2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

lol you couldn't resist adding that last part.

Seeing it live raises the impact, and IMO, because you don't have instant replay, forces you to recreate it in your head. Also: we had to beat W Bremen to go through to the knock-out stage, it was a critical win.

I was also in the stands, almost the same spot too, for the game played at five past midnight a few years earlier, at 00:05, the day Ronaldinho did the famous pass off his back:

In any case, Victor Vazquez played his first Champions exactly two years later, also last game group stage, vs. Shaktar Donetsk. Truth is no one remembers him at Camp Nou, he never got a chance.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree that Spencer looked like he was in way above hie level.Most of the time looked like he was lost and didn't know which way to turn. Ricketts was really frustrated by him and the rest of the team avoided passing the ball to him. My thought is that starting was him was to motivate Hamilton and that was the reason then it worked. Hamilton was a beast when he came in. Didn't stop running the whole time he was in.

It was also great to see the ovation that Osorio got when he scored. I think the whole stadium was relieved that it finally went right for him.

Missed the 1st half, but glad to hear Spencer wasn't up to it. Give him credit though he did well to win that 1 on 1 ball battle to setup the 2nd goal.

Hamilton, good on ya young man. Great juke and pass to setup Osorio and nice finishing with that well directed header on the 5th goal.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Did anyone else turn the sound off after halftime.  Stevie Caldwell fawning over Spencer, his life story his relationship with Vanney since he was 15, his recovery from surgery...blah blah blah.  Then Vic gives Spencer the halftime sideline interview.  I almost stopped watching.  

I'm glad I didnt as I got to see Hamilton spring Osorio for a beauty (his first of season) and nice header finish on a all-canadian goal from and Edwards cross.  All that in 30min. 

You won't want to read Larson's article in the Sun either.  More fawning over Spencer(I agree he made one good play, but looked overwhelmed mostly) while attributing Osorio and Hamilton goals to Columbus already hanging their heads and giving up the ghost.

I couldn't make the game, but watched on TV.  I would like to think it is just squad rotation.  I wish no ill will on Spencer, but there is no comparison to Hamilton. 

Does anyone know why Higuain and Meram got subbed off? I was watching at a bar with the sound off. They wouldn't turn it on cuz someone might walk in who's not interested in soccer!  I'm still bitter about it. But anyways, from the video I couldn't figure out why Higuain / Meram, their 2 best players got subbed so early in the game. They looked healthy. Was a pretty cold, non-handshake, with the coach as they left the field too ........

39 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Does anyone know why Higuain and Meram got subbed off? I was watching at a bar with the sound off. They wouldn't turn it on cuz someone might walk in who's not interested in soccer!  I'm still bitter about it. But anyways, from the video I couldn't figure out why Higuain / Meram, their 2 best players got subbed so early in the game. They looked healthy. Was a pretty cold, non-handshake, with the coach as they left the field too ........

Ya I still don't understand why Meram expecially , was taken off, he came off pretty early when it was still 1-0 or maybe 2-0 but the game was still in reach . They took off their most dangerous player so early in the game and he was not injured, Meram has been one of the best players in the league so far this year. Moreover, even taking off Higuain was a bone head decision by their coach Berhalter, I would have kept both players on together until the game was out of reach. Wow a bar refuses to put the volume up in case the non soccer fan gets offended lol, only in North America and its 2017, was that bar in the Toronto area by any chance?

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

Hamilton was playing with a lot of confidence! He was trying some creative things and getting some success. I want to see more of that from him.

He just better be careful with his creativity, Mo Babouli had a back heel pass that didn't come off and it eventually lead to a goal for the opponents several defensive mistakes later, Vanney was so pissed he never played for TFC again and was replaced on the roster by Spencer!

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

You won't want to read Larson's article in the Sun either.  More fawning over Spencer(I agree he made one good play, but looked overwhelmed mostly) while attributing Osorio and Hamilton goals to Columbus already hanging their heads and giving up the ghost.

I couldn't make the game, but watched on TV.  I would like to think it is just squad rotation.  I wish no ill will on Spencer, but there is no comparison to Hamilton. 

Squad rotation for sure, but why is he even on the squad??  7-8 games for TFC2, no goals.  Hamilton has 4 MLS goals and a couple CCL goals, he should be miles ahead of Spencer when it comes to playing time.  Hundal has done more at TFC2 than Spencer.  If we are looking at someone to fill in as a 5th option as a striker, why not try Edwards.  And did anyone else notice the 5'9 LB Francis beating the 6'5 Spencer on 50/50 headers several times??  Its ridiculous to sign a guy who has done almost nothing in USL, cant use his height advantage and is slow.  What is he bringing to the table, soft feet as Caldwell (monotone mr mumbles) professed? Why am I so mad when the team is winning....I think I need a drink.

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Squad rotation for sure, but why is he even on the squad??  

My guess is because he is Vanney's boy.  Vanney stuck his neck out to bring him in, so he is playing him.  Same reason Endoh is still getting minutes despite there being no tangible reason I could see for playing him.  He was drafted by the team's current administration.  They will give him every chance to succeed before they admit an error and let him go.

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Squad rotation for sure, but why is he even on the squad??  7-8 games for TFC2, no goals.  Hamilton has 4 MLS goals and a couple CCL goals, he should be miles ahead of Spencer when it comes to playing time.  Hundal has done more at TFC2 than Spencer.  If we are looking at someone to fill in as a 5th option as a striker, why not try Edwards.  And did anyone else notice the 5'9 LB Francis beating the 6'5 Spencer on 50/50 headers several times??  Its ridiculous to sign a guy who has done almost nothing in USL, cant use his height advantage and is slow.  What is he bringing to the table, soft feet as Caldwell (monotone mr mumbles) professed? Why am I so mad when the team is winning....I think I need a drink.

They realized they need a second target man if they want to keep their shape when Altidore is out. He might be a Vanney pet project, but he's 6'4 and already in the system. 

The signing was a bit dubious but it has some internal logic 

10 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

They realized they need a second target man if they want to keep their shape when Altidore is out. He might be a Vanney pet project, but he's 6'4 and already in the system. 

The signing was a bit dubious but it has some internal logic 

Except he can't play as a target man. They even pointed that out during the broadcast. 

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

This is typically of sports media in Canada - lost of fawning and fluff pieces of the latest new player on the team especially if he has a good backstory. In the MLS, it usually mistakenly reserved for top draft picks as if they he will become a star player for the team. So, the fawning over Spencer was strange given he hasn't proved anything anywhere he has played and can't even be described as a late bloomer.

In other news, at the time of typing this, Edwards is now 5th in MLS in assists. Tied with a bunch of others with 5 but he has played fewer minutes so wins that particular typebreaker.

If he was American no doubt Larson would have already started the rookie of the year campaign for him.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

In other news, at the time of typing this, Edwards is now 5th in MLS in assists. Tied with a bunch of others with 5 but he has played fewer minutes so wins that particular typebreaker.

If he was American no doubt Larson would have already started the rookie of the year campaign for him.

I heard Edwards isn't eligible for rookie of the year this year because he subbed in for 2 minutes in a league game last year?  Anyone else hear the same?

14 hours ago, to70 said:

It was also great to see the ovation that Osorio got when he scored. I think the whole stadium was relieved that it finally went right for him.

Great to hear the crowd appreciates him. I hope he can solve his finishing and put the sitters in the back of the net. He has all the other tools and attacks the 18 with some wicked dribbles.

Could understand the hate for Ben Spencer if TFC II were scoring lots of goals at the moment and there were obvious deserving HGP contenders for moving up, but as things stand he is there as a cheap back up option to Altidore in terms of being a target man until they can figure out something better. Not something to lose sleep over when so many young Canadian players are doing so well at the moment and are playing a huge part in providing strength in depth that is the envy of the entire league.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Could understand the hate for Ben Spencer if TFC II were scoring lots of goals at the moment and there were obvious deserving HGP contenders for moving up, but as things stand he is there as a cheap back up option to Altidore in terms of being a target man until they can figure out something better. Not something to lose sleep over when so many young Canadian players are doing so well at the moment and are playing a huge part in providing strength in depth that is the envy of the entire league.

No, seriously, fuck Ben Spencer.

10 hours ago, TRM said:

Great to hear the crowd appreciates him. I hope he can solve his finishing and put the sitters in the back of the net. He has all the other tools and attacks the 18 with some wicked dribbles.

And to be fair, in today's Toronto Sun article, Larson praises Osorio's finish on the fourth goal.

Archived