2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, shermanator said:

I fear this is another Bono / Roberts scenario, where the more proven Canadian talent loses out on a first team opportunity in favour of an unproven American one.

I have a hard time believing that this isn't exactly the case!

On 2017-04-21 at 4:12 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I mentioned in this in the Babouli thread in the national team players forum, this is my fear as well, and will make me even angrier if this should happen. If Ben Spencer has been tearing it up for TFC II that would be one thing to dump a young Canadian attacker in favour of him but he hasn't even scored yet at that level. Yet I get the feeling the dumping of Babouli at this stage is to make way for his signing to the first team.

Looks like you were bang on GL!

What can he see in Spencer??  Did he score 3 MLS goals last year? Has he scored a brace in the Can Championship?  8 more in USL play over the past few years?  ARGHH!!! And Spencer is a year older than Hamilton.  If I hear some sort of BS "6'5 holdup expert, blah blah blah" I will scream.  

Lol, that's why I no longer watch MLS. Hamilton is being wasted big time in TFC organization. Most likely CPL bound on loan and once his contract is hope, he will have some serious soul-searching to do...resign with TFC and hope for the best or take a CPL contract and play every games...

Who makes these schedules at MLS? 48 hours is way too short for recovery. Not to mention WITH travel to the west coast. If Vanney chooses the same players it will be extremely hard for TFC to get out of Seattle with a result. 

2 hours ago, shamrock said:

Who makes these schedules at MLS? 48 hours is way too short for recovery. Not to mention WITH travel to the west coast. If Vanney chooses the same players it will be extremely hard for TFC to get out of Seattle with a result. 

Larson reported that none of Giovinco, Zavaletta, Vazquez or Beitashour made the trip to Seattle.

17 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Larson reported that none of Giovinco, Zavaletta, Vazquez or Beitashour made the trip to Seattle.

Ugh, this means that we will probably see Endoh as a wingback on the right.

This is probably the worst scheduling the team has ever faced and frankly even before I saw your post, I was thinking I'd be happy with a draw. Now I'll be ecstatic. Even playing this game at 8pm Seattle time would have been a lot better. This is effectivley two games in 2.5 days with a west coast trip in the middle of it. By 5pm eastern time TFC will have played two of the league's last four games - how the hell did they accept that when they approved the schedule?

Edwards having his usual solid game and Chapman has been outstanding.  I would guess we will see two more Canadians later in the game if the score holds.  I don't know if it is infuriating or rewarding watching Chapman play so well.  It's great that the team is playing really well with him in there and without so many starters, but in spite of his quality can't ever see Vanney replacing any of the usual midfield.  Also leaves Osorio riding the bench for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

This team is very good. If Chapman is going to play more its at the expense of Osorio. Same with Hamilton and Ricketts.

Bittersweet moment when you realize it is one Canadian taking playing time from another but that is the way pro sports are.

On 3/16/2017 at 8:48 AM, Gian-Luca said:

TFC has re-signed Nick Hagglund (news which would have looked better at the end of last season rather than after the Philly game)...

On 3/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, shermanator said:

More commitment from TFC to mediocre American players. Ho hum.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:43 AM, Bison44 said:

I still wish we had sent Hagglund to West Ham(via cyrpus) instead of Henry.  

If you measure him by his defensive play, he has been very good during this stretch since Moor's absence.  The analytics may support this as well.

Great to see Chapman have a big time bounce back performance following his tentative sub appearance vs Chicago.  Really took advantage of his opportunity and delivered today.

Yes.  I thought Hagglund has been very good for the team.   Even with Moor out of the line up, the club hasnt lost a beat defensively and are still top three in league as far as goals against.  Plus he is very valuable to team when coming fwd on corner kicks because of his height, an area that the team lacks.  

As far as chapman,  in yesterday's first half,  that was one of the best performances i have seen by a cnd player for TFC.  I was surprised that he was subbed out.  He was much more influential than Delgado.

It really augures well for the club when you can deliver this kind of performance and result on the road and against Seattle. And, while sitting out your best player along with more than half of the starting lineup. 

PS.:  can someone explain to me the rationale behind the big hype for Jordan Morris?  Obviously i dont follow all the the Sounders games.   But this  guy is touted as the next messiah of US soccer.  And, in the games that i have seen,  i havent noticed him..  Plus he has something like two goals and he is the same age as Cyle Larin

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

As far as chapman,  in yesterday's first half,  that was one of the best performances i have seen by a cnd player for TFC.  I was surprised that he was subbed out.  He was much more influential than Delgado.

In the first half he was certainly afforded a lot of room to operate and he took advantage of this to make good things happen.  I dare say that the opponent didn't really game plan for his influence until they made some changes at the half.

I think the coaching staff likes to use Delgado as a more defensively inclined guy who can maintain shape, awareness and support for when the other guys have the ball, whereas Chapman looked to have a more attack minded/Vazquez role.  I was really impressed with some of Chapman subtle runs, sliding smoothly into a space to provide a passing angle, which happened on the play leading to the penalty.

If you include Cheyrou's strong performance yesterday,  the coaching staff is left with a Cadillac problem of many capable midfielders vying for limited starting minutes.  It will be challenging for those deemed lower on the depth chart to sit and watch after this busy stretch of games ends. 

This has been a fun team to watch.  The passing and movement have been superb at times.  I just hope that they can play this kind of good football when it really counts (October).

Chapman getting a 2nd consecutive start tonight in Columbus - Osorio also starting. Ricketts & Edwards on the bench but no Hamilton this time, nor Morgan who didn't see the field for TFC II either so I guess it still is too early for him in terms of his injury status.

In terms of non-Canucks, no Giovinco tonight either - apparently has a heel injury but they are hopeful he'll be ready for Saturday

Edwards comes in and has a hand in both goals as Ricketts scores two, like I said just like the NBA Canadian players should earn playing time they should not get playing time just because they are Canadian it should be earned, if your good enough you play simple as that, and Edwards is proving that, he is playing because he is earning it and so is Ricketts and Champan and Osorio too, if you earn it you play if not you don't no matter where you are from, just like the NBA Canadian players that play in the NBA have earned it, they are not playing there just because they are Canadian.

Archived