CPL General

6 hours ago, Futballer said:

12. GTA  TEam TBA   Prospect Kitchener, Sauga, Brampton, Markham .

The CPL will begin play with 12 teams, as the C.S.A  sanctioned a business plan with twelve teams as that will make the CPL financially viable.  

This part made me laugh. The TBA part because it's like you knew the 11 other teams for certain, as if they have been announced. Then the certainty that you state this is in fact what the CPL will start with because obviously they are going to begin with 12 teams despite everything we've been told about 6-8 teams.

I've missed you Futballer.

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

This part made me laugh. The TBA part because it's like you knew the 11 other teams for certain, as if they have been announced. Then the certainty that you state this is in fact what the CPL will start with because obviously they are going to begin with 12 teams despite everything we've been told about 6-8 teams.

Both Toronto and Edmonton have 2 teams and Kitchener is now part of the GTA

Some CPL content on Soccer Today's show from yesterday.  They interview Stephen Hart and ask him about the league and the Halifax market since he coached there.  They also discussed the NASL decision and Edmonton FC.

Nothing really new or quote worthy but interesting (at least to me)

10 hours ago, matty said:

Both Toronto and Edmonton have 2 teams and Kitchener is now part of the GTA

I think he saw you say "This is the most wishful thinking I've seen here yet" to Initial B and thought, I can do better than that. I have to admit I immediately thought of Futballer when I read that before he commented.

I thought Burnaby was considered part of the Fraser Valley, but then I realized that should probably be Abbottsford. I added that city because I thought there has been talk of a team in that area that was more than rumor. As for Mississauga, I guess the enthusiasm of their supports made me rank them higher in the list of preparedness than they actually are. I just remember PB saying that a Sask bid would come in around 7 or 8 and is why I added them as a 2019 addition. I know the 2030 list was pretty pie in the sky, but MLS added their 20th team in their 15th year (though 3 of those went defunct), so why not CPL in 2032?

If you were to choose a 2018 Original Six, 2019 Next Four, and Supporting Teams to be Named Later, what cities would you chose, based on our current knowledge and speculation on active bids?

17 minutes ago, Initial B said:

If you were to choose a 2018 Original Six, 2019 Next Four, and Supporting Teams to be Named Later, what cities would you chose, based on our current knowledge and speculation on active bids?

I think the comment about optimism was probably the 4 in 2019 prediction.  To me, there's probably 2 at most, maybe 1 if #8 doesn't work out as fast 

My guess is

2018: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax 

2019: Saskatchewan, hopefully KW. Combine with above if a 2018 launch does not happen. 

Nearish future: Fraser Valley, "GTA"

Further future: Victoria, Toronto, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I think the comment about optimism was probably the 4 in 2019 prediction.  To me, there's probably 2 at most, maybe 1 if #8 doesn't work out as fast 

My guess is

2018: Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Halifax 

2019: Saskatchewan, hopefully KW. Combine with above if a 2018 launch does not happen. 

Nearish future: Fraser Valley, "GTA"

Further future: Victoria, Toronto, etc. 

Mostly same but swap kw with gta for 2019

18 hours ago, Kent said:

Hey Kenneth,

One of The strange thing about  the information that i have access to is that the CPL business manager met with Doug Logan as a representative : to a GTA  group, there was no mention  of this to the Media. Go Figure Eh i guess you all have to just place your finger over your lips and be quiet !!! until it all goes down!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Futballer said:

Hey Kenneth,

One of The strange thing about  the information that i have access to is that the CPL business manager met with Doug Logan as a representative : to a GTA  group, there was no mention  of this to the Media. Go Figure Eh i guess you all have to just place your finger over your lips and be quiet !!! until it all goes down!!!! 

I am media

On 9/5/2017 at 10:42 PM, Dub Narcotic said:

I think that's true of most pro teams in North America, including FCE. I'm not saying FCE should be the Whitecaps affiliate in any sense (and I think it's pretty darn likely they will be in the CPL sooner rather than later) but why make up shit?

Yes but I'm talking about like 2-3x inflation of numbers

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Not particularly lol.  Names just blend together sometimes after reading hundreds of posts unless I've either butted heads or they've stood out for one reason or another 

He claims to have deep knowledge of what's going on, claims to work with a group of sports execs who fix failing leagues, says there were two rival groups trying to set up the league and lots of other crap (I think he said something like the cap would pass MLS's).

As you just saw he makes outlandish claims

4 minutes ago, matty said:

He claims to have deep knowledge of what's going on, claims to work with a group of sports execs who fix failing leagues, says there were two rival groups trying to set up the league and lots of other crap (I think he said something like the cap would pass MLS's).

As you just saw he makes outlandish claims

Ok yeah I remember those types of posts before.  Too many names to keep track of all the "different" theories/"facts" etc lol.  Thanks

From today's Edmonton journal, with a quote from tom Fath: 

For FC Edmonton, the development of a new Canadian Premier League could become an option if the NASL ceases operations.

“We’re in the NASL and we believe in the NASL, it’s a great league,” Fath said. “At the same time, I know the CPL is looking at starting and I think the CPL will be fantastic for Canada. Canada needs that going forward, but we are in the NASL now.”

As I suspected a third party promoter is involved. I wonder if that sort of formula could be used to make things happen in 2018 for CPL if everything falls neatly into place elsewhere (a lot more credible now that the NASL has sanctioning issues again) and the City of Hamilton won't deal directly with people they are in litigation with?

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7544616-european-soccer-clubs-to-play-friendly-in-hamilton-next-month/

...The Eusebio Cup is being promoted by Elite Soccer Entertainment of Brampton, with organizational and game-day support from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. "I hope it will be a full house," Elite Soccer Entertainment president Fernando Pacheco told The Spectator Friday....Pacheco has an agreement with Hamilton's Greenhorizons Sod Farms (formerly Hamilton Sod) to bring in rolls of natural sod to lay down on top of the artificial turf. The company has worked on four major soccer matches at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, and uses 17 to 18 semi-trailers of sod to cover a field, according to Greenhorizons' president, Steve Schiedel...

Surprised they are going to the expense of putting grass in as Rangers play on 3G surfaces reasonably regularly in domestic league and cup games. Maybe it is Benfica that insisted on that.

15 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

As I suspected a third party promoter is involved. I wonder if that sort of formula could be used to make things happen in 2018 for CPL if everything falls neatly into place elsewhere (a lot more credible now that the NASL has sanctioning issues again) and the City of Hamilton won't deal directly with people they are in litigation with?

Not shocked it's 3rd party. I doubt it would be an effective get around there if everything is shit for Hamilton.

17 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Surprised they are going to the expense of putting grass in as Rangers play on 3G surfaces reasonably regularly in domestic league and cup games. Maybe it is Benfica that insisted on that.

It's weird but we've seen weirder in this sport. I'm sure it was Benfica's call

Thought it was interesting about how one can get presale tickets to the Eusebio Cup at Tim Horton's Field, from customerservice@ticats.ca:

"Great news for soccer fans! Two of Europe's most decorated clubs are playing in the Eusebio Cup on Friday, October 6 at Tim Hortons Field. Want presale access to tickets before the general public and save up to 20% on tickets? Simply sign up to be a fan of Hamilton's Canadian Premier League franchise before next Tuesday. Fans who sign up will receive a presale code via email on Tuesday morning. Already signed up? Then you're already registered for presale access. Thanks for your support!" - Hamilton CPL

I don't know if I received this email from signing up to Hamilton CPL or having bought TiCats tickets. If it's the latter, it's a good way to help spread the word about CPL.