Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

1 minute ago, SthMelbRed said:

For the duration of this season, whatever form it may take, you won't see any new signings from overseas. Baldisimo should get every opportunity to make that position his own for the next 2-3 years. 

I don't care where the stopgap guys are from (journeymen Cancon or Americans included).  Give Baldi his due and let him run with it!

4 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Sadly, I think this is the first goal from a local kid since Dunfield opening day 2011...

Fortunately, they granted In-Beom his wish because if they didn't, Baldi would still be on the bench or in the press box hanging with Yordi Reyna.

It always grinds my gears that an area of Canada which has produced many MNT performers can't get a regular contributor on its hometown club.  That's why I have been watching Pacific FC because I get to watch BC born and developed kids get to play pro soccer (and doing well with it this year, I might add).  Except for Dunner, I think almost every Cancon player they've homegrown or purchased is not from their own backyard patch.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

They should really be calling him "the Canadian Pirlo"

I thought that was already trademarked for Bekker?  I seem to recall someone on here having something like that as their hash tag on the old Vees forum.  

But all kidding aside, I just want to see the kid get a fair shot at doing his stuff and the patience of the coaching staff in handling the downs he'll have as well as keeping him focused on improving the developing parts of his game (protecting the ball under pressure, drawing fouls if needed, reading opposing runs when defending, etc.).  That comes with regular playing time along with the practice sessions and video study.  Hopefully, he has become more durable physically.   He has a lot of great tools in the tool kit for club and maybe (a long ways down the road still) country.  

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

It always grinds my gears that an area of Canada which has produced many MNT performers can't get a regular contributor on its hometown club.  That's why I have been watching Pacific FC because I get to watch BC born and developed kids get to play pro soccer (and doing well with it this year, I might add).  Except for Dunner, I think almost every Cancon player they've homegrown or purchased is not from their own backyard patch.

But BC really hasn't produced that many MNT performers over the lat few decades.  It's f*cking embarrassing.  And while I share the sentiment that the Whitecaps have done a poor job in player development, I think BC Soccer is just as culpable.  They've clearly fallen behind compared to other parts of Canada.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

But BC really hasn't produced that many MNT performers over the lat few decades.  It's f*cking embarrassing.  And while I share the sentiment that the Whitecaps have done a poor job in player development, I think BC Soccer is just as culpable.  They've clearly fallen behind compared to other parts of Canada.

I’ve heard that selection and scouting has often been very Ontario focused as well 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps have contributed to the development of many CMNT players. It's just that a lot of them have originally come from Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario. Baldisimo and Habibullah will be Vancouver-raised regulars for us in the not-so-distant future.

36 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Whitecaps have contributed to the development of many CMNT players. It's just that a lot of them have originally come from Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario. Baldisimo and Habibullah will be Vancouver-raised regulars for us in the not-so-distant future.

Agreed, but that's why I think more of the blame needs to be falling on BC Soccer.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Agreed, but that's why I think more of the blame needs to be falling on BC Soccer.

Why do we always have to blame someone. The demographics of the lower mainland have had lot to do with it. Let's just be real. I think there are a lot of good young players coming thru now. Im surr the same can be said for other parts of the country. Lots of good players everywhere now

Edited by SpursFlu

The reality is the Whitecaps academy/development structure is the best in the country. They scout and bring players from all over the country. Just look at the extensive list of academy graduates who are playing currently. The fact is that its comes at a cost of to their local talent. However, with the a  CPL team like Pacific FC has been able to mitigate/paper over these issues. 

45 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Wasn’t Baldisimo one of the few players that stood out at the U20 CONCACAF Championships a couple years ago? I remember being very optimistic about his future after watching that tourney. Surprised it took him this long to get his chance, but I’m glad he’s taking advantage of it.

He was out injured for much of the intervening period.

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

Wasn’t Baldisimo one of the few players that stood out at the U20 CONCACAF Championships a couple years ago? I remember being very optimistic about his future after watching that tourney. Surprised it took him this long to get his chance, but I’m glad he’s taking advantage of it.

I was thinking that he appears to be the exact same player for the Caps that he was for the U20 team. His ball winning and distribution have fully translated to the MLS level. It's quite rare to see a player move up to a full men's professional level without having to make some degree of adjustments. Granted that it's a very small sample size at this point but if he can adapt to the MLS this quickly what's his ceiling as far as playing level?

2 hours ago, RS said:

Ok, you’ve piqued my curiosity. Although I’m not entirely sure I want to know your reasoning. 

Vancouver is not a very blue collar community. Tree huggers, yuppies and hipsters are not known for athletes. Maybe mountain bikers and speed walkers

If there was a league of Olympic demonstration sports Vancouver would be world champions. We're awesome shit nobody else does

Edited by SpursFlu

51 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I was thinking that he appears to be the exact same player for the Caps that he was for the U20 team. His ball winning and distribution have fully translated to the MLS level. It's quite rare to see a player move up to a full men's professional level without having to make some degree of adjustments. Granted that it's a very small sample size at this point but if he can adapt to the MLS this quickly what's his ceiling as far as playing level?

I agree with the latter part of that highlighted statement but the jury is out on the former.