Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

5 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Vancouver is not a very blue collar community. Tree huggers, yuppies and hipsters are not known for athletes. Maybe mountain bikers and speed walkers

If there was a league of Olympic demonstration sports Vancouver would be world champions. We're awesome **** nobody else does

Strange - just saw there was a video of a certain hipster couple shopping in Paris that aren't bad athletes...

16 hours ago, kacbru said:

Strange - just saw there was a video of a certain hipster couple shopping in Paris that aren't bad athletes...

Hipsters are 43 year old skinny fat dudes with neck hair and tight faded t shirts. Remember the guy in the 90s with a mullet and a sleevless Skid Row shirt? Its the new version of that

I think the couple you're referring to are 19 year olds acting like 19 year olds. I have seen Phonzie's parents many times. Im not sure if they considered themselves hipsters lol

Anyways.. just having some fun

Back to the Whitecaps new holding midfielder sensation. Burnaby's own Michael Baldisimo 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Floortom said:

Watching the match last night and was amazed at how much better Van looks with a Baldisimo in the midfield. He absolutely has to start - I have no idea what MDS is thinking

I continue to be impressed every time I see him. He holds the ball under pressure very well and somehow manages to make a long pass that unlocks the opponents’ defense. High degree of difficulty under pressure. I’m guessing MDS doesn’t totally trust him defensively yet - he sometimes looks slow to read a play. He can learn that. 

On 10/4/2020 at 10:34 AM, toontownman said:

Teibert used to spray the ball round like Baldy before Robinson coached the creativity out of him. All pass backs and easy one twos for the most part now. 

Nice analysis of the Whitecap mids and the verticality stat backs this up.  He plays a lot of of not particularly productive side and back passes.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2020/10/1/21496277/the-infernal-midfield-a-statistical-look-at-how-the-vancouver-whitecaps-stack-up

In comparison, Baldisimo's verticality is in the 75th percentile of MLS players.  He sees the field really, really well for a 20 year old player. Obviously, his passing percentage is below Teibert's but those line splitting passes leading to scoring attempts are top shelf.

I think he's probably leap frogged over Fraser for the Canadian men's but that said, Fraser is still a long shot to make the bench for an important game.  Probably the only thing Fraser has over Baldisimo right now is defensive awareness but Baldisimo is 2 years younger so that will come.

12 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

I think he's probably leap frogged over Fraser for the Canadian men's but that said, Fraser is still a long shot to make the bench for an important game.  Probably the only thing Fraser has over Baldisimo right now is defensive awareness but Baldisimo is 2 years younger so that will come.

I agree. I think you are underestimating his defensive capabilities. Especially his ability to make a defensive play, and make a key pass forward.

Ive seen Fraser dive in and win, or dive in and cause a bad foul.

Im sold on Baldy. He’s has a lot of time to grow into the modern day defensive mid.

20 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. I think you are underestimating his defensive capabilities. Especially his ability to make a defensive play, and make a key pass forward.

Ive seen Fraser dive in and win, or dive in and cause a bad foul.

i

You could be right.  He's built like a fire hydrant but moves extremely well.  Like a more dynamic Piette.

44 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Nice analysis of the Whitecap mids and the verticality stat backs this up.  He plays a lot of of not particularly productive side and back passes.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2020/10/1/21496277/the-infernal-midfield-a-statistical-look-at-how-the-vancouver-whitecaps-stack-up

In comparison, Baldisimo's verticality is in the 75th percentile of MLS players.  He sees the field really, really well for a 20 year old player. Obviously, his passing percentage is below Teibert's but those line splitting passes leading to scoring attempts are top shelf.

Very nice analysis and supports what I see when I watch Vancouver. There is no reason that Baldisimo and Bikel shouldn’t be starting besides each other every match. Tiebert and metcalfe have been wastes and owusu has some basic value as a defensive option at times.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Very nice analysis and supports what I see when I watch Vancouver. There is no reason that Baldisimo and Bikel shouldn’t be starting besides each other every match. Tiebert and metcalfe have been wastes and owusu has some basic value as a defensive option at times.

Aside from having a good motor, Tiebert doesn't add a lot to a game.

He might be useful when the Caps have a lead and he can come on in the last 10 minutes and play the Patrick Mullins role, which is basically run suicides until the ref blows the final whistle.

6 minutes ago, RS said:

With the Whitecaps hanging around the playoff line, I can see MDS continuing to play it safe and not use Baldisimo as much as he should until the team is eliminated or clinched.

Hope I'm wrong.

The irony is that benching a game-changing player is, in some ways, the opposite of playing it safe.