2017 Toronto FC season (aka the 2017 MLS Cup clinching thread)

shermanator

On 2017-05-17 at 0:52 PM, Jahinho Guerro said:

With how common this whole heart thing has been coming up in recent times. ....I wonder how much players youth/amateur/professional who don't have access to the level of analysis/tools to diagnose these issues.

I've always favoured allowing 5 subs plus the keeper doesn't count as a sub. Way too much conditioning because of the limited subs IMHO.

Real glad to hear he's doing fine.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

With the three must start rule for the Canadian Championship - who do you think gets the nod tomorrow night and is it even possible that TFC might even start more than the minimum?  I would think Edwards, Ricketts and one of Osorio or Chapman.  Any chance Morgan sees the field?

My best guess is Hamilton, Chapman, Edwards and Morgan all start. Given that Giovinco and Altidore are both out for Friday's game, TFC will rest Ricketts as he'll surely start Friday. This will also be a good chance to get Morgan back in the first team, and have Edwards further up the pitch. And a few extra days off for Osorio with his recent heart monitoring.

All I know is I really do not want to see Spencer in the lineup in favour of Hamilton tomorrow. 

43 minutes ago, shermanator said:

My best guess is Hamilton, Chapman, Edwards and Morgan all start. Given that Giovinco and Altidore are both out for Friday's game, TFC will rest Ricketts as he'll surely start Friday. This will also be a good chance to get Morgan back in the first team, and have Edwards further up the pitch. And a few extra days off for Osorio with his recent heart monitoring.

All I know is I really do not want to see Spencer in the lineup in favour of Hamilton tomorrow. 

You know it's just a matter of time until he jumps over Hamilton in the pecking order!

12 hours ago, gator said:

You know it's just a matter of time until he jumps over Hamilton in the pecking order!

Given the three sitters he missed for TFC II last Friday and that he remains goalless now dating back to *last* season, I don't know that will happen any time soon despite the love that they seem to have for this guy (I've heard that back in their Salt Lake days, Vanney was somewhat of a personal mentor for him). Then again, watch him start tonight and bag a brace, just to spite us all!

Well I guess we'll just see where the loyalties are tonight eh?  Morgan has had a couple run outs with TFC2 so he is due for some first team minutes, Chapman has looked ok in limited minutes, he needs another shot.  Hamilton's scoring last year justifies his inclusion tonight.  Edwards might be rested but you could always throw Camgaro in to see if he is worth keeping around.  There is no reason why TFC couldnt or shouldnt have 4 CDN out there.  

------------Hamilton--------Ricketts-----------

-------Osorio-----Chapman-----Delgado-------

Edwards----------Cheyrou----------Endo----------

-----------Mavinga--Moor--Zavaleta-----------------

----------------------Irwin-------------------------------

Bench:

Cooper, Morgan, Beitashour, Camargo, Bono, Alseth, Spencer

A few notes on TFC from John Molinaro:

- Vanney believes Osorio played well Tuesday. I know some supporters were ripping the performances of all the Canadians in that game.

- Bradley and Altidore are both out of the lineup for the second leg of the Voyageurs Cup and the New England game due to a US friendly. Potentially an opportunity for Ricketts and maybe Hamilton to redeem themselves for Tuesday's performance?

4 minutes ago, shermanator said:

- Vanney believes Osorio played well Tuesday. I know some supporters were ripping the performances of all the Canadians in that game.

- Bradley and Altidore are both out of the lineup for the second leg of the Voyageurs Cup and the New England game due to a US friendly. Potentially an opportunity for Ricketts and maybe Hamilton to redeem themselves for Tuesday's performance?

Poor decision by Vanney not to play them in the first leg against Ottawa. If you are going to lose two of your top 3 players, you might as well play them while available. Now TFC is down 2-1 without Bradley and Atidore to dig them out of that hole. 

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Not sure either of those guys have much to redeem themselves for - I would have thought Chapman and Edwards had more to atone for on the Canuck player front (although Edwards obviously can't in the second leg).

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure either of those guys have much to redeem themselves for - I would have thought Chapman and Edwards had more to atone for on the Canuck player front (although Edwards obviously can't in the second leg).

I would agree with you on Chapman; he definitely has the most motivation for the return leg.

What stuck out in my mind for both Ricketts and Hamilton was that their finishing was poor in the first leg. Hamilton did have that nice 1-2 touch on the Cheyrou goal, but didn't do much else in the game. For a player who's finishing is his best asset (IMO of course), he'll want that sitter of a header at the back post back. Ricketts whiffing twice in front of goal is the only notable thing I can remember him doing.

I think with RIcketts his goals lately have done alot to make us forget all the whiffs and shots into the 40th row on his highlight reel.  There was a reason alot of us were frustrated with his national team play.  He works hard, runs hard and is johnny on the spot to bang in goals but he has never been efficient with his chances.   He is more likely to blow a sitter, then later somehow jump on a scramble in the box and score.  The good outweighs the bad.....for now.  

Hamilton played 90 minutes three days ago while Spencer didn't play a minute so this makes sense from a squad rotation point of view - especially as I would guess Hamilton will start on Weds.

What doesn't make sense is that Spencer was promoted to the first team in the first place after no goals and a ton of missed chances at the USL level over two seasons. Hopefully from TFC fan point of view he will pot a couple tonight to shut me up about that.

I will give him credit for a nice takeaway and assist but overall Spencer does not look MLS quality to me - I hadn't realized how incredibly slow he is until now and surprisingly he doesn't seem to be able to win a header either (at least by half time he hasn't). In the long run Hamilton shouldn't have anything to worry about (but then I would have said the same thing about Babouli).

Hamilton scores and gets assist on Osorio's goal and a nice assist by Hamilton and a well taken goal by Osorio, on Hamilton's goal an all Canadian affair , Osorio to Edwards and Edwards with the perfect cross to Hamilton who heads in a nice goal, make the final TFC 5 Columbus 0, as Vic Rauter would say .

Did anyone else turn the sound off after halftime.  Stevie Caldwell fawning over Spencer, his life story his relationship with Vanney since he was 15, his recovery from surgery...blah blah blah.  Then Vic gives Spencer the halftime sideline interview.  I almost stopped watching.  

I'm glad I didnt as I got to see Hamilton spring Osorio for a beauty (his first of season) and nice header finish on a all-canadian goal from and Edwards cross.  All that in 30min. 

37 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Did anyone else turn the sound off after halftime.  Stevie Caldwell fawning over Spencer, his life story his relationship with Vanney since he was 15, his recovery from surgery...blah blah blah.  Then Vic gives Spencer the halftime sideline interview.  I almost stopped watching.  

I was in the stands where many of the sounds I heard several spectators complaining  that Spencer was obviously too slow. Haven't watched my pvr recording yet but I am curious to hear about this special relationship between Vanney and Spencer - I had been told around a month ago that Spencer for a time was sleeping on Vanney's couch back in their Salt Lake days, so hearing this latest bit of news and seeing him play it really comes across like a case of almost surrogate nepotism. 

I know!!  When i heard the story i thought well its his son in law, but NO, thats Zaveletta.  Which is weird because I think for the money they spend on him Zaveletta is not that bad.  But Spencer...yipes!  And to think they let Babouli go to make room for him.  Vic Router better watch out, Vanney's brother in law is a sideline reporter.  

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Vazquez's free kick under the wall directly references a Ronaldinho free kick vs. Werder Bremen, last game of Champions group stage, 2006. Vázquez had just joined the first team of Barça that year, 19 years old.

I was in the stands, 2nd tier, directly above that side of the goal. 

lol you couldn't resist adding that last part.

Archived