happiness. 

I tend to agree, but there's also the issue of Fath's opinion of collective ownership. Apparently that used to be one of his biggest issues with CPL (I think it was Sandor who reported that? No quite sure), so assuming CPL is somewhat collectivized and NISA is traditional, it might depend on how staunch Fath is in that regard

Personally, I'm a little worried about them folding. 

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Not that it's ironclad, but Kartik Krishnayer (former NASL employee, became a bit of an insider after leaving) that the timing of the NISA (the 3rd tier league being planned in conjunction with NASL) announcement is "not a coincidence", and that the teams will need to be looking for other leagues for survival. So if that's a reliable report, I suppose Edmonton is between NISA, USL, CPL, and folding.

NISA would offer player salary cost savings, probably little to no cost savings elsewhere, lower the quality of the product, and would represent jumping on board with a new league with an uncertain future

USL may slightly decrease salary spending in the short term (probably a wash long term), no real difference in travel, largely similar product quality, and stability. No idea if USL would take them, and IIRC Fath went on the record with Sandor saying he'd never go to USL

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I don't think the CSA would let NISA into Canada. Also not sure they'd let the USL have another club up here

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Hopefully he's already hunting for partnerships to upgrade into CPL

I'm like 60% convinced there's a second group in Edmonton (hence why it was listed by Halifax) that wants to have a team but they want to avoid competition so they wanna merge with FCE and use the FCE name LOL

Just now, matty said:

I'm like 60% convinced there's a second group in Edmonton (hence why it was listed by Halifax) that wants to have a team but they want to avoid competition so they wanna merge with FCE and use the FCE name LOL

Best possible outcome for all parties!

Just now, matty said:

I don't think the CSA would let NISA into Canada. Also not sure they'd let the USL have another club up here

I suspect being the Whitecaps USL affiliate rather than being a USL expansion club would be the potential lifeline to stay at USSF D2 level if this D2 rejection is final and definitive and isn't just a case of go away and sort these things out and come back to us again next year as eventually wound up happening last year. Think in the past the NASL have got back in on appeal so I doubt today is the end of the saga. Don't think NISA would work for them. If Hamilton get their rental agreement sorted and Halifax sort out the pop-up deal, and if Edmonton and Ottawa switched leagues all it would take is a team at McMahon Stadium in Calgary, the OSA's Soccer Centre in Vaughan or in either Moncton or St John's for 2018 or 2019 to be very much feasible. Lot of ifs involved still obviously.

7 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I suspect being the Whitecaps USL affiliate rather than being a USL expansion club would be the potential lifeline....

I agree, I could see the CSA approving them taking over Whitecaps 2's spot in USL but at the same time I could see them blocking it now that the CPL is there. Also would Fath want to do that?

Edited by matty

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I suspect being the Whitecaps USL affiliate rather than being a USL expansion club would be the potential lifeline to stay at USSF D2 level if this D2 rejection is final and definitive and isn't just a case of go away and sort these things out and come back to us again next year as eventually wound up happening last year. Think in the past the NASL have got back in on appeal so I doubt today is the end of the saga. Don't think NISA would work for them. If Hamilton get their rental agreement sorted and Halifax sort out the pop-up deal, and if Edmonton and Ottawa switched leagues all it would take is a team at McMahon Stadium in Calgary, the OSA's Soccer Centre in Vaughan or in either Moncton or St John's for 2018 or 2019 to be very much feasible. Lot of ifs involved still obviously.

Maybe but why would Edmonton want that. Fath wants to stay independent and that would be the opposite. Not to mention how angry the fans would be. I still don't think the CSA would even allow that. Also worth mentioning how far that is for an affiliate.    

12 minutes ago, matty said:

I agree, I could see the CSA approving them taking over Whitecaps 2's spot in USL but at the same time I could see them blocking it now that the CPL is there. Also would Fath want to do that?

From what I understand from this issue in the past, the USL had no interest in Edmonton due to the travel distance for it's teams (and no I don't have the proof, just remember seeing/hearing that mentioned more than once)

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Maybe but why would Edmonton want that. Fath wants to stay independent and that would be the opposite. Not to mention how angry the fans would be. I still don't think the CSA would even allow that. Also worth mentioning how far that is for an affiliate.    

Only reason I brought that up is that it's what happened with Ottawa and I have a pet theory that the Fury currently hold the old FC Montreal franchise and were not a USL expansion team. Also worth noting there were rumours about Whitecaps II moving to Alberta earlier this year. I have no idea what the Faths would do under that scenario so claim no special insight.

I think at some point the Faths have to say that NASL is going to combust, and that he will see the way of CPL.

If CPL and PB can make a good case to the Faths that the league is somewhere between NASL and USL in terms of both the ownership business model and the playing level as well (or even higher than NASL though I do doubt that initially), then I think everything points to a happy outcome for everybody involved. Wow this is some huge news for sure, came out of the blue even despite all of the Deltas' troubles.

Just now, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Only reason I brought that up is that it's what happened with Ottawa and I have a pet theory that the Fury currently hold the old FC Montreal franchise and were not a USL expansion team. Also worth noting there were rumours about Whitecaps II moving to Alberta earlier this year. I have no idea what the Faths would do under that scenario so claim no special insight.

I'd say Edmonton as a USL affiliate under fath is pretty much 0%, he's said he doesn't like USL and he also said he want's to stay independent. As for the Ottawa bit, I'd believe it. 

Just now, shermanator said:

IMO, having Edmonton be a reserve side of the Whitecaps would torpedo the great work Jay Ball and company have done in getting butts in seats this year. MLS reserve clubs just simply do not draw, period.

Yes but the Fury have maintained crowds this year despite the move. 

Just now, matty said:

Yes but the Fury have maintained crowds this year despite the move. 

They are barely affiliated with the Impact and attendance has gone down a tiny bit but I'm willing to say that's because of results. They also didn't have the option of jumping right into CPL like Edmonton because the League was still in Fetus stage then.

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

IMO, having Edmonton be a reserve side of the Whitecaps would torpedo the great work Jay Ball and company have done in getting butts in seats this year. MLS reserve clubs just simply do not draw, period.

Guys, BBTB meant an affiliate for the Caps, not the reserves. It might feel like it's the same thing but it's not, big difference.

Personally, I think the Faths will see the light of CPL, but it's good to keep in mind all the options that will be running through the Faths' heads.

Just now, shermanator said:

Being an affiliate rather than a reserve team seems to have worked OK for Ottawa and the Whitecaps are rumoured to be in two minds about the reserve team's future, but who knows at this point? There were lots of crazy rumours last year before everything finally got settled so I suspect there are a few more twists to go on this before we get some clarity.

3 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

If you feel inclined, go and RT the hell out of these two guys, I don't know if they're on the forum, but I'm 95% certain Dal's the FCESG drummer and Adam one of the co-hosts for a FCEd podcast, Loyal Company RV.

Dallas is one of my favourite people in the supporters scene in this country. He's also one of the few supporters in Edmonton who's been pro CPL from the beginning. FWIW, even with this news, the ESG president is very skeptical of CPL.

Adam, on the other hand, I don't have anything good to say about, and I think there are few more high profile V's that would agree with me. Just avoid him at all costs.