CPL Stadium Thread

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Bit skeptical that the hospital and Sun Life Financial would want/allow that to happen. The playing field behind CTV Kitchener looks like an easier to do possibility to me, but I have no local knowledge on this.

In cases like this, the city would ultimetely have the last say. Look at what happened downtown Toronto. Anyone who tried to hold on to their parking lots lost. It's better for the city to have that land being used and get higher tax revenues from it than leave it as is

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

In cases like this, the city would ultimetely have the last say. Look at what happened downtown Toronto. Anyone who tried to hold on to their parking lots lost. It's better for the city to have that land being used and get higher tax revenues from it than leave it as is

yeah but I mean if it's the main parking lot next to a hospital...I don't see how that gets taken away for a soccer field..

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I don't know, hospitals swing a big stick in situations like this. Only way I see it being sold (if it's owned by the hospital foundation) would be if they had already planned to build a parking garage and were just freeing up capital

Edited by Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

I don't know, hospitals swing a big stick in situations like this. Only way I see it being sold (if it's owned by the hospital foundation) would be if they had already planned to build a parking garage and were just freeing up capital

If the city wants the land for other use, not much the hospital can do about it however, this land won't be cheap. Since the city has a viable urban plan, there's no way they keep that parking lot the way it is for much longer. Underground parking with the stadium on top could be a solution for all party to be happy

59 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Maybe it's not the literal location,maybe the area like the park as BBTB suggested.  I'm sure one of the GRU people will chime in at some point to clarify

The big advantage of using a municipal park is that you don't need to buy it to install a pop-up and there is no land use change involved if existing users could still be catered to when the pro team isn't playing their games.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

If the city wants the land for other use, not much the hospital can do about it however, this land won't be cheap. Since the city has a viable urban plan, there's no way they keep that parking lot the way it is for much longer. Underground parking with the stadium on top could be a solution for all party to be happy

There's definitely things they can do about it, it's a health and safety concern to eliminate hospital staff parking without a viable alternative.

I'm not exactly sure of the normal channels of challenge that kind of decision, but if the city council was that irresponsible and the situation escalated, one of the LHIN's medical officers can effectively override any local authority if they judge it to an unsafe situation. Usually those sorts of powers are only used in emergencies since it rarely gets to that point, just indicating that the hospital definitely has ways to stop it if it is deemed to be unsafe by the medical officer

2 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I can't wait to see the cheering, boisterous fans and the grieving families meet in the underground parking lot.

That will go over like a lead balloon.

If the hospital gets extra parking revenue, I doubt they'd care

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

Rollins was talking about the positive effect CPL could have on CFL and dropped this KW nugget in a reply 

I've seen this mentioned but if you take out the only large parking in the area where do people park for sunlife and the Hospital,not to mention the stadium.

6 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

I've seen this mentioned but if you take out the only large parking in the area where do people park for sunlife and the Hospital,not to mention the stadium.

underground. That's what happened to downtown Toronto

Edited by Ansem

2 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

yeah but I mean if it's the main parking lot next to a hospital...I don't see how that gets taken away for a soccer field..

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Maybe it's not the literal location,maybe the area like the park as BBTB suggested.  I'm sure one of the GRU people will chime in at some point to clarify

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

There's definitely things they can do about it, it's a health and safety concern to eliminate hospital staff parking without a viable alternative.

I'm not exactly sure of the normal channels of challenge that kind of decision, but if the city council was that irresponsible and the situation escalated, one of the LHIN's medical officers can effectively override any local authority if they judge it to an unsafe situation. Usually those sorts of powers are only used in emergencies since it rarely gets to that point, just indicating that the hospital definitely has ways to stop it if it is deemed to be unsafe by the medical officer

Just to let all you know there's a hospital parking garage on the other side of the hospital.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

underground. That's what happened to downtown Toronto

There's a parking garage right beside this but it's not enough for the area. Also don't think the city would want 2 expensive projects beside each other when they just finished a billion dollar project.

6 minutes ago, ReedOnTheGrand said:

There's a parking garage right beside this but it's not enough for the area. Also don't think the city would want 2 expensive projects beside each other when they just finished a billion dollar project.

I thought the LRT was paid by the province.

Sure it's investment to buy the parking lots but they could ultimately have more parking space and collect extra revenue from whatever is built on top of it.

3 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

The hospital might not care, but the politicians certainly would.

yes but burying that parking lot in multi-underground floors, you can actually increase the overall parking revenues and make extra tax revenues on whoever is on top of that lot. It's already being done downtown Toronto

Might not be the CPL Stadium but something will get built there sooner rather than later

Edited by Ansem

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I thought the LRT was paid by the province.

Sure it's investment to buy the parking lots but they could ultimately have more parking space and collect extra revenue from whatever is built on top of it.

The region payed just over 1/3 but also has the running costs(good portion will be paid by fares). 

It's not even the money at this point, they've spent all their "polical influence" as far as big construction goes right now. People are sick of downtown being in constant construction and 2 major projects on King will likely be really unpopular.