Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

On 11/5/2020 at 5:04 AM, LeoH037 said:

It's a bigger crime for MDS to not give Baldisimo more minutes than Vanney with Fraser. Fraser has competition, whereas Baldisimo arguably does not. He is easily the best passer in that Caps team, and he's only 20. 

I was gonna give this exact take, but I was worried it'd be too much lol. Shame he's suspended today, cause it somehow makes this game even more pointless.

• 1 month later...

I'm worried about him, but I think I'll keep it here instead of throwing out more hot takes on the camp thread. 

I think Baldisimo is our best young midfielder in the MLS, and as controversial it apparently is, I think he's more promising than Fraser or Okello. I would agree that he has more work to do than perhaps any of our prospects if he ever wants to play at a higher level. He's obviously not a big guy, he's poor defensively and he'll lose out against physical players.

But I don't think we have any prospect who does anything as well as what he's good at, that being his playmaking. If he can become adequate, even, with his defensive positioning, and maybe learns to bait people into fouls like Eustaquio to compensate for his size, I think his ceiling could be ridiculous. 

With that in mind, I just can't get over him not being at this camp. Someone said he might be injured, but I haven't found any mention of that elsewhere. I don't think there's any real argument that he's below Priso, and he would be in my starting 11 for this camp.

My worry here is that Philippines are gonna snatch him up, and that Herdman just doesn't rate him. He's closer with Vanney than anyone else, and I'm really hoping that didn't factor into this decision. I really hope we keep him, is all I'm trying to say, ha.

48 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I'm worried about him, but I think I'll keep it here instead of throwing out more hot takes on the camp thread. 

I think Baldisimo is our best young midfielder in the MLS, and as controversial it apparently is, I think he's more promising than Fraser or Okello. I would agree that he has more work to do than perhaps any of our prospects if he ever wants to play at a higher level. He's obviously not a big guy, he's poor defensively and he'll lose out against physical players.

But I don't think we have any prospect who does anything as well as what he's good at, that being his playmaking. If he can become adequate, even, with his defensive positioning, and maybe learns to bait people into fouls like Eustaquio to compensate for his size, I think his ceiling could be ridiculous. 

With that in mind, I just can't get over him not being at this camp. Someone said he might be injured, but I haven't found any mention of that elsewhere. I don't think there's any real argument that he's below Priso, and he would be in my starting 11 for this camp.

My worry here is that Philippines are gonna snatch him up, and that Herdman just doesn't rate him. He's closer with Vanney than anyone else, and I'm really hoping that didn't factor into this decision. I really hope we keep him, is all I'm trying to say, ha.

I'll be honest I think him and his brother suiting up for the Philippines is exactly what's going to happen, along with Aidan Daniels.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'll be honest I think him and his brother suiting up for the Philippines is exactly what's going to happen, along with Aidan Daniels.

Your probably right doesn't make sense he isn't at this camp. That will strengthen the phillipines alot prob. plus there goalie plays for Cardiff, saw at a prive ultralounge in edmonton when cardiff played a game in edmonton.

2 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

Your probably right doesn't make sense he isn't at this camp. That will strengthen the phillipines alot prob. plus there goalie plays for Cardiff, saw at a prive ultralounge in edmonton when cardiff played a game in edmonton.

He was with Cardiff. Etheridge is now with Birmingham City.

Maybe because Priso was playing pretty well in his cameo at 18 on a top team.  Although Baldisimo looked better though at 20 on a bottom half team.  They've both played for us as youth so I hope its not because Baldy is looking at the Philippines.  What a nice problem to have, which promising youngster on the verge of breaking into a MLS lineup should we bring with the last midfield spot?? 

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe because Priso was playing pretty well in his cameo at 18 on a top team.  Although Baldisimo looked better though at 20 on a bottom half team.  They've both played for us as youth so I hope its not because Baldy is looking at the Philippines.  What a nice problem to have, which promising youngster on the verge of breaking into a MLS lineup should we bring with the last midfield spot?? 

I’d be stunned if Baldisimo was considering Philippines this early.

20 minutes ago, jordan said:

Show us your list after a take like that

He's a 2000, so around his age we have 

Liam Fraser

Stephen Eustaquio (4 year gap isn't much)

Ralph Priso

Noble Okello

Harry Paton

Noah Verhoeven

I'm not even including guys like MAK, Piette and Osorio who probably still will be around in 2026.

Then you get into the younger guns and other who may emerge as we're on our way to 2026 as we're quickly seeing with the likes of Priso.

Should he be a part of the conversation? Absolutely, he's battling it out with the likes of Okello, Priso and Patton but realistically he isn't going to be a real factor for the next few years considering the guys we currently have doing their thing are in their mid to late twenties. So if he opts for the Philippines I wouldn't be surprised. I do believe he should have been called up to this camp though. It's odd he wasn't. Same with Theo Bair.

Edited by VinceA

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

He's a 2000, so around his age we have 

Liam Fraser

Stephen Eustaquio (4 year gap isn't much)

Ralph Priso

Noble Okello

Harry Paton

Noah Verhoeven

I'm not even including guys like MAK, Piette and Osorio who probably still will be around in 2026.

Then you get into the younger guns and other who may emerge as we're on our way to 2026 as we're quickly seeing with the likes of Priso.

Should he be a part of the conversation? Absolutely, he's battling it out with the likes of Okello, Priso and Patton but realistically he isn't going to be a real factor for the next few years considering the guys we currently have doing their thing are in their mid to late twenties. So if he opts for the Philippines I wouldn't be surprised. I do believe he should have been called up to this camp though. It's odd he wasn't. Same with Theo Bair.

Verhoeven isn’t a legit NT prospect at this point if we’re being honest, idk much abojt Paton but I’d imagine the case if the same.

I would argue that Baldisimo is better than Fraser and Okello, but Okello has the higher if not highest ceiling.

just because he’s not there doesn’t mean he’s in a dog fight. The guy has great feet and I’d take him ahead of Fraser.

I am not too concerned about Baldisimo at this point. Like most of you, I think he was the closest thing to a snub for this roster, but you also cannot take everyone. Hard to say why he didn't make the cut, but there were rumors he was not fully fit, so maybe that was it, maybe not. 

Perhaps it came down to Priso versus Baldisimo and Herdman went with the former. 

I personally think Baldisimo is a better player overall, as of today, but Priso was pretty good for Toronto down the stretch. Considering he came off the bench in the playoffs, at 18 years old, it is clear Toronto rate him. I can even imagine Herdman asking Vanney, and Vanney giving him massive praise. It's normal for national team coaches to have these types of conversations with club managers, right?

Meanwhile, I am not sure MDS would give the same feedback about Baldisimo, who he didn't seem to fully trust, even though for me he is already better than Bikel and Owusu. To be fair, MDS obviously has a different sort of pressure in Vancouver, and so he probably felt he needed their experience. That's my read on the situation.

All in all, I think Baldisimo knows he is good enough for Canada, eventually. There were times where he was Vancouver's best player. I really cannot see him selling himself short after what has to be considered a successful season. Until I hear rumors of Philippians I will not be concerned, whatsoever. 

Edited by Obinna

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Meanwhile, I am not sure MDS would give the same feedback about Baldisimo, who he didn't seem to fully trust...

I think MDS trusted Bair even less.

Since there is NO back story from Vancouver msm sports media on these camp call ups, there is a lot of conjecture out there.  For all we know, perhaps Teibert's midseason injury has needed more off season recuperation time, so hence his absence.