CPL General

7 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Sure but they probably will neglect to mention the dozens or hundreds of club staff members not paid for weeks or months :)

The biggest thing I can take away from NASL 2.0 is that CPL has to be launched only when it's truly ready, and to work together, though definitely never to the level of what MLS does.

That's true but again CPL ownership SO FAR does not look like normal NASL ownership.

Agree with second point

6 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I mean, it also includes a reminder why helping these cities construct stadiums is a bit of a risk too. Not saying the shouldn't, but NASL folding has got to be a bit of cold water on enthusiasm for supporting startup leagues, regardless of assurances that the CPL leadership has spent years looking at why current and past leagues have failed

See comment about ownership.

I think if anything, the NASL should be seen as cautionary for being gung-ho about having a high number of teams in non-traditional markets where you need to build stadia (eg KW) until you're secure.

As we've heard before, this league will be conservative. That Halifax list fits the league not being too aggressive with its actions on original markets (5 are proven sports cities and already have workable stadia).

Edited by matty

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Not that it's ironclad, but Kartik Krishnayer (former NASL employee, became a bit of an insider after leaving) that the timing of the NISA (the 3rd tier league being planned in conjunction with NASL) announcement was pushed up prematurely to give teams options when they will need to be looking for other leagues for survival. So if that's a reliable report, I suppose Edmonton is between NISA, USL, CPL, and folding. Kartik seems above board but he is speaking about a former employer, some people burn bridges

CSA sanctioning aside; NISA's view towards a team in Edmonton might be very similar to L1O's view towards a team in Thunder Bay.

13 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I mean, it also includes a reminder why helping these teams construct stadiums is a bit of a risk too. Not saying they shouldn't, but NASL folding has got to be a bit of cold water on enthusiasm for supporting startup leagues, regardless of assurances that the CPL leadership has spent years looking at why current and past leagues have failed

Shhhh!!!

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

IMO, having Edmonton be a reserve side of the Whitecaps would torpedo the great work Jay Ball and company have done in getting butts in seats this year. MLS reserve clubs just simply do not draw, period.

RGV FV doubles FC Edmonton's attendance despite being a full reserve squad for Houston. Many affiliated, non-reserve squads in USL like Ottawa outdraw Edmonton. Period?

8 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

RGV FV doubles FC Edmonton's attendance despite being a full reserve squad for Houston. Many affiliated, non-reserve squads in USL like Ottawa outdraw Edmonton. Period?

I've read online people saying their attendance numbers are super over inflated. Things like giving away free tickets and counting them as attendance even if they didn't show up. Just from reddit so i don't know how true it is.

Cosmos might be done if the drop happens http://www.empireofsoccer.com/loss-of-d2-status-puts-nasl-cosmos-in-jeopardy-65218/

As for where this development might leave the Cosmos, owner Rocco Commisso‘s previous comments suggest he has no interest in operating the team in the third division. In his first comments to media after rescuing the Cosmos in the off-season, Commisso bluntly stated his purchase of the team was contingent on it and the NASL remaining in the second division.

“I wasn’t coming in if it wasn’t D2, and without me I don’t know it could have survived,” Commisso said in January. “The USSF had to make the decision whether they want to see the Cosmos and the other eight teams fail. Ruin the livelihoods of the players, the staff, the coaches, the executives and so on and so on — not to say anything of the fans that all like this game. So they had a tough decision. I held firm, frankly. My condition was unwaveable and they needed to weigh that. As a result USSF made the right decision in giving the D2 status and a chance to survive and excel over the next 12 months and hopefully go forward.”

That rhetoric painted a clear picture of his feelings on seeing the Cosmos in the third division at the time. Now that he has invested his money and more than half the year rebuilding the Cosmos, it’s unclear if he still maintains that position.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

Cosmos might be done if the drop happens http://www.empireofsoccer.com/loss-of-d2-status-puts-nasl-cosmos-in-jeopardy-65218/

As for where this development might leave the Cosmos, owner Rocco Commisso‘s previous comments suggest he has no interest in operating the team in the third division. In his first comments to media after rescuing the Cosmos in the off-season, Commisso bluntly stated his purchase of the team was contingent on it and the NASL remaining in the second division.

“I wasn’t coming in if it wasn’t D2, and without me I don’t know it could have survived,” Commisso said in January. “The USSF had to make the decision whether they want to see the Cosmos and the other eight teams fail. Ruin the livelihoods of the players, the staff, the coaches, the executives and so on and so on — not to say anything of the fans that all like this game. So they had a tough decision. I held firm, frankly. My condition was unwaveable and they needed to weigh that. As a result USSF made the right decision in giving the D2 status and a chance to survive and excel over the next 12 months and hopefully go forward.”

That rhetoric painted a clear picture of his feelings on seeing the Cosmos in the third division at the time. Now that he has invested his money and more than half the year rebuilding the Cosmos, it’s unclear if he still maintains that position.

I hope for Cosmos fans he doesn't still hold that position and it was a successful attempt to keep NASL alive last year. 

28 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Maybe not "period", but the trend is pretty strong. Grey teams are MLS owned, average less than 1500 attendees per game. RGV FV is an outlier for sure, but so is their model

atten.png

Edited by Complete Homer

Just a quick no comment from FC Ed for now according to Sandor. I would have said that should be the norm, but both the NASL statement, and the one from NCFC today, definitely deviated from the norm today.

https://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-remains-silent-in-wake-of-ussf-decision-to-refrain-from-granting-nasl-div-2-status-for-2018/

https://twitter.com/NorthCarolinaFC/status/905166842330832897

Edited by ironcub14

17 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Just a quick no comment from FC Ed for now according to Sandor. I would have said that should be the norm, but both the NASL statement, and the one from NCFC today, definitely deviated from the norm today.

https://the11.ca/fc-edmonton-remains-silent-in-wake-of-ussf-decision-to-refrain-from-granting-nasl-div-2-status-for-2018/

https://twitter.com/NorthCarolinaFC/status/905166842330832897

Fath jumped to support NASL last season didn't he?

5 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

USL is making pretty good process, 2 of the teams hurting them have fixed the problem S2 moving to Tacoma and TFC 2 moving to Lamport. They also have the potential to moves teams down to D3 if they aren't meeting the standards by then. USL looks like it could be fully ready in 2 years while NASL is still in no mans land and not making much progress.

As Straus points out USL hasn't had their application for D2 sanctioning next year approved either and they have more waivers than NASL.

Charlotte of USL, who's lost multiple millions the last 2 seasons alone, moved into a smaller non D2 stadium this year.

NASL has added 2 teams and another set to go in Atlanta so one short of the 12. NASL is exploring options now to add another which may be New Orleans and meet the 12 teams and central time zone.

8 hours ago, Rheo said:

NASL still has time to reapply for D2 apparently for 2018 and rumors are they are exploring a few options on adding teams as we speak. Atlanta is supposed to be the 11th team added for 2018 and New Orleans have presented last July to the NASL BOG and were going to come in for 2019 -  that may be moved up to fall 2018 which with those 2 moves satisfies the 12 teams and one being a central time zone team.

7 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Hopefully this put Edmonton on the 2018 CPL train, an established team will a ready to go stadium in a million plus metro area is huge. This could also help push Ottawa if another big(relatively) team joins the hype train. 

The only positive if NASL isn't able to get to 12 teams in the next two weeks is that the CPL 2018 season, which seemed that it might possibly be put off till 2019, would be more likely guaranteed to start 2018 if FC Edmonton needs a league to play in. They won't want to sit out 2018, no point in paying USL exp fees for a year, and may also spur Ottawa to for sure join CPL as well. League would get off on a strong start with those 2 established teams joining off the bat and spur interest from others to join CPL.

3 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I've read online people saying their attendance numbers are super over inflated. Things like giving away free tickets and counting them as attendance even if they didn't show up. Just from reddit so i don't know how true it is.

Yeah, USL's RGV's numbers are inflated as well as Bethlehem's and others. The Midfield Press guy watches Bethlehem and has been to games where there's about 500 fans and its announced as 3000.

25 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

As Straus points out USL hasn't had their application for D2 sanctioning next year approved either and they have more waivers than NASL.

Charlotte of USL, who's lost multiple millions the last 2 seasons alone, moved into a smaller non D2 stadium this year.

NASL has added 2 teams and another set to go in Atlanta so one short of the 12. NASL is exploring options now to add another which may be New Orleans and meet the 12 teams and central time zone.

Atlanta isn't done yet and SF looks like it might fold, not much movement. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte move to D3. USL also wouldn't be fucked if moved back to D3 like NASL would.

2 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Atlanta isn't done yet and SF looks like it might fold, not much movement. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlotte move to D3. USL also wouldn't be fucked if moved back to D3 like NASL would.

Atlanta is apparently done, just not announced yet. 

Jax's new owner was tweeting today on owning another club if it helps the NASL. Miami FC's Da Silva, the billionaire, is another that can prop up a club like SF if needed. This was done in the early days of MLS to keep the league going until they stabalized.

Charlotte can't get out for 2018 as the USL D3 won't start until 2019 at the earliest.

Edited by CDNFootballer

6 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I think that's true of most pro teams in North America, including FCE. I'm not saying FCE should be the Whitecaps affiliate in any sense (and I think it's pretty darn likely they will be in the CPL sooner rather than later) but why make up shit?

6 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Maybe not "period", but the trend is pretty strong. Grey teams are MLS owned, average less than 1500 attendees per game. RGV FV is an outlier for sure, but so is their model

atten.png

There are several MLS-affiliated teams above FCE in these attendance standings, among then RGV, Richmond, Reno and Ottawa and USL is making a strong push to have all full reserve teams follow the RGV model of split ownership/management. There was never any talk, to my knowledge, of FCE becoming the new VWFC2, but they've often acted as a de facto affiliate in terms of loans even if there was never any formal agreement between the two teams.

Anyways, it looks very likely that FCE and the Fury will be headed to the CPL so this conversation is moot.