Michael Baldisimo

Dub Narcotic

On 12/25/2020 at 12:51 AM, Obinna said:

I personally think Baldisimo is a better player overall, as of today, but Priso was pretty good for Toronto down the stretch. Considering he came off the bench in the playoffs, at 18 years old, it is clear Toronto rate him. I can even imagine Herdman asking Vanney, and Vanney giving him massive praise. It's normal for national team coaches to have these types of conversations with club managers, right?

Only quoting this one because it was the latest to mention him, but the Priso hype train needs to come into the station for a bit.  One of the main reasons Priso got time was because TFC had no one else on the bench with all the injuries they had.  They were limping to the finish line when he started making appearances.  To his credit, he didn't look out of place for an 18 year-old, but TFC had no choice but to play him.

He may be good but he has a grand total of 158 professional minutes.  I need to see more from him before I come to grips as to why he's there and Baldisimo isn't (barring injuries).  I was really hoping he was going to be there and shocked when he was left off the list.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Only quoting this one because it was the latest to mention him, but the Priso hype train needs to come into the station for a bit.  One of the main reasons Priso got time was because TFC had no one else on the bench with all the injuries they had.  They were limping to the finish line when he started making appearances.  To his credit, he didn't look out of place for an 18 year-old, but TFC had no choice but to play him.

He may be good but he has a grand total of 158 professional minutes.  I need to see more from him before I come to grips as to why he's there and Baldisimo isn't (barring injuries).  I was really hoping he was going to be there and shocked when he was left off the list.

I feel like we're all doing some weird mental gymnastics to put Priso anywhere near Baldisimo, yeah. Whether it's just an injury, yet another dual-nat fiasco or Herdman just being closer with Vanney, it's hard to say.

I don't think there is logic leaving him out unless he is injured or club/he have requested he is left out. I assume as mentioned above he is injured.

Hasal allegedly would have been there but isnt cleared. All the other young promising players have got called. He is a different type of player to Priso so no reason to not call both.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Not Bair, a guy with a fair bit of hype around him with local fan observers.

Bair is another strange one. Didn't have the greatest season for sure, not all his fault either but has always been apart of the youth set up and peripheral full mens team. I expect he comes in if Corbeneau doesnt travel. Unless he is injured too?

I think Bair is a case of just not making the cut. Same for Schaffleburg and Tabla. Hard to say any of these guys deserve to be selected ahead of those who were called. Corbeanu made the Wolves bench 2 wks in a row now. Maybe you could make a case for dropping Nelsen, but considering his talent and trajectory, I think picking him over the others is a fair call. Flores needs to be there if he's interested, I don't think anyone would argue we should have picked Bair instead, much less Tabla or Schaffleburg.

The good news is that 3 of those guys who missed out would have been must-haves for past January camps, so our depth is growing.

5 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

TBH besides the obvious Baldisimo and Mitrovic being a dual national I really would have liked to see Julian Dunn here.  Great season with Valour and a really promising prospect at a position of need.

Big year for him. He was beastly in the CPL. I really hope he gets a chance for minutes at tfc next year. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Atiba has apparently suggested that Besiktas look into Baldisimo. I don't know anything about this source, but I'm told the one who runs it works with the club.

Atiba was a big part of them going after Larin (and Davies), so this could be interesting.

Turkish seems like one of the most inaccurate languages on Google Translate but I like the first random comment I translated: "If Atiba's chief recommended it, there is no problem. It should be taken immediately."

I'm sure after seeing how Davies and Larin are doing they'll take Atiba seriously. Baldisimo is legit, he should be able to do well at that level. He has insane passing accuracy, those mid range balls are always hit perfectly.

19 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

If Atiba keeps working for Besiktas after he retires, I wonder if he has enough influence to set up a Canadian pipeline into Turkey? Like, what if our best MLS/CPL prospects could immediately be on the radar at Besiktas? That could do more good for Canadian soccer than any individual player.

On the other hand, it’s a good business decision on the part of Besiktas.

Scouting for talent is a tough and competitive business.  It’s known that the Canadian talent pipeline is developing and its a market inefficiency.

If Atiba very judiciously starts to recommend 1 prospect every couple years; he may be uniquely positioned to help Besiktas to take advantage of this market inefficiency.  His word has credibility and each success will make his credibility even better.

2 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Atiba has apparently suggested that Besiktas look into Baldisimo. I don't know anything about this source, but I'm told the one who runs it works with the club.

Atiba was a big part of them going after Larin (and Davies), so this could be interesting.

Baldisimo was a monster Friday, he looks like he found a new gear. 

He impressed me last season and I think everyone wants to know why he didn’t play more, if he doesn’t now Dos Santos is a fool.

I didn’t know they were after Davies, but that’s high praise for Baldi. 

Hutschinson could easily work for them and recommend talent for them to grab, there’s a ton of players they could go after.

Let’s not forget Gent asked David’s agent to refer them young players from Canada.

the only thing hindering baldisimo is his ability to play a full 90, seems like he cramps up almost every game by the 75th or 80th minute mark (out of his 13 appearances for the caps last year, only 4 of them were for the whole game)

other than that he's a gem of a player

Edited by saladroit

10 minutes ago, saladroit said:

the only thing hindering baldisimo is his ability to play a full 90, seems like he cramps up almost every game by the 75th or 80th minute mark (out of his 13 appearances for the caps last year, only 4 of them were for the whole game)

other than that he's a gem of a player

Yea but I wonder how much of that was a MDS thing because I’m not sure he’s fully trusting MB.

49 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Yea but I wonder how much of that was a MDS thing because I’m not sure he’s fully trusting MB.

He did cramp up in the OQ game though.

We are are out of season and it was sunny and 29°C+ and at altitude but still... he seemed to be 95% match fit when he needs to be 100%.

Obviously a gem of a player when on his game though.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He did cramp up in the OQ game though.

We are are out of season and it was sunny and 29°C+ and at altitude but still... he seemed to be 95% match fit when he needs to be 100%.

Obviously a gem of a player when on his game though.

When your a box to box player...you gotta be 100% fit. But this is a big ask considering your last game was 5 months ago.

If Atiba is recommending him that is pretty unreal. It’s not like he’s an Ontario boy or they’ve been in camps together or anything. How would atiba even have an angle on him? 

I can’t imagine him being up at 12 am watching MLS games in Turkey either. Someone’s told him about Baldisimo no doubt and he’s looked into him. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

If Atiba keeps working for Besiktas after he retires, I wonder if he has enough influence to set up a Canadian pipeline into Turkey? Like, what if our best MLS/CPL prospects could immediately be on the radar at Besiktas? That could do more good for Canadian soccer than any individual player.

I heard he doesn't speak Turk though, I wonder if that would affect his chances in the organization.

Besiktas play with three central midfielders. It’s typically Atiba, Josef de Souza and one of Adem Ljajic or Barnard Mensah. I haven't been hugely impressed with either of those two and I could see Baldisimo’s vision and distribution being an upgrade in that position. I'd like to see him establish himself as a starter in the MLS before making the jump though.