CPL General

7 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

They are barely affiliated with the Impact and attendance has gone down a tiny bit but I'm willing to say that's because of results. They also didn't have the option of jumping right into CPL like Edmonton because the League was still in Fetus stage then.

I know, I assume this is what FCE would do if they took over Whitecaps 2 and the drop is like 100 people which is far better than anyone expected

6 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Guys, BBTB meant an affiliate for the Caps, not the reserves. It might feel like it's the same thing but it's not, big difference.

Personally, I think the Faths will see the light of CPL, but it's good to keep in mind all the options that will be running through the Faths' heads.

It's not the same but I still don't see Fath being on board with that.

Just now, matty said:

I know, I assume this is what FCE would do if they took over Whitecaps 2 and the drop is like 100 people which is far better than anyone expected

FCE could really use the good faith or risk dropping the attendance boom they had this season. Ottawa had some more consistency with their numbers. 

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

FCE could really use the good faith or risk dropping the attendance boom they had this season. Ottawa had some more consistency with their numbers. 

FCE had a drop in 2016 after 2 seasons of 3k+ in 2014 and 2015. 2017 is their best season yet but seems like a return to form as well.
2014: 3,384
2015: 3,122
2016: 2,060
2017: 3,651
4 year average; 3,054

It seems like 2016 is the outlier there.

While I agree they'd risk making the move to USL (and shouldn't) it's unfair to assume they'd have a massive drop after moving to USL after OFFC didn't suffer one. 

5 minutes ago, matty said:

FCE had a drop in 2016 after 2 seasons of 3k+ in 2014 and 2015. 2017 is their best season yet but seems like a return to form as well.
2014: 3,384
2015: 3,122
2016: 2,060
2017: 3,651
4 year average; 3,054

It seems like 2016 is the outlier there.

While I agree they'd risk making the move to USL (and shouldn't) it's unfair to assume they'd have a massive drop after moving to USL after OFFC didn't suffer one. 

I suppose if they went to their numbers from 2014/15 it wouldn't be disastrous but a couple hundred drop is like 10% of the total attendance so even that would be pretty bad.  

Just now, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I suppose if they went to their numbers from 2014/15 it wouldn't be disastrous but a couple hundred drop is like 10% of the total attendance so even that would be pretty bad.  

I agree 10% would be a nightmare but given that OFFC avoided it I don't think it's as much of a risk anymore. Still FCE should not do the whole USL thing

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Sports Illustrated chiming in. Straus corrected himself to say 2018

As I said in the discussion in the other thread, I think the exit fee drops exponenetially if there are 1) less than 8 teams or 2) they are not D2

So not necessarily done and dusted...but on the edge again at the very least

USL is making pretty good process, 2 of the teams hurting them have fixed the problem S2 moving to Tacoma and TFC 2 moving to Lamport. They also have the potential to moves teams down to D3 if they aren't meeting the standards by then. USL looks like it could be fully ready in 2 years while NASL is still in no mans land and not making much progress.

4 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

USL is making pretty good process, 2 of the teams hurting them have fixed the problem S2 moving to Tacoma and TFC 2 moving to Lamport. They also have the potential to moves teams down to D3 if they aren't meeting the standards by then. USL looks like it could be fully ready in 2 years while NASL is still in no mans land and not making much progress.

Yeah, and Straus mentioned in his replies that even if USL is not able to meet D2 standards either, it is almost a guarantee they will be given a waiver as USSF sees them as the better choice, which is hard to argue.

Then again, I imagine that's exactly the kind of window that NASL might try to use for a lawsuit, if they have any fight left

Feels like groundhog day

Edited by Complete Homer

1 minute ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

Both teams who moved from NASL lost about 2.5% but I could see Edmonton losing more since the fans would likely be very disappointed. 

OFFC's loss is mainly cause of shit weather for the first few weeks IIRC but yea I could see FCE losing more with a jump. Thing is, given that fans are now well aware NASL is losing D2 and is unstable would they approve of a USL move now more than they did earlier this year?

Just now, matty said:

OFFC's loss is mainly cause of shit weather for the first few weeks IIRC but yea I could see FCE losing more with a jump. Thing is, given that fans are now well aware NASL is losing D2 and is unstable would they approve of a USL move now more than they did earlier this year?

I would say they approve less because of CPL, I don't think USL would be big on it either.

Been reading official NASL statements for a decent time, and I've never seen such draconian language used even during the height of Soccerwarz. Think the writing's on the wall for NASL this time, really surprised by the timing of this.

I haven't seen anything official from USSF on their twitter yet by the way. For NASL to even be addressing the Fifty-Five One report tells you quite a bit.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/09/05/nasl-issues-statement-on-us-soccer-sanctioning-decision-

7 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Been reading official NASL statements for a decent time, and I've never seen such draconian language used even during the height of Soccerwarz. Think the writing's on the wall for NASL this time, really surprised by the timing of this.

I haven't seen anything official from USSF on their twitter yet by the way. For NASL to even be addressing the Fifty-Five One report tells you quite a bit.

http://www.nasl.com/news/2017/09/05/nasl-issues-statement-on-us-soccer-sanctioning-decision-

Doesn't sound like a capitulation, but also doesn't seem like the type of thing you'd say if you had a chance to resubmit.

Then again, this is the crew that sued their own sanctioning body when they knew it was going to be a close decision to keep D2 status, so who knows

8 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

If NASL is addressing it that pretty much confirms this is happening. 

Just now, matty said:

Side Note: The NASL does include a reminder for why cities and every local government should be game to the CPL "....the thousands of jobs created by the NASL and its member clubs."

Sure but they probably will neglect to mention the dozens or hundreds of club staff members not paid for weeks or months :)

The biggest thing I can take away from NASL 2.0 is that CPL has to be launched only when it's truly ready, and to work together, though definitely never to the level of what MLS does.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Side Note: The NASL does include a reminder for why cities and every local government should be game to the CPL "....the thousands of jobs created by the NASL and its member clubs."

I mean, it also includes a reminder why helping these teams construct stadiums is a bit of a risk too. Not saying they shouldn't, but NASL folding has got to be a bit of cold water on enthusiasm for supporting startup leagues, regardless of assurances that the CPL leadership has spent years looking at why current and past leagues have failed

Edited by Complete Homer

16 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

If NASL is addressing it that pretty much confirms this is happening. 

The obvious question would be whether they can appeal and whether the NASL actually has options that make the league viable as an ongoing concern at this point or whether statements like this are like the Black Knight in Monty Python:

...the NASL remains committed to growing the game and is exploring multiple options as it continues planning for the future...

We'll have a clearer picture in a few days.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard