CPL Stadium Thread

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

This point doesn't hold for stadium capacity. Almost all teams have some sort of steep discount or occasional giveaways for youth players - it's how you draw in fans for life. You should be building capacity with those in mind

And again, I know this point has been used for over a year, but we've never had any evidence that those tickets grossly warp the attendance numbers. I really doubt there's thousands of youth players at each game

One of the authors of Soccernomics has stated that his MLS sources suggest that 30% of ALL tickets "sold" league wide  actually generate no revenue (i.e. are give aways), so the numbers can be pretty large. But really, as you say, what does it matter? Whether the ticket is purchased, or given away, you still need a seat for the bum.

http://www.soccernomics-agency.com/?p=692

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The other problem with using Ottawa's announced numbers as being indicative of anything is that they are giving away free tickets through local youth clubs and other accompanying children and adults get in on a significant discount as part of a long term marketing strategy.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/OttawaFuryreachouttoyouthwithfreetickets.aspx

http://furyfanatics.com/fanatic-faqs/#1491846783596-c6860f16-06a2

FC Edmonton provides a better yardstick for what happens when people have to actually pay to get in and freebies are not being consistently used to generate inflated announced numbers. Being limited to a 5000 capacity has yet to be an issue there and it has taken many years for them to build to the point that crowds are in the 3500-4000 range.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.557171,-113.4783296,306m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Tom Fath admitted he had no idea how to run a soccer team and made a lot of mistakes. After just over a year with someone knowledgeable in charge they're now selling out. Please stop using their troubles as the measuring stick for every other Canadian city. 

20 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

You seriously think that a K-W team that is currently struggling to break 500 in PDL is likely to have a problem any time soon because 5000 seats would be too small for them? 

Yes.

500 per game it's actually a pretty good number for PDL. 

My impression is that as a PDL club, KWU is not a huge priority for Barry. He has other business to attend to. The clubs front office currently is 2 people! They're great people doing the best they can but it is what it is. 

From the way Barry talks about CPL, I have no doubt this will be vastly different when they make the jump. They are building a SSS and it will need more than 5000 seats. There is a big market for pro soccer in KW, they just need something worthwhile to cheer for. 

Edited by Alex D

No he doesn't. Now can we get back to the subject matter of the thread? That cemetery plot looks ideal to me in location terms and with suitable access (the main sticking point), there's no problem putting a pop-up in there on a Halifax sort of scale. If what Rollins claimed was accurate (his track record is mixed at best), I strongly suspect the location would be there rather than the parking lot at the intersection. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

11 hours ago, shamrock said:

But they have a fantastic stadium that guarantees you a prime experience. I'm willing to bet what (if ever) KW plans to built won't come anywhere near TD place.

TD place is a nice CFL stadium but watching soccer in a mostly empty stadium isn't most people's ideal game day experience.

46 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

No he doesn't. Now can we get back to the subject matter of the thread? That cemetery plot looks ideal to me in location terms and with suitable access (the main sticking point), there's no problem putting a pop-up in there on a Halifax sort of scale. If what Rollins claimed was accurate (his track record is mixed at best), I strongly suspect the location would be there rather than the parking lot at the intersection. Will be interesting to see what unfolds.

The cemetery plot doesn't have enough space, I don't see why you don't get that.

20 hours ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

TD place is a nice CFL stadium but watching soccer in a mostly empty stadium isn't most people's ideal game day experience.

You ever watched a Fury game at TD Place? I'm gonna guess by the statement above that you never have.

Most of the 4-7,000 fans that watch the game are confined/restricted to the lower half of the south side, and only since last year or so have they opened up a sliver of the lower half of the north side.

The renovated TD Place/Lansdowne has been a godsend to Ottawa football, both codes of em. Try telling us about an ideal gameday experience in Ottawa after you've experienced it firsthand for once.

To relate it to the rest of the thread, the CFL/CPL partnership is a massive boon to CPL, due in big part to the CFL stadiums available to the CPL clubs. The familiarity that fans have with the stadiums from following CFL and the amenities, this will all help massively in attracting the casual fans outside of this board.

Edited by ironcub14

On 2017-07-29 at 4:17 PM, Complete Homer said:

Was the Ottaw Fury not averaging ~500 as a PDL team? Now averaging ~5500 just a few years into its professional history. KW isn't an identical market to Ottawa, but not completely unreasonable to think that they could outgrow 5000 well before the of a stadium's lifecycle 

On 2017-07-30 at 2:45 AM, shamrock said:

But they have a fantastic stadium that guarantees you a prime experience. I'm willing to bet what (if ever) KW plans to built won't come anywhere near TD place.

Both very good points. Any Fury fan in Ottawa can tell you that, if the 2017 Fury were still playing at Algonquin, where they played PDL, or at Carleton, where they played the first half of its NASL debut season, with its metal bleachers and zero amenities, the team wouldn't average 2,000 in attendance.

Modular stadiums are nice, but don't knock the CFL stadiums or underestimate its importance in attracting casual sports fans.

5 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

You ever watched a Fury game at TD Place? I'm gonna guess by the statement above that you never have.

Most of the 4-7,000 fans that watch the game are confined/restricted to the lower half of the south side, and only since last year or so have they opened up a sliver of the lower half of the north side.

The renovated TD Place/Lansdowne has been a godsend to Ottawa football, both codes of em. Try telling us about an ideal gameday experience in Ottawa after you've experienced it firsthand for once.

To relate it to the rest of the thread, the CFL/CPL partnership is a massive boon to CPL, due in big part to the CFL stadiums available to the CPL clubs. The familiarity that fans have with the stadiums from following CFL and the amenities, this will all help massively in attracting the casual fans outside of this board.

Look I'm sure it's a fine venue, didn't mean to offend anyone. My best friend who goes to school at UOttawa said the stadium experience wasn't very good so I'm going off that. There's a reason people want nice intimate venues where all the fans are close to the pitch, having large stadiums largely empty is a turn off for a lot of people. 

4 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Both very good points. Any Fury fan in Ottawa can tell you that, if the 2017 Fury were still playing at Algonquin, where they played PDL, or at Carleton, where they played the first half of its NASL debut season, with its metal bleachers and zero amenities, the team wouldn't average 2,000 in attendance.

Modular stadiums are nice, but don't knock the CFL stadiums or underestimate its importance in attracting casual sports fans.

Modular != pop-up. This is Modular, being built now, http://www.zja.nl/en/page/1562/stadium-fc-dordrecht636_3000_2000.jpg()(C3BE24C741C78A5B39B4And this is a pop-up C5w6O5yU0AUxaD7.jpg

If the CanPL is to succeed, and fans willing, it will, it will need access to more than LCF stadiums. In my opinion, partnering with university or collège (or Cégep) stadiums makes the most sense in the short term – just like the Ottawa Fury did in their inaugural season.

In Moncton, they would have to use the Université de Moncton stadium, which has hosted les jeux de la Francophonie before, and the FIFA Women’s World Cup. It seats 12,000. Likewise, Stade Telus at Université Laval in Québec only seats 12,000, but has hosted the Vanier Cup several times, and it is (reasonably) central to the city core.  

If a team comes to Trois-Rivières, Chicoutimi, Gatineau, Sudbury or Sherbrooke; they’ll find themselves in a similar situation, with the only stadiums available, with sufficient capacity, transit access and parking, being the ones at local universities. Of those 5 markets (of more than 200k people), there are already stadiums with 4k capacity at all those universities. 

The problem is that most of those have permanent football gridiron markings on fieldturf and some didn't leave the extra space needed to provide the extra width needed for a pro level soccer field (as attitudes to soccer can still be quite hostile sometimes amongst the Canadian football fraternity). The way to potentially address that is with systems like Nexxturf tiles that can be installed on top of the football gridiron and even portions of adjacent running track (Rayo Oklahoma provide a recent example), but what is not clear is how viable that would be in parts of the year when the seasons overlap (this will include the end of the season when the champion is being decided and interest should be at its highest ) and it's worth bearing in mind that the stadium being kept off limits for pro soccer could also start to conflict with intramural sports.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Is that more of a problem with university stadiums, or with LCF stadiums? Both have suffered from the issue of gridiron lines on the pitch. The only stadiums that are immune are soccer specific stadiums, of which only one exists in the entire country – Stade Saputo in Montréal. I mean, even BMO in Toronto shares the field with the Argos, and has been torn up before a soccer match due to football.

I cannot see their being too much conflict with the intramurals, since all of those universities mentioned (except Université de Montréal, Collège Montmorency) have alternative fields right next door, or an indoor fieldhouse. Additionally, the university would benefit from the rents accrued from the CanPL, which might make a lot of administrators salivate at the prospect of increased revenue. That’s principally the reason why Université de Moncton has hosted Allouete’s and Argos games in the past.

4 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

If the CanPL is to succeed, and fans willing, it will, it will need access to more than LCF stadiums. In my opinion, partnering with university or collège (or Cégep) stadiums makes the most sense in the short term – just like the Ottawa Fury did in their inaugural season.

In Moncton, they would have to use the Université de Moncton stadium, which has hosted les jeux de la Francophonie before, and the FIFA Women’s World Cup. It seats 12,000. Likewise, Stade Telus at Université Laval in Québec only seats 12,000, but has hosted the Vanier Cup several times, and it is (reasonably) central to the city core.  

If a team comes to Trois-Rivières, Chicoutimi, Gatineau, Sudbury or Sherbrooke; they’ll find themselves in a similar situation, with the only stadiums available, with sufficient capacity, transit access and parking, being the ones at local universities. Of those 5 markets (of more than 200k people), there are already stadiums with 4k capacity at all those universities. 

As long as they can cover the football marking for the games then it's fine. I think 12k is more than enough Capacity for CPL, and the league would be very stupid to not be looking for a Québec ownership group. 

(BTW like the Franco-Ontarian flag profile picture, makes me think of home)

• 2 weeks later...

Since there's been no official movement but lots of argument here do you non KW people want me to give you a tour of the rumored downtown locations? I've got nothing to do so i figured I could show you guys the locations, with the amount of work done there recently google maps/earth doesn't show what it actually looks like.

Alright, I made a bit of a different video than what I originally said, however I still plan to do what I said I would. Sadly the video quality isn't great but I'll work on that for the main video I planned(I think I'll do it friday or next week). Anyways it should be up tonight and I'll throw up a link, hope it's informative/interesting. 

• 4 weeks later...