CPL Stadium Thread

If you guys haven't seen "The class of 92: Out of Their League" yet, I highly recommend checking it out on netflix... But for the unaware, it follows Salford City FC as their new owners, Man U's class of 92 try to bring them into the football league. They have basically created a brand new stadium in less than a year and it is beautiful and although perhaps a bit small for the CPL as it is only 5000 capacity and we'll hope to allow clubs some growing room from the needed 5000 fans, it is perfect in almost every other way and I would be delighted if Halifax eventually had something similar. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/salford-city-stadium-progressing-rapid-9791889 

On 10/13/2017 at 12:35 PM, Blackjack15 said:

I would rather have a CPL team in Victoria than Surrey, they need to distance themselves from Vancouver and The Whitecaps. In the 3 big markets there won't be and shouldn't be competition 

The big 3 markets are plenty big for a CPL clubs to be alongside the MLS teams, its really a must for a Division 1 league to be in these media markets to be successful in the long run imho. They need to distance themselves of course and Surrey would be fine, Burnaby's Swangard Stadium would be riskier as they're about 15-20 minutes from BC Place. Markets like Kelowna, Kamploops, Prince George would be better suited for a future CPL2 league.

CPL has serious interest as we know now in greater Vancouver so that's great for the league. Victoria should have club in CPL as well though.

Edited by CDNFootballer

19 hours ago, BradMack said:

If you guys haven't seen "The class of 92: Out of Their League" yet, I highly recommend checking it out on netflix... But for the unaware, it follows Salford City FC as their new owners, Man U's class of 92 try to bring them into the football league. They have basically created a brand new stadium in less than a year and it is beautiful and although perhaps a bit small for the CPL as it is only 5000 capacity and we'll hope to allow clubs some growing room from the needed 5000 fans, it is perfect in almost every other way and I would be delighted if Halifax eventually had something similar. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/salford-city-stadium-progressing-rapid-9791889 

I suspect that twenty years from now it will be like Nene Park of Rushden and Diamonds or a rugby league team like Swinton will be using it given Salford is traditionally rugby league territory as that is what tends to happen with small clubs that have a meteoric rise a rich guy's play thing in a UK context (Gretna would be the Scottish example but they never got around to building a stadium although they talked about it), but that stadium and the similar one built by FCUM are definitely not bad templates for what could be done in one of the smaller Canadian markets like Saskatoon if somebody with deep enough pockets got involved. Key is to keep capacity reasonably close to what you can conceivably usually draw as nothing kills the atmosphere and makes a game look like bush league level North American soccer like the acres of empty seats you see on an Ottawa Fury youtube clip.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

On 10/14/2017 at 6:56 PM, Mike Thompson said:

In BC, what's another strong market besides Victoria? Not including the Vancouver metropolitan area

Kewlona maybe? Kamloops? Prince George? 

Kamloops as a sadium facility at the university, the BC lions use it for the training camp every year. The infrastructure with respect to parking and access would not be good for any significant amount of people. And while Kamloops is a town that has lots of participation in local youth soccer, it is not soccer sport town, it would not support a major soccer team. It is a redneck town, and rednecks don't support no soccer. 

Kelowna on the other hand, if someone thinks it's big enough, could have enough viable fans to support a team. They have a stadium that could be upgraded and enough space to make a parkade if they wanted. 

I would actually say Kelowna is a much better market than Kamploops. The corridor from Vernon down to Penticton is growing at a much faster rate than the Kamloops area. Also something not taken in to account when looming at population, the Okanagan doubles in population during the summer months because tourism is so big in the area. It would probably be the best away trip for supporters and is already packed with prairie people june-sept anyways

On 2017-10-24 at 8:33 PM, Complete Homer said:

I wonder what the lifespan of the stadium is predicted to be

This has been my concern from day 1. Empire lasted just over a year I believe. This one is projected to be used for 4 years. Everything I have seen has been for that short span of time. I imagine that the club likely already owns the land which keeps a bit of the cost down but I don't think that is likely the case for CPL clubs as they are just starting and will have to purchase land or build on municipal lands. I imagine a stadium would take up something close to 5- 8 acres from what I've read. So add that into the 14 million (in 2010-2011) that Empire cost and adjust according to the market and inflation . 

6 hours ago, Pierce Lang said:

This has been my concern from day 1. Empire lasted just over a year I believe. This one is projected to be used for 4 years. Everything I have seen has been for that short span of time. I imagine that the club likely already owns the land which keeps a bit of the cost down but I don't think that is likely the case for CPL clubs as they are just starting and will have to purchase land or build on municipal lands. I imagine a stadium would take up something close to 5- 8 acres from what I've read. So add that into the 14 million (in 2010-2011) that Empire cost and adjust according to the market and inflation . 

IIRC, there was an article that mentioned quite a long life expectancy for the Sask stadium, in the teens at least. Can't remember the specific number. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 9:25 PM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I know people are in doubt about Toronto and have even further doubts about Lamport but they are replacing artificial pitch prior to the Wolfpack's home matches in 2018. Not sure if the markings will be permanent. 

I'm pretty sure TFC 2 is confirmed to be moving there

On 10/31/2017 at 11:23 AM, Pierce Lang said:

Where did you see this was for 4 years? I imagine they will make the Saskatoon stadium semi-permanent with concrete foundation(not the stands). Think MapFre http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/usa/columbus_crew_stadium but with modulur parts and smaller. I could be wrong but it lasting 20 years doesn't seem impossible.

14 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

They are but what would stop another a club from playing there? TFC only manage the bubble in the winter. Much like the Wolfpack, a CPL club could rent it as well. 

3 teams playing on one surface would be a lot of wear, but it is possible. i wonder if anyone is going to put money into improving Lamport now that it will have 2 Pro teams there for at least a year.

1 hour ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

german 4th division

Top class stadiums

To be fair, some of those are stadiums for Bundesliga/2.Bundesliga teams who have their 2nd team playing in the Regionalliga, which I think skews what you're gunning for.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

City Centre close to the Skytrain is the best choice. Easy access for the whole Metro Area

Actually zero access for anyone from the Fraser Valley. I'm sure Vancouver people would enjoy if the Caps and this team were to play but zero help to the team' actual fan base

In 5 years yes when the lrt is built but right now I think it's a little premature for a stadium dt

Edited by SpursFlu

5 hours ago, matty said:

Cloverdale Fairgrounds, Bridgeview and City Centre have been identified by the city as possible locations for the new stadium.

Bridgeview was where the hockey arena was proposed for as well.

Councillor Hayne said other bids might also be on the table. He said city staff will take the next six weeks to evaluate the submissions.

Who conceivably would bid for something like this other than the CanPL group. NWSL or the BC Lions? Minor league baseball? Think that's a bit of a stretch.