Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

59 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

I am also excited but I get the impression that most of these young guys are still not ready for MLS, at least not as regular starters. But I do want to see MDS integrating guys like Baldisimo into the main squad, and then blooding them at the right moments.

Because this looks to be a big rebuild with considerable roster turnover and perhaps relatively modest expectations, I think we are more likely to see this kind of academy graduate integration.  One or two guys of these guys might get into the squad rotation if the coach feels they have the chops for it.  With signings like Edgar, De Jong, and Henry, you got the feeling that the previous regime was going to rely more upon acquiring relatively experienced Cancon to fill the senior roster domestic requirements and just have the academy graduates serve marketing purposes as opposed to being real squad contributors. 

As for Baldisimo, my thoughts on him are the same that I have Colyn.  Hopefully he makes the most of his opportunities.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:50 PM, BearcatSA said:

Because this looks to be a big rebuild with considerable roster turnover and perhaps relatively modest expectations, I think we are more likely to see this kind of academy graduate integration.  One or two guys of these guys might get into the squad rotation if the coach feels they have the chops for it.  With signings like Edgar, De Jong, and Henry, you got the feeling that the previous regime was going to rely more upon acquiring relatively experienced Cancon to fill the senior roster domestic requirements and just have the academy graduates serve marketing purposes as opposed to being real squad contributors. 

As for Baldisimo, my thoughts on him are the same that I have Colyn.  Hopefully he makes the most of his opportunities.

I don't think the owners agree. They are going to want to turn this around quickly, and in MLS, that is definitely possible with a couple of quality signings. So I don't see them turning over playing time to a lot of unproven players unless they really impress and and force their way onto the field.

Baldisimo could barely get any playing time in Fresno, but we expect him break through in MLS next season?

3 hours ago, masster said:

I don't think the owners agree. They are going to want to turn this around quickly, and in MLS, that is definitely possible with a couple of quality signings. So I don't see them turning over playing time to a lot of unproven players unless they really impress and and force their way onto the field.

Baldisimo could barely get any playing time in Fresno, but we expect him break through in MLS next season?

I'm pretty sure it's Michael's older brother in Fresno, and that Michael was with the residency and the first team. 

3 hours ago, masster said:

Yeah, I have the same feeling. We have to keep in mind that the Caps MUST spend a good chunk of the Phonzy-bucks on players, and from everything I've heard from the FO it certainly appears they will spend a lot of that on bringing in some quality players for the senior squad. No, we are not going to do what TFC did with Gio-Bradley-Altidore in terms of spending, but I think the intent is to have the beginnings of a strong squad in place immediately.  While I want to see these young guys getting into the full squad, I suspect they are still a year or two away at best.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, masster said:

I don't think the owners agree. They are going to want to turn this around quickly, and in MLS, that is definitely possible with a couple of quality signings.

I think privately the FO and ownership will want to turn this around quickly, for sure, but publicly they would be wise to stick with the "underpromise/overdeliver" mantra.  You can definitely make some key changes but I think with the kind of turnover I'm anticipating (reading the internet tea leaves I'm guessing that Mezquida and Felipe are as good as gone, as well as a few other regularly featured players from last year).  Whether or not that bodes well for Baldisimo remains to be seen.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 year later...

MLS debut with the Whitecaps tonight in Montreal and damn, he played really well. Played mostly as a 6, and distributed the ball very well. Positioned himself very well defensively. I expect we will be seeing many more starts from him in the rest of the Whitecaps disastrous season. This guy should be back on our radar screen!

14 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

MLS debut with the Whitecaps tonight in Montreal and damn, he played really well. Played mostly as a 6, and distributed the ball very well. Positioned himself very well defensively. I expect we will be seeing many more starts from him in the rest of the Whitecaps disastrous season. This guy should be back on our radar screen!

Impressed with his passing off of either foot, too.  Needs to get a legitimate shot with a string of starts for the Caps instead of being sent back to the bench and replaced by veteran journeymen stopgap signings.

I saw him training once in Burnaby as I was warming up for my game. I saw some kid doing insane footwork drills out the corner of my eye so I stopped to watch. I then recognized him.It wasnt just his footwork, you may not notice cuz he's not so tall but he's built like a brick shit house

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

His passing was always his #1 attribute when he played with our  youth teams.  Other than physical stature his game is somewhat similar to Fraser?

Exactly this ^^ He has that passing in his locker (like Teibert) different type of player (certainly from early Rusty for sure) but great vision. Same as Fraser? Not sure. He was doing a good job breaking up plays and seems tenacious. He probably needs more minutes to build consistency, which was his slight downfall from the Canada games I saw. 

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Exactly this ^^ He has that passing in his locker (like Teibert) different type of player (certainly from early Rusty for sure) but great vision. Same as Fraser? Not sure. He was doing a good job breaking up plays and seems tenacious. He probably needs more minutes to build consistency, which was his slight downfall from the Canada games I saw. 

Maybe it's because they were on the field against one another, but he also resembles Piette in some ways. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Amazing goal ! He’s playing pretty well. I wonder if we might lost him and a few Canadian players to the Philippines. Canada’s midfield is just so packed right now! 

Wouldn't be too concerned about that at this point. He's been a featured player on every one of our youth teams and is now developing into an MLS-level starter which means he would be in the mix for our national team. Likely starter for our Olympic Team too. 

23 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Wouldn't be too concerned about that at this point. He's been a featured player on every one of our youth teams and is now developing into an MLS-level starter which means he would be in the mix for our national team. Likely starter for our Olympic Team too. 

I don’t know about starter for our Olympic team ? Even at Canada’s youth teams we are pretty pack at midfield. 
also you got Ben Paton, Benson Fazili, Stefan Mitrovic, Jordan Araujo, Simon Colyn, Alistair Johnston,Matis Romero and all that CPL young talent, plus Dominik Yankov*, Cammy Palmer* , Leotrim Reka* dual nationals. 

its crazy to see so many young Canadians playing all over world. It’s amazing ! It’s also crazy think really this really started to take off because of three Canadian MLS teams and their academies. Just wait when we start to beat the big boys of Concacaf and the world. At the youth level and Senior. 

9343AF7E-4A38-4175-942F-E6F1B5579B02.jpeg

It is encouraging to see us develop some prospects at centre mid.

I would expect Baldisimo to remain the Whitecaps starting No. 6 for the rest of the year and with that he would make a very strong case to start at that position for the U-23 team (with Liam Fraser starting with him in a 3-man central midfield).

From your list, Harry Paton jumps out at me as the other leading prospect as a regular starter in a pro league.

4 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

I would expect Baldisimo to remain the Whitecaps starting No. 6 for the rest of the year and with that he would make a very strong case to start at that position for the U-23 team (with Liam Fraser starting with him in a 3-man central midfield).

From your list, Harry Paton jumps out at me as the other leading prospect as a regular starter in a pro league.

I haven’t see him play but Harry’s brother Ben has been playing a lot with Blackburn U23, they play against the big boys , Man City, Liverpool etc U23 teams. Also he’s only 20 it’s a shame he hasn’t played for Canada yet! 

4 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Baldisimo will have his "growing pains" (you could see a few this evening) but his potential is clearly there and it just needs to be nurtured with playing time for the remainder of this season.  Heck, he might go through a rough patch and need to sit and watch for a match, but I hope he doesn't get sent back to the bench to make room for stopgap signings.